The Politics Thread 2019

Day

8 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not this one! Read the articles I posted then tell us that PIP is fit for purpose. And if you still then believe it is, how about capital punishment? Would you argue that it's ok to hang a few thousand innocent men as long as a actual murderers get punished too? That's not a spurious analogy either it's precisely the argument you are using. People are being driven to suicide by a system that treats cheats and the vulnerable as if they are the same thing and you're defending it!

I actually despair of this whole debate. I've got time for you as you know but you post about the left's rigid dogmas and opinions but seem wholly blind to your own. Where's the balance you often allude to in that? I'm sorry but the door swings both ways. 

Anyway, bed for me now as my blood is up!

I always have time for you. ( and Stiv) - We are on different wings but I like to think play to the same human rule book. 
I also know what it’s like when blood is up. I am very capable of having a rant and being a bit immovable on my pet topics. 

There are a number of government systems that are cheap, tacky and poorly executed. I could rage about anything from policing to the endemic drug dealing we have. And that is before I even start on tax laws and enforcement. ( too many loopholes and chasing the wrong targets.

What I said in my post was in full agreement with Stiv, It’s a rotten system, but asked how we could make a better one that was fairer, worked and was efficient at the same time. It was a straight question 

hope you slept well 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Honestly I'd let doctors and nurses make those decisions. Why we subcontract it to a bureau paid on results (i.e. people put back into the job pool) I can't understand. 

Of course that would be impossible without resourcing the NHS, which this government is committed to not doing. 

I agree...mostly.

People with long term conditions, such as cancer, serious illnesses etc will be under care from a consultant most likely, let the system use the cases notes, details in order to make a PIP decision.

The most common payments, I believe but stand to be corrected are conditions like depression and back pain, and while this may sound harsh they are the sort of conditions that maybe do warrant some sort of extra assessment, or a more regular assessment. Appreciate you will think me cruel and harsh but they strike me as the type of conditions that can be 'exaggerated' by the claimant.

We all have stories, my brother in laws brother who used to go the GP with stones in his shoes to help him exaggerate his back pain, or the guy who was friends with my sister who claimed disability for back pain but was often known to be underneath cars earning a bit of cash in hand.

So for me I would ask why we can't have a tiered system, those people with (like that chap in the article earlier on) get their renewal signed off by their consultant/gp every x number of years no 'assessment' needed, and save the assessment for those where the conditions are quite so cut and dried and obvious.

Ok sounds simplistic I know, but why is there a need to push everyone down the same route?

I am not belittling back pain or depression btw, god knows I have had my problems with mental health which has left me off work, but on the other hand I am familiar with the complexities some people have when claiming disability payments. It is something I myself may have to do one day, I have a blood cancer and have got to know lots of people through having my condition, many of those have been refused PIP or had it made difficult. The reason is often because 'sometimes' you are ok (I am most times so im ok) but some people suffer terrible fatigue that rules them out of work, but there are days when they could perhaps work, but how do you hold a job down when you cannot possibly know when you are going to be fit to work or not, unfortunately assessments dont see this, this is why I agree with you, those peoples consultant is in a far better position to state if that person is fit to work or not.

Do whatever you like folks, if you want to vote for whoever, vote, if you don’t vote, that’s fine too...... I’ve made mistakes in the past on a personal level trying to tell people what to do, what they can and can’t have...... one thing I’ve learned, the general public don’t like being told the above......

Think thats where my politics is at..... conclude yourselves what it is. 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Can I say what I think of Corbyn 

No I would be banned from the forum 

Go ahead and say it. I'm sure it can't be any worse than the smear campaign the right-wing media are running on Corbyn.

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Absolutely disgraceful. And rightly suspended.

Actually, it is thought that Zionists did meet with representatives of the Nazis before the war, with a view to 'repatriating' all German Jews to the middle east. Reinhard Heydrich is thought to have undertaken trips to Jerusalem as part of the discussion, perhaps even being accompanied by his boss, Himmler himself.

To call it 'collaboration', however, is a gross distortion of the true situation, especially given that these alleged meetings took place before the plans for the Final Solution were drawn up.

They all have something to hide.

The question is the degree they will go to hide it

Do they want it hidden because it’s embarrassing in a private sense or an electoral sense 

And finally it is down to us .. how much do we care about individuals hidden secrets. 

There will be Corbyn supporters who think his “guilty secrets” are politically speaking something to be proud of and Boris supporters who think being Jack the lad with women 10/15 years his junior is a bit of a good on you mate.

i strongly suspect that the 20% of folk who are fully in to an ideology will excuse anything as long as they agree with a person who shares the same view. 

Archived