The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/11/2019 at 10:56, GboroRam said:

I've just seen the website myeu.uk. Interesting to see how much EU funding is in the local area. Within a mile of my house the EU spent £1.2m.

If only the EU had advertised the work they do better, maybe people would be more supportive of them. 

How very kind of the EU, and I bet we only have to give them £3.6m towards that £1.2m!

On 01/11/2019 at 18:12, G STAR RAM said:

I'm sure it's been asked before but what business are you in that is being destroyed by Brexit?

I'm in engineering. I work in a niche sector (it's not exactly rocket science, but it is unique) and although there is small demand in the UK, most of my work (I guess 90% to 95%) is carried-out in mainland Europe.

If we leave the EU, it will make the company I work for very difficult to give me contracts anymore (not impossible, just VERY awkward).

Imagine you live in a house and when you go to bed, I guess you use the stairs? If we leave the EU, in my current position, it would be like someone ripping-out the staircase and replacing it with a rickety ladder.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

I'm in engineering. I work in a niche sector (it's not exactly rocket science, but it is unique) and although there is small demand in the UK, most of my work (I guess 90% to 95%) is carried-out in mainland Europe.

If we leave the EU, it will make the company I work for very difficult to give me contracts anymore (not impossible, just VERY awkward).

Imagine you live in a house and when you go to bed, I guess you use the stairs? If we leave the EU, in my current position, it would be like someone ripping-out the staircase and replacing it with a rickety ladder.

Project Fear mate! I think you'll find you just have to puff out your chest proclaim how proud you are to be British and the rest of the world will build you a gold-encrusted escalator

25 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Project Fear mate! I think you'll find you just have to puff out your chest proclaim how proud you are to be British and the rest of the world will build you a gold-encrusted escalator

I think he's failing to take into consideration the fact he'll have bendy bananas again. Makes it all worthwhile. 

13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think he's failing to take into consideration the fact he'll have bendy bananas again. Makes it all worthwhile. 

And kids will be able to call binliners black bags again, plus they'll be able to use them to go sledging again without the PC brigade getting all full of themselves.

(Expecting a genuine clap like from @cstand for this)

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50280848

General election 2019: Nigel Farage will not stand as candidate.

So only took him to fail 7 times before the penny drops.  Probably realised that he gets a better wedge from his non attendance of the EP.

And that sums up the EU, we pay vast amounts into it for them to redistribute the money to MEPs for doing nothing.

3 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Obviously sorry to hear about your predicament. 

Out of interest, why would us being out of the EU make it hard for firms to give you contracts?

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Jeez.  That old chestnut. That one was old when Forest were good.  About as original as a Knock Knock joke.

Think I read somewhere that Johnson invented that story himself when his job was to live in Brussels and make lies up about the EU for the Telegraph.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

So should we destroy it for everyone who needs it because of a few who misuse it? 

No, not at all. I previously said that it needs reforming and properly funding. 

In it's current form I no longer see it as being a fair system fit for purpose.

If I am going to be making contributions towards it then I expect to have exactly the same level of access to it as everyone else.

Archived