The Politics Thread 2019

David

Just now, SchtivePesley said:

This is the main point being missed by those who think "but the trial wasn't even affected by his actions" is some sort of argument.

Contempt of court is the offence regardless of whether it has a material effect AND regardless of whether you are aware that you are doing it!

Like driving 70mph in a 40mph zone - doesn't matter if you didn't injure anyone, or that you didn't see the speed limit signs. The offence is what it is

And one can hardly assess the damage done until any appeals are dealt with anyway, not that such small matters as any defendants going free are part of his devotees' thought processes. I doubt any real material damage has been done in all truth but more by luck than judgement. 

EVen more hilariously, they've now taken to pretesting outside Bellmarsh as if a 100 50 year old beer guzzlers trying (and failing) to chant in time is going to force the prison service's hand. They even said a prayer for him which was a nice if somewhat surreal touch what with Tommeh being such a devout and god-fearing Christian sort of fella! 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is fanboi the new word used by people unprepared to engage is sensible debate and who see their opinion as being unopen to challenge?

No - the current definition is

FANBOI

noun: Sometimes fan·boi. an obsessive male fan who demonstrates intense excitement at the mention or in the presence of a particular celebrity, film, product, etc

So I think it's use in the preceding post was pretty accurate.

48 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

No - the current definition is

So I think it's use in the preceding post was pretty accurate.

That was precisely my intention.

The EU will give in “very quickly” after a no-deal Brexit and start talks on a trade deal because of the UK’s “size and importance” - Stephen Barclay

Now let's try it again, but this time, without the unicorns...

The UK will give in “very quickly” after a no-deal Brexit and accept whatever is offered because of the EU’s “size and importance”.

After 24 hours of silence on this thread about a self serving egotistical racist.  Maybe we should be more concerned about a bigger narcissistic racist. Donald Trump a man who his not only openly racist but uses racism as a political tool, to attack not only four women but also their supporters and the political party they represent. 

Worryingly there are politicians in the UK that want to emulate what Trump is doing in America over here. Trump's blueprint of playing on peoples fear of mass immigration, a make America great again slogan, promising better health care while trying to making it worse for the people and better for insurance companies, giving tax cuts to rich individuals and claiming great trade deals with other countries

Change the word America for Britain. Change one moron with a dodgy blond hairstyle for another and who do we get. Not Boris the jovial bumbling chappy but Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson a lying two faced womanizing racist and incompetent politician. Who will stab anyone in the back, in his quest to gain the country's highest office.

13 hours ago, 1of4 said:

After 24 hours of silence on this thread about a self serving egotistical racist.  Maybe we should be more concerned about a bigger narcissistic racist. Donald Trump a man who his not only openly racist but uses racism as a political tool, to attack not only four women but also their supporters and the political party they represent. 

Worryingly there are politicians in the UK that want to emulate what Trump is doing in America over here. Trump's blueprint of playing on peoples fear of mass immigration, a make America great again slogan, promising better health care while trying to making it worse for the people and better for insurance companies, giving tax cuts to rich individuals and claiming great trade deals with other countries

Change the word America for Britain. Change one moron with a dodgy blond hairstyle for another and who do we get. Not Boris the jovial bumbling chappy but Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson a lying two faced womanizing racist and incompetent politician. Who will stab anyone in the back, in his quest to gain the country's highest office.

Whilst I personally really loathe Trump and his antics there are facts that cannot be denied: The US economy is doing pretty well, unemployment is down by 250000, wages are up, the dollar is doing well.

I hope for the same here post Brexit whoever's in charge.

6 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Whilst I personally really loathe Trump and his antics there are facts that cannot be denied: The US economy is doing pretty well, unemployment is down by 250000, wages are up, the dollar is doing well.

You are not linking the upturn in the USA economy with Trump?  That up turn started at the end of Obama's first term and grew, slowly but steadily since then.  Now we are seeing the top of the cycle, and Trump is just riding the wave that started long before he decided to run for office.

Trump is enjoying some good times, however it is rooted in what was done previously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-45827430

48 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Well, the Office For Budget Responsibility (a government department) has released a report today that states that even a 'managed no deal' exit will cause a recession with at least a 2% fall in GDP next year, and a disorderly no deal will be far worse than that. On the other hand, Jacob Rees-Mogg reckons that he - sorry, we - will be 80 billion a year better off.

Experts, eh?

Anti illegal immigration. America will continue to allow immigration. People that cross the border illegally are criminals. People that enable them are criminals. People that encourage them are idiots who facilitate the exploitation of desperate people by gangs and traffickers.

47 minutes ago, Anon said:

Anti illegal immigration. America will continue to allow immigration. People that cross the border illegally are criminals. People that enable them are criminals. People that encourage them are idiots who facilitate the exploitation of desperate people by gangs and traffickers.

Without going into Trump's previously proposed travel ban on legal immigrants - I read this with horror

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-regarding-emergency-measures-address-border-crisis/

Some of the language used is incredibly hostile..

"invaded", "lawless chaos", "extraordinary threat", "severe and dangerous consequences", "deadly and vicious gangs", grave disaster", "violating the sovereign territory", "dire threat"

No matter what the reality of the situation, it's horrible populist rhetoric designed to increase conflict and stoke hate. For all the talk we've had of TR  in the UK, at least "our" guy knows how to be subtle in his racism.

And then he has the brassneck to say "For years, Mexico has not treated us fairly" - seemingly oblivious to the fact that if the US had been a better neighbour in the past then Mexicans would have no need to escape to the US illegally

17 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Without going into Trump's previously proposed travel ban on legal immigrants - I read this with horror

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-regarding-emergency-measures-address-border-crisis/

Some of the language used is incredibly hostile..

"invaded", "lawless chaos", "extraordinary threat", "severe and dangerous consequences", "deadly and vicious gangs", grave disaster", "violating the sovereign territory", "dire threat"

No matter what the reality of the situation, it's horrible populist rhetoric designed to increase conflict and stoke hate. For all the talk we've had of TR  in the UK, at least "our" guy knows how to be subtle in his racism.

And then he has the brassneck to say "For years, Mexico has not treated us fairly" - seemingly oblivious to the fact that if the US had been a better neighbour in the past then Mexicans would have no need to escape to the US illegally

All those things are true. I don't think anyone should ignore the "reality of the situation" for fear of sounding like a "horrible populist".

Mexicans don't have a need to escape to the US, they have a desire to. The country is not a warzone. I agree that certain US policies do exacerbate problems in Mexico, but the US is by no means the root cause of Mexico's problems.

8 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Brexit - This is an interesting piece (Panorama tonight) about how we got to where we are...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49008826

"10 things that stopped Brexit happening"

They have missed out the real reason... that the ERG (Boris and co) were playing politics in order to get their man in the leaders job. Brexit could have happened by now.  They have had 3 votes on it. Each time the Brexiteers blocked it.  

Sheryl Crow would call that ironic.

Did anybody see the insane kipper-waving rant from Bonkers Boris last night, where he was blaming the EU for 'red tape' requiring individually-packed kippers sent by post to be accompanied with an individual ice pack?

Turns out that it's a British regulation, and not the EU.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-kipper-rant-eu-rules-uk-commission-speech-a9010436.html

You couldn't make it up - ok, you couldn't make it up if you were sane. It's straight out of his 'straight bananas' playbook.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

All those things are true. I don't think anyone should ignore the "reality of the situation" for fear of sounding like a "horrible populist".

Mexicans don't have a need to escape to the US, they have a desire to. The country is not a warzone. I agree that certain US policies do exacerbate problems in Mexico, but the US is by no means the root cause of Mexico's problems.

It's one of the early steps in the Fascist Playbook - dehumanisation of one group of society and then getting other groups of society to accept said dehumanisation as 'normal'.

Archived