Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

Lampard won’t be waiting to find out via a formal approach whether Chelsea want him or not. He’ll have known either way for ages. Similarly, Chelsea will have known all along whether Lampard wants a move to Chelsea now or not. If a move was happening, he wouldn’t be talking to us about a new contract.

He’s going nowhere. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Frank and was happy when he took over.

However, am I the only one who thinks that, if he’s still a Ram, next season may be more of a struggle; the ‘2nd season syndrome’?

We’re unlikely to get arguably our two best players back, Tomori and Mount (Although I accept other loans may be available).

It’s also looking unlikely that Frank will have much money. Even if rumours of new investment are true, FFP may dictate that we can’t spend it.

I’m also not as convinced as others that Frank has given youth a chance. Wilson/Mount/Tomori yes, but all loans.

Bogle is, therefore, the only success from the academy this season. Frank has put youngsters on the bench and threw Max Bird into the lions den at Villa, but its been patchy.

I question, therefore, whether he is best placed to bring our youngsters through next season?

As I said, I like Frank and don’t underestimate the importance of Jody, who may be the real power behind the throne but, if we’re mid table by December, we may look back at this moment as an opportunity missed to stick Chelsea for some hefty compensation and recruit a manager with a mandate to bring through our academy players.

Maybe Mel could play a blinder and get a big compo package for Frank and then move heaven and Earth to promote Jody. Morris is also Chelsea inside and out BUT would the lure of being NO.1 at Derby be tempting, especially as he can see the fine work done by the academy?

Sky Sports are reporting that Lampard would find it impossible to refuse Chelsea when they come in for him. I imagine the new contract offered by us would be to get a greater compo package all round, like we could get 7-8 million in compensation instead of the reported 4 million. We don’t have a lot of money to spend because of ffp so any bit of extra money we can get will be beneficial. Contracts in football don’t mean a great lot

Sith Happens
Just now, McLovin said:

Sky Sports are reporting that Lampard would find it impossible to refuse Chelsea when they come in for him. I imagine the new contract offered by us would be to get a greater compo package all round, like we could get 7-8 million in compensation instead of the reported 4 million. We don’t have a lot of money to spend because of ffp so any bit of extra money we can get will be beneficial. Contracts in football don’t mean a great lot

Hes not going to sign a contract just to give us more compo, unless he is thinking of not leaving for another 12 or 24 months or so.

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Baaaaaaaaaaaalocks

Just now, Birdyabroad said:

However, am I the only one who thinks that, if he’s still a Ram, next season may be more of a struggle; the ‘2nd season syndrome’?

Depends what you mean by struggle.

I’ve seen some suggest Lampard has been another failure to add to the list of those that haven’t taken us up, now if you’re judging any manager solely on promotion we’re going to need a toilet roll to list all the failed managers in the Football League.

Lampard would have been set KPI, clearly a new contract being offered suggests he met those and the club are happy with the season we have had, not sharing the view he failed. Ultimately the club decide if a manager has failed or not, failure is shown by handing out P45’s and success/failure is not always judged on where you are in the table. 

The problem Lampard will have if he stays is with the fans that have labelled him a failure, he’s left himself with no room for improvement without promotion, anything but will be seen as a backwards step. I’m sure the argument would be that even if we finished 4th but lost in the semi’s he will have taken us backwards.

Now others would point to the number of players lost, aware players don’t always hit the ground running and afford Lampard time and patience to get it right, we finished higher in the table and the play offs anything can happen.

The counter to that will be but he’s had a clean slate, still hasn’t taken us up, had this much to spend, failed, should have gone to Chelsea, can we still sell him for £4m.

So “struggle” really depends on how you view last season. If you think it was a failure then yes the chances are we will struggle.

If you’re in the mind that he had a great first season in charge, then you will probably be optimistic that things will get better, more consistency, development of youth, creating a core that can take us forward whilst maybe not taking us up.

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Sky Sports don't know their arse from their elbow.

They have reported so many different things, they reported in the week that Chelsea had approached us to speak to Frank, now they are saying 'when' they approach.

Sky Sports are not only ruining football, they are actually targeting clubs, pushing for stories to happen, trying to get players band (Tom Lawrence) and engineer fixtures like Villa v Leeds and now they are falsely reporting stories about our manager.

How can it be allowed? The organisation that funds the Premier League, that keeps the rich rich and the poor clubs poor, how can they have such a big say in the reporting of the sport?

27 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Just can’t see him basically telling his new club ‘o yeah if you want me I just signed a deal to double the amount you have to pay for me. Even though you’re my dream job and I love the club.’

Frank will know that he's got something special at Derby.  His team, the players, the fans, the board, the whole club are with him.  He'll  know that despite doing a great job so far there are things that he'll want to learn and improve on. He also knows that he has the capability to manage Chelsea.  But I suspect that when he takes that job he'll want to hit the ground running and have instant impact.  So with only a season under his belt he has a choice...

Continue to grow and learn in a relatively safe environment with a realistic chance of delivering success alongside and for a whole raft of people that he enjoys working with.

Or gamble on a scenario where his managerial future could conceivably rely on Tammy Abraham leading the line against Barca, Madrid, Man City etc and hope he can not only deliver but be the first manager since Mourinho to go on to have a notable career after Chelsea.

1 hour ago, David said:

You believe the reports it’s done, but not the reports compensation has been agreed despite it coming from the same media outlets?

Its done.

just i's to dot and t's to cross

one set on patio furniture available on gumtree. Buyer to collect from hazelwood.

34 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Stop and think about that for a minute.

If Lampard knew his move to Chelsea was imminent, why would he want to see his new employers pay extra £4m for him?

Something to brag about down the pub how much Chelsea paid for him, do you think Frank and Roman would laugh about it over a pina colada on his yacht out in Med?

Again, just stop and think about how that would go down it’s Chelsea after weeks of negotiations with Juventus over Sarri’s compensation.

Frank what are you doing, we told you we was coming for you, why did you sign that thing?

IF he signs a new contract, I think it’s safe to say he won’t be the next Chelsea manager, that’s not to say he couldn’t be gone in 6 months, but I just don’t see him signing to leave a week later and I’m sure Derby wouldn’t want that either, I mean I’m sure we wouldn’t turn down a few extra million but it would be a brainless move from the Chelsea perspective.

IF Frank felt like he owed us in someway and wanted to help us out, the compensation plus Tomori on loan or even cut price deal would be a nice gesture, maybe a buy back option inserted to protect themselves down the line if he turns out to be the real deal.

Not having this signing a deal to give us more compensation, not a chance.

And most importantly, how would the bounce work at Chelsea?

'If you don't flipping bounce then you're a red, or maybe a white with black shorts, or even a white with dark blue shorts, or claret and blue, ooh and don't forget those light blue northern monkeys too, etc..'

I think it's a case of 'Frankie, Frankie forget the bounce'.

22 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Sky Sports don't know their arse from their elbow.

They have reported so many different things, they reported in the week that Chelsea had approached us to speak to Frank, now they are saying 'when' they approach.

Sky Sports are not only ruining football, they are actually targeting clubs, pushing for stories to happen, trying to get players band (Tom Lawrence) and engineer fixtures like Villa v Leeds and now they are falsely reporting stories about our manager.

How can it be allowed? The organisation that funds the Premier League, that keeps the rich rich and the poor clubs poor, how can they have such a big say in the reporting of the sport?

They pay the money and they say who is going to get it. Also do you not think they are generating money for sky bet? They would keep loads of profit if Chelsea appoint someone else ( imagine if this was bet 365 and stoke city - insider dealing or what) 

14 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

The more this drags on the more I think Frank will stay. I just hope this situation isn't affecting our recruitment plans and preparations.

It has to be affecting players we have under contract and under offer of contract which is all made worse if we have someone new in post 

Rudd Gullit got me chuckling this morning when they interviewed him on skysports News and he said lampard had achieved nothing yet in management but Chelsea where they sack managers who actually win trophies. - which is the actual reality 

12 minutes ago, David said:

IF he signs a new contract, I think it’s safe to say he won’t be the next Chelsea manager, that’s not to say he couldn’t be gone in 6 months, but I just don’t see him signing to leave a week later and I’m sure Derby wouldn’t want that either, I mean I’m sure we wouldn’t turn down a few extra million but it would be a brainless move from the Chelsea perspective.

This is the thing though isn't it, how much stability can the Club have when we're forever discussing when is Lampard going to leave? When is the best time for him to move on...

11 minutes ago, David said:

Stop and think about that for a minute.

If Lampard knew his move to Chelsea was imminent, why would he want to see his new employers pay extra £4m for him?

Something to brag about down the pub how much Chelsea paid for him, do you think Frank and Roman would laugh about it over a pina colada on his yacht out in Med?

Again, just stop and think about how that would go down it’s Chelsea after weeks of negotiations with Juventus over Sarri’s compensation.

Frank what are you doing, we told you we was coming for you, why did you sign that thing?

IF Frank felt like he owed us in someway and wanted to help us out, the compensation plus Tomori on loan or even cut price deal would be a nice gesture, maybe a buy back option inserted to protect themselves down the line if he turns out to be the real deal.

Not having this signing a deal to give us more compensation, not a chance.

We shall see, time will tell. I’d be amazed if Lampard isn’t the new chelsea manager . I expect that the new contract will contain a release clause which Chelsea will gladly pay if they really want him. Let’s face it, who else can they get? Allegri was the main other target and he’s ruled himself out by saying he’s having a sabbatical. Chelsea are getting 60 odd million for Morata leaving and all the money for the Hazard deal, money won’t be an issue there.  I’ve seen it too many times in football, x player signs a massive bumper contract before moving to another club so the current club can get the most money possible because he wants to thank the current club and want to help that club in any way they can. Maybe Lampard feels that is the one way he can owe us as a way of almost an apology if he joins chelsea? 

Archived