Signing Tomori permanently needs to be a priority this summer

RamLad1884

We can’t afford him, simple as that unless we are promoted. I don’t think he will be Chelsea ready by next season so every chance we could get him for another season on loan. He does have bad games but far more good ones, including last night. All the TV pundits were lauding him, with Danny Murphy very impressed. What I can’t understand is why on earth did a poster on the match thread, describe him as an embarrassment. Now everyone is entitled to an opinion but when one is so ludicrous, surely other posters should be able to critique their opinion without receiving a warning point???

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Doodle said:

We can’t afford him, simple as that unless we are promoted. I don’t think he will be Chelsea ready by next season so every chance we could get him for another season on loan. He does have bad games but far more good ones, including last night. All the TV pundits were lauding him, with Danny Murphy very impressed. What I can’t understand is why on earth did a poster on the match thread, describe him as an embarrassment. Now everyone is entitled to an opinion but when one is so ludicrous, surely other posters should be able to critique their opinion without receiving a warning point???

To be fair, the pundits spent most of the night 'analysing' the VAR decisions.

Not even a mention of the fact that Southampton should have been down to 10 men.

I think if they had analysed the Southampton goals in any great detail, Tomoris positioning for both goals could have been called into question. 

It was notable that none of the pundits last night were defenders.

4 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I like Tomori but playing Davies alongside Keogh is far more beneficial for Keogh's game, or at least it was under Rowett's tactics. Davies was immense last season and he brought out the best in Keogh.

I agree, but I bolded the part I find important. I don't think Davies would be as good under Lampard's style of play, because we prefer to play a higher line and need a lot of passing from the centre halves. Davies is both slower and worse at distribution than Tomori is. 

For raw ability, Tomori has it all. He is so far ahead of the likes of Michael Keane when we had him here. He needs coaching, massively, because at the moment he'll be excellent for 85 minutes but have moments of madness in him.

He's got loads of potential, certainly, so if we can sign him permanently then we should. 

15 hours ago, cosmic said:

I’m totally split down the middle about him. He’s obviously quality, and I see all the good that gets posted on here, his pace, composure, passing, tracking back and winning possession. But his inability to head the ball or stay close to his man in the box frustrates the hell out of me. Dealing with long balls and crosses in the box, and marking your man, are bread and butter for a defender. He just can’t do the basics, and it’s cost us far too many soft goals this season.

This 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The guy has some obvious qualities - pace, strength and quality on the ball. However, I feel he lacks qualities essential to centre backs - concentration, heading and positional sense. 

Concentration and positional sense are things that he should be able to improve on. He wins very little in the air and always looks like he is fouling every time he goes for a header.

I thought he had some outstanding moments last night but really didn't see him as MOTM based on his contribution for both of their goals.

If the price is right and the coaches believe they can improve his weaknesses he is worth a punt. 

If the price is high I would prefer to spend on a proactive rather than a reactive defender.

You’ve used my favourite phrase when describing tomori

reactive.... I’m the same, give me proactive every day of the week 

On 16/01/2019 at 23:37, RamLad1884 said:

Absolutely love the passion and commitment from our CB pairing, might not be the best defensively but my god Keogh and Tomori are exciting to watch. 

The calmness and maturity Tomori shows every week is an absolutely credit to the lad. To think he has plenty of time to improve yet is scary, genuinely think if we bagged him on a permanent deal he could go on to be a legend at the club. 

Sign him up Frankie 

Not sure that the player is for sale. 

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

If Chris Mepham is worth £15 million (and was discarded by Chelsea) what price for Tomori? In fact how do we replace the loan signings at the end of the season?

We just get the next biggest things to come from Premier League academy's, and back it up with our own players who've been out to get experience of proper football, like Lowe and Thomas.

Maybe more of a role for those who've been bought with one eye on the future, but been a part of the squad already, like Holmes, Evans and possibly Marriott, who may have surprised the management by being ready now, rather than playing second fiddle to Waghorn this season.

I've always thought Lampard's summer business was quite cute, some for now, some to develop for later, and exits on loan to prepare them for later challenges.

I've seen nothing to counteract that thought so far.

On 17/01/2019 at 07:11, NottsRam77 said:

Tell me im wrong 

the way he defended against sheff United and billy sharpe was not something too dissimilar to our relegation season 

the way he totally utterly lost kamal roofe for both his goals against us home and away this season was just plain poor 

got hauled off at sheff Wednesday at half time 

yes he’s a young talent, but for the money Chelsea would want I wouldn’t touch him with a barge poll

I realise there’s a lot of euphoria right now but when the dust settles we still conceded 4 goals over the tie and in the league our back line is the reason for our ups and downs 

I’m not saying I’m not happy with this season or frank, far from it delighted tbh and fully support him and his ethos but when asked the question should we sign him my answer is a firm no, I am allowed to disagree without being called negative 

someone higher up in this thread said that heading and marking arnt his game ...... ...yet seem to love him

for a centre half ... it’s kinda key u know 

and I’m in full agreement,  he can’t head or mark and I think that’s key for a good successful centre half, hence my answer

nothing wrong with that is there ?  

Here’s the thing for me , he a young player who is not yet pigeon holed into what# his best position , centre half ? Right back? Defensive midfield shielding centre halves ? Sweeper ? , 

he has been ever present at centre half because Davies is not fit ,has not been fit and is now long term injured 

so for me your wrong ,, sign the lad up if we possibly can ,worth his wieght in gold to our squad whether we are championship or prem 

Archived