'suspicious' man outside Derby County's training ground

minesahartington

Just did a quick google to see what Championship owners/DoFs/managers have been saying about it.  

Sheffield Utd - “It’s not something that we would do but I think the manager has been clever because the chant about Leeds United ('We all hate Leeds') will get a little bit louder now and they will love that siege mentality”

Norwich - “In general, I just can say we as a club don’t send any spies out and if there is a session behind closed doors we respect that.”

West Brom - 

Boro - Tony Pulis branded Leeds United head coach Marcelo Bielsa's decision to send a spy to Derby County's training ground "absolutely crazy."

Bristol - “The only thing that makes sense if I’m honest is a points deduction”

Birmingham - “There’s the other side, the ethical side and what we do over here. We like to think it’s fair sportsmanship in this country and we don’t like to see any of that. It’s not the right thing to do, it’s not ethical.”

Forest - 

Hull - “If that’s his preference that’s his preference. I don’t think there’s a need to go and do it because I think there’s enough stuff out there anyway.”

QPR - "If you’re sending people to clubs, ethically that doesn’t seem right but people gather information anyway”

Villa - ““I don’t think it’s right and it’s not something I’d think of doing myself. I’d never heard of it before - there’s not many out there doing it”

Swansea - "I have no problem with it. I know it’s a polarising subject and great for the media. But if someone has the resources and they want to use them to get in a car then watch us train, it’s not something I’m too bothered about”

Blackburn - “As a coach I think there’s a huge amount to be gained by knowing what the opposition is before the game kicks off. At the end of the day, I think it’s wrong. It’s bigger than what we think.”

Stoke - “When I was at Yeovil, for example, we didn’t have electric gates and so we always kept an eye on people walking their dogs!", Jones said. "But no you don’t expect what we’ve read”

Sheffield Weds - 

Brentford - ““I think of course it is about the etiquette. I think it’s about showing the right respect in general, that’s the first thing, you always have to define where that line is. I agree maybe that he has crossed a line he shouldn’t”

Preston - “I don't think it's normal practice in this country and I don't think it's sportsmanlike behaviour. I think it's a little bit underhand.”

Wigan - “Is it a little bit lacking in etiquette? Of course it is. Is it unethical? Yes. Does it lack class? Probably”

Millwall - "I think it is completely disrespectful to other teams and the spirit of the game in this country. The fact he doesn’t think he has done anything wrong is disappointing.”

Rotherham -

Reading - 

Bolton - 

Ipswich - 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just did a quick google to see what Championship owners/DoFs/managers have been saying about it.  

Sheffield Utd - “It’s not something that we would do but I think the manager has been clever because the chant about Leeds United ('We all hate Leeds') will get a little bit louder now and they will love that siege mentality”

Norwich - “In general, I just can say we as a club don’t send any spies out and if there is a session behind closed doors we respect that.”

West Brom - 

Boro - Tony Pulis branded Leeds United head coach Marcelo Bielsa's decision to send a spy to Derby County's training ground "absolutely crazy."

Bristol - “The only thing that makes sense if I’m honest is a points deduction”

Birmingham - “There’s the other side, the ethical side and what we do over here. We like to think it’s fair sportsmanship in this country and we don’t like to see any of that. It’s not the right thing to do, it’s not ethical.”

Forest - 

Hull - “If that’s his preference that’s his preference. I don’t think there’s a need to go and do it because I think there’s enough stuff out there anyway.”

QPR - "If you’re sending people to clubs, ethically that doesn’t seem right but people gather information anyway”

Villa - ““I don’t think it’s right and it’s not something I’d think of doing myself. I’d never heard of it before - there’s not many out there doing it”

Swansea - "I have no problem with it. I know it’s a polarising subject and great for the media. But if someone has the resources and they want to use them to get in a car then watch us train, it’s not something I’m too bothered about”

Blackburn - “As a coach I think there’s a huge amount to be gained by knowing what the opposition is before the game kicks off. At the end of the day, I think it’s wrong. It’s bigger than what we think.”

Stoke - “When I was at Yeovil, for example, we didn’t have electric gates and so we always kept an eye on people walking their dogs!", Jones said. "But no you don’t expect what we’ve read”

Sheffield Weds - 

Brentford - ““I think of course it is about the etiquette. I think it’s about showing the right respect in general, that’s the first thing, you always have to define where that line is. I agree maybe that he has crossed a line he shouldn’t”

Preston - “I don't think it's normal practice in this country and I don't think it's sportsmanlike behaviour. I think it's a little bit underhand.”

Wigan - “Is it a little bit lacking in etiquette? Of course it is. Is it unethical? Yes. Does it lack class? Probably”

Millwall - "I think it is completely disrespectful to other teams and the spirit of the game in this country. The fact he doesn’t think he has done anything wrong is disappointing.”

Rotherham -

Reading - 

Bolton - 

Ipswich - 

But everybody does it!

7 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Couldn't resist it. Please call me childish. I really do not care.

If I was a glory hunter I'd watch the prem and not Derby. 

Again, it's a shame that I can't express a different point of view on here without being rounded upon personally.

I think it's pathetic, quite honestly, a sad waste of time. 

I think its time to let this go.

Its a shame that it will significantly detract from the amazing job that he has done. 

Similarly it has over shadowed our win in the cup.

Having trawled my way all the way through this thread, in several sessions, I have to say that is probably the funniest and most entertaining thread I have seen for a long time. Thanks everyone for contributing! 

Back to the biz: Bielsa's press conference was a really clever thing to do. And although he is a fine man with the best of intentions, it was in reality full of underhanding shenanigans. He pulled the wool over most people with the display of his stunning thoroughness, professionalism and attention to detail. What they faild to notice were several: Firstly it was a massive prank on Derby County - a bit like teacher's pet lining all the classmates up on school photo day, and just as the shutter is about to be fired, pulls the pants down on the star pupil standing on the front row.

His focus on Derby County in his Powerpoint handed loads of detail to every other championship club. In reality. all EFL clubs will already have all this info, but it was a massive "up yours" to Derby County for daring to bring this into the light (this despite the fact that the spy was reported by a member of the public, not the Rams).

His display of all this wonderous, groundbreaking research, presented as though he was unique in doing this, was a massive smokescreen to divert attention away from the actual spying. 

He also contradicted himself, which as far as I know hasn't been spotted by any of the press as they pour over all the details. He stated that he didn't do this to gain an advantage (yeah, pull the other one), but then states that it does help him in team and tactics selection. Think of it this way - how come their right winger (Clark, was it?) suddenly flourished and looked a world beater, haven't not caused much interest before, and certainly not being a regular fixture in the team. Unless knowing in that Max Lowe would be playing, who is still a bit naive defensively, especially with regard to his positional play, and his weakness in preventing crosses (as all Rams full backs seem to be). That would be very advantageous to know immediately prior to the match. The pundits were all raving about Clark suddenly "coming of age". He did play really well, but was that because prior knowledge to the manager meant he was matched to the occasion?

Part of the problem of Derby not showing for the match wasn't just because Leeds had the right answer for everything they tried, including never previously seen training manouvers (allegedly), but that they knew that that was going to happen before they even put a foot onto the pitch. I know Frank let it get to him, and subsequently so did the players. However, 22 other teams had the same experience, but without the foreknowledge. They would therefore turn up and be beaten all ends up, convinced of just how much better Leeds United are than anyone else, which is the impression everyone has had of the Dirties up until now.

This is therefore no longer a spat between two teams with a history of not being the best of friends. It affects the whole of the Championship. I am not calling for the result to be reversed, or anything like that, but there must be serious action taken here, firstly to cut the practice out, but secondly to address the potential serious disadvantage to the rest of the EFL teams. 

It will be interesting to see, should an effective ruling be issued, whether Leeds' fantastic performances will continue. That Bielsa has transformed a bunch of average journeymen into what we have been seeing so far isn't in question. And they do have some talented players, but whether it will continue without the "insider dealing" remains to be seen.

I personally doubt whether any ruling will be any more than a slap on the wrist. In the same way that I don't expect any punishment for deliberately kicking a player in the face. Interesting how Bradley Johnson was tried and prosecuted within a matter of days of inflicting GBH on a bit of cloth. So the closing question is this: What if it was Derby county who had been caught spying?

2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

If I was a glory hunter I'd watch the prem and not Derby. 

Again, it's a shame that I can't express a different point of view on here without being rounded upon personally.

I think it's pathetic, quite honestly, a sad waste of time. 

By rounded upon do you mean disagreed with?

Or should we all agree to deem us not a waste of time? 

Did someone say Pochettino thinks Bielsa didn’t do anything wrong?

“For me, it’s wrong. I can understand Frank Lampard’s feelings.

”The English people and the culture you create in the past here gives you the opportunity to work in privacy that doesn’t happen maybe in Germany or Argentina or Spain.

”Of course it doesn’t change my view about Marcelo but I can’t agree with what happened.”

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/mauricio-pochettino-leeds-united-bielsa-15700616

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Its more than a little ironic that the so called "genius" has potentially disadvantaged his team by his cheating. Not so bright after all maybe?

Whereas Frank focused on 2 wins we have successful distracted Leeds, poor show from an outmanoeuvred manager in my opinion. Spent Wednesday pm explaining ho2 cheating gave them no advantage, idiot 

Archived