'suspicious' man outside Derby County's training ground

minesahartington

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If this happened to media darlings like Man United or Liverpool they would be totally different in their coverage of it. Because it's only Derby it can be laughed off. 

Sky spent ages banging on about it tbf, Keith Andrews wanted points deductions and Jermaine Jenas to, certainly wasnt favourable to us.

Not being laughed off by the EFL whose leader is Shaun Harvey, how ironic. 

Oh well, see what happens.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't a prayer of a points deduction, as much as you may hope.  There was no law broken - either a law of the game or a law of the land.  If there are no regulations that have been breached, there cannot be and points sanctions issued.  I read that the EFL have already confirmed that but haven't seen any official statement.

There may be some sort of fine for "bringing the game into disrepute" or some such guff. 

As if it's even serious enough for a points deduction anyway.  Fantasy land stuff.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe they're guilty of it too?

If he clearly didn't break any rules, then the EFL wouldn't bother with an investigation, they would have simply dismissed it.

Do they know exactly what happened? I don't and I'm sure most other people don't either.

All of this has been discussed over and over on the previous 40-odd pages

They probably are, thats the point imo, the reason there has been little condemnation inside football is because they all know it goes on.

There is no defined rule about it, they will either have to make one up or try and interpret one to suit them, its not technically illegal as everyone including Lampard i think has said.

Would think journalists with there connections would know, even Frank isnt sure what happened, Carson contradicted him as did the Police.

Indeed it has?

37 minutes ago, Pub Breath said:

Being popular is overrated.  Being a Leeds fan teaches you that ?

You kept asking @BathRam72 what investigation - I assume you've seen the news now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46878453

And if you were wondering what might be investigated it would be this

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The EFL regulation that the issue relates to:

At this stage the EFL considers that the following Regulations are relevant to this particular issue:

(a)  Regulation 3.4 provides that:

“In all matters and transactions relating to The League each Club shall behave towards each other Club and The League with the utmost good faith…”

(b)  Regulation 21.  The EFL also considers it may be appropriate to take action against individuals, including the Manager, on the basis that Regulation 21 provides as follows:

“… all Officials and Players shall by virtue of their fulfilment of those roles be deemed to have given to The League:

21.2.1  an undertaking to The League not to bring The League or any Club, into disrepute;

21.2.2  an undertaking not to do anything or omit to do anything which will cause a Club to be in breach of the Laws of the Game, the Football Association Rules, these Regulations or the Articles of Association…”

FYI - Pretty much all employment contracts come with something approximating the above - Bringing the company into disrepute - This usually manifests itself when people are caught behaving badly

Whether or not other people do it - The simple fact is that your manager has been caught doing it - No one else has before - And now the EFL have to decide whether he has brought the league into disrepute and what to do about it - Your club seems to think he has already and has apologised for the behaviour - We will wait and see what happens

Overall - I have no doubt that other clubs/managers do this - Only an employee from Leeds would be stupid enough to get caught... ? 

The EFL has today written to Leeds United requesting their observations in regard to an incident that took place in the vicinity of Derby County’s training ground on Thursday 10 January, 2019. 

It follows a complaint from Derby County who allege that an individual, acting under the instruction of Leeds United, sought to observe a private training session the day before the two Clubs were due to meet in the Sky Bet Championship.

The EFL has now determined that it is appropriate to consider this matter in the context of a number of EFL Regulations whilst also noting that the alleged actions appear to contravene the Club’s Charter that all EFL Clubs agreed to in summer 2018.

The decision to progress this matter to a formal investigation comes as a result of the Club’s manager, Marcelo Bielsa, admitting to instructing an individual to undertake the acts being complained of in a television interview broadcast on Sky Sports on Friday 11 January 2019.

The Football Association has also confirmed they are considering the same matter in line with its own rules and the EFL will work with its FA counterparts to ensure that any potential action taken does not prejudice those investigations being undertaken.

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/january/efl-statement-leeds-united-and-derby-county

6 minutes ago, Pub Breath said:

There isn't a prayer of a points deduction, as much as you may hope.  

I would hope not - I think only the most rose-tinted viewpoint would suggest we were even as near as good as you on Friday and you deserved the points on footballing merit - I don't envision there being a points deduction

However

7 minutes ago, Pub Breath said:

There was no law broken - either a law of the game or a law of the land.  If there are no regulations that have been breached, there cannot be and points sanctions issued.  

This is just factually incorrect - Several people have pointed out the laws of the game which have been breached (that's what a regulation is) - And as such the EFL could potentially act on this in whatever way they see fit

I doubt it will be a points deduction - I don't think it will - But it feasibly could be

Just now, cheron85 said:

I would hope not - I think only the most rose-tinted viewpoint would suggest we were even as near as good as you on Friday and you deserved the points on footballing merit - I don't envision there being a points deduction

However

This is just factually incorrect - Several people have pointed out the laws of the game which have been breached (that's what a regulation is) - And as such the EFL could potentially act on this in whatever way they see fit

I doubt it will be a points deduction - I don't think it will - But it feasibly could be

It didn't necessarily impact the result on Friday, but as it's safe to assume this has been a regular occurrence for Leeds this season, how many points have they gained as a result of it is anyone's guess. I wouldn't rule out a points deduction just yet, however, I doubt the punishment (if any) will be quite so severe.

21 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You kept asking @BathRam72 what investigation - I assume you've seen the news now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46878453

And if you were wondering what might be investigated it would be this

FYI - Pretty much all employment contracts come with something approximating the above - Bringing the company into disrepute - This usually manifests itself when people are caught behaving badly

Whether or not other people do it - The simple fact is that your manager has been caught doing it - No one else has before - And now the EFL have to decide whether he has brought the league into disrepute and what to do about it - Your club seems to think he has already and has apologised for the behaviour - We will wait and see what happens

Overall - I have no doubt that other clubs/managers do this - Only an employee from Leeds would be stupid enough to get caught... ? 

Nope.  I'd already said that the only investigation was an FA investigation.  Now an FA and FL investigation.  STILL not a police investigation, which was being discussed.

I also said there will be some sort of fine for bringing the game into disrepute and judging by that, that's almost certainly where this will end.  There are no laws that carry points deductions that have been broken.  That's not to say they couldn't just decide to anyway but the legal case launched against them for that would make it a pointless exercise.  Also, it would clearly be ducking bonkers.  It's not even close to being that serious.

24 minutes ago, Pub Breath said:

There isn't a prayer of a points deduction, as much as you may hope.  There was no law broken - either a law of the game or a law of the land.  If there are no regulations that have been breached, there cannot be and points sanctions issued.  I read that the EFL have already confirmed that but haven't seen any official statement.

There may be some sort of fine for "bringing the game into disrepute" or some such guff. 

As if it's even serious enough for a points deduction anyway.  Fantasy land stuff.

Not sure if you're being overly cocky or just trolling - I guess anyone that spends this much time on an opponents forum is the latter, but as others have stated several regulations have been broken that act as a cover-all for situations such as this, if the EFL and FA choose a strong arm approach I can easily see a points deduction. 

My personal belief however is that Leeds/Biesla will get a slap on the wrist/fine with the rules being tightened up going forwards. It would be hilarious if it was anything more however ?

2 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

The whole thing is pathetic and i can't believe we are still talking about it.

47 pages? Jesus Christ!

This link has just been posted about the EFL investigation.  Actually, I would encourage fans who are still indignant about this, to watch the Sunday Supplement clip further down the page:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/11608155/efl-to-investigate-leeds-united-spy-at-derby-county-training-ground

Those blokes are all pretty bemused by the whole thing and have neither Leeds nor Derby biases.  That seems to be the prevailing feeling in the real world.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Not sure if you're being overly cocky or just trolling - I guess anyone that spends this much time on an opponents forum is the latter, but as others have stated several regulations have been broken that act as a cover-all for situations such as this, if the EFL and FA choose a strong arm approach I can easily see a points deduction. 

My personal belief however is that Leeds/Biesla will get a slap on the wrist/fine with the rules being tightened up going forwards. It would be hilarious if it was anything more however ?

So we agree then?  ? 

Just now, Pub Breath said:

This link has just been posted about the EFL investigation.  Actually, I would encourage fans who are still indignant about this, to watch the Sunday Supplement clip further down the page:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/11608155/efl-to-investigate-leeds-united-spy-at-derby-county-training-ground

Those blokes are all pretty bemused by the whole thing and have neither Leeds nor Derby biases.  That seems to be the prevailing feeling in the real world.

I'd be more worried about the guys with the ability to dock points than those paid to talk rubbish ?

27 games played, I work that out as an 81 point deduction.

£27m fine with £1m per game being paid to the clubs involved.

Cover the cost for screens to be installed at training grounds at every Football League club in the country.

Transfer embargo until the summer 2020.

Bielsa working visa terminated and deported out the country.

Anything less and I will be hugely disappointed with the EFL, FA and UK Goverment.

1 minute ago, StivePesley said:

And the other 7 pages have just been this sad Leeds fan who keeps contradicting himself

I said yesterday a big problem with. The debate is that people are missing the point what should be being debated here, or there are trying to divert attention away from the point. Any talk of pliers, public space etc etc etc takes away from disturbing Derby’s match prep, that they gained info on team selection a day  before a game which could influence their team selection and that it was a pre meditated action. Everything else is by the by.

You can see Leeds fans on twitter now trying to divert it, saying that the EFL should be investigating how Bolton and Blackpool are run instead. It’s diversion.

Archived