Watchable telly

dog

9 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Have you seen Gomorrah? It's like an Italian Top Boy, but maybe better. I kid you not, and lots in here will back me up on how good it is.

I never want to start a series with subtitles, but an episode or so in, and I forget.

Fauda is incredible, too. About the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) operating in the West Bank and Gaza. 5 seasons, I think, and I can only imagine with what is going on there now, even more powerful.

Just added Fausa to my list on Netflix. I enjoyed Caliphate in there too. Where do you watch Gommorah? 

14 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

I need a new series to watch. Really struggling to get into any tv at the moment. The last series I watched and loved were Top Boy and Supacell. 

Good picks mind! Top Boy would sit pretty high in my all-time faves list. Given you're open to the whole crime genre piece, a couple of very obvious suggestions would be The Wire and The Sopranos, if you've not already seen them. I think they're both as good as anything I've ever seen. Honorable mentions for Oz, Narcos and Deadwood, though the first mentioned is pretty graphic.

Edited by Comrade 86

On 03/08/2024 at 22:01, Eddie said:

5 episodes in now.

Utterly preposterous drivel - just can't stop watching it.

About 80 episodes in now.

Still utter garbage - and still loving every implausible minute of it.

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Good picks mind! Top Boy would sit pretty high in my all-time faves list. Given you're open to the whole crime genre piece, a couple of very obvious suggestions would be The Wire and The Sopranos, if you've not already seen them. I think they're both as good as anything I've ever seen. Honorable mentions for Oz, Narcos and Deadwood, though the first mentioned is pretty graphic.

I'll second The Sopranos and The Wire. Both are in my all-time top 10. And Narcos would probably be in there too. Not seen Oz and Deadwood!

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'll second The Sopranos and The Wire. Both are in my all-time top 10. And Narcos would probably be in there too. Not seen Oz and Deadwood!

Oz is quite old now but still quite harrowing. I found it compulsive viewing. It's setand it asks some questions of the viewer without getting in anyway preachy. JK Simmons excels as leader of the Aryan Brotherhood faction. Horrible bit of kit! 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118421/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Deadwood is a slightly tongue in cheek Western drama series that I read somewhere as having the highest swear word count of any show ever. Not sure who gets paid to count the cusses, nor can I guarantee the authenticity of that 'fact', but Ian McShane is principally responsible and is absolutely brilliant in the role of a self-abusing saloon owner and reticent hero. It's bawdy, touching and very funny at times and Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane is a thing to behold too. Poor old Timothy Olyphant, playing the lead role (straight man) gets completely outshone, but in some ways, his lack of charisma just makes everything else even funnier. Won't be for all, but watch a couple if you like. You'll either be hooked and a paid up Deadwood cultist, or you'll be wondering if I've taken leave of my senses 😂

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348914/

I would, once again, strongly recommend Snowfall on iPlayer before it disappears. It's about the mid-80s explosion in the cocaine and crack epidemic in LA in the mid-80s, and covert CIA funding operations for RW insurgents in central America. John Singleton's last project before his untimely death, it's based on real events though obviously dramatised, it features a nice "cameo" for Singleton after his death, in the last episode.

18 hours ago, Crewton said:

I would, once again, strongly recommend Snowfall on iPlayer before it disappears. It's about the mid-80s explosion in the cocaine and crack epidemic in LA in the mid-80s, and covert CIA funding operations for RW insurgents in central America. John Singleton's last project before his untimely death, it's based on real events though obviously dramatised, it features a nice "cameo" for Singleton after his death, in the last episode.

Great show. Every series is solid, start to finish and it's all the more intriguing given history shows the premise, at least, to be factual. 

20 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Oz is quite old now but still quite harrowing. I found it compulsive viewing. It's setand it asks some questions of the viewer without getting in anyway preachy. JK Simmons excels as leader of the Aryan Brotherhood faction. Horrible bit of kit! 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118421/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Deadwood is a slightly tongue in cheek Western drama series that I read somewhere as having the highest swear word count of any show ever. Not sure who gets paid to count the cusses, nor can I guarantee the authenticity of that 'fact', but Ian McShane is principally responsible and is absolutely brilliant in the role of a self-abusing saloon owner and reticent hero. It's bawdy, touching and very funny at times and Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane is a thing to behold too. Poor old Timothy Olyphant, playing the lead role (straight man) gets completely outshone, but in some ways, his lack of charisma just makes everything else even funnier. Won't be for all, but watch a couple if you like. You'll either be hooked and a paid up Deadwood cultist, or you'll be wondering if I've taken leave of my senses 😂

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348914/

Deadwood is one of my all time favourites, I'd definitely have to put myself in the Deadwood cultist category.  The language and dialogue is so engaging and entertaining (and all the better for the swearing) that I sometimes forgot about the plot entirely.  Ian McShane takes much of the credit, but the whole cast shone for me especially Brad Dourif as the Doc, and Brian Cox's minor role as Jack Langrishe.  

Sadly cancelled after 3 seasons (?), the 2019 movie gave all us cultists some satisfying closure. 

9 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Deadwood is one of my all time favourites, I'd definitely have to put myself in the Deadwood cultist category.  The language and dialogue is so engaging and entertaining (and all the better for the swearing) that I sometimes forgot about the plot entirely.  Ian McShane takes much of the credit, but the whole cast shone for me especially Brad Dourif as the Doc, and Brian Cox's minor role as Jack Langrishe.  

Sadly cancelled after 3 seasons (?), the 2019 movie gave all us cultists some satisfying closure. 

It was desperately disappointing when it was cancelled, but the cost of the show and commitments of several of its leads made another full series impossible, or so I'm led to believe. The film was superb though and as you say, a very fitting end to a wonderful series. 

Edited by Comrade 86
spelling

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm 4 episodes into The End of Summer and a tiny bit bored tbh. Well acted, but slow. 

it wouldn't break my heart to leave it, if I thought it wasn't going to improve  

Who's seen it all?

I have. Sorry to hear you’re not totally engrossed. It does have an interesting conclusion!

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm 4 episodes into The End of Summer and a tiny bit bored tbh. Well acted, but slow. 

it wouldn't break my heart to leave it, if I thought it wasn't going to improve  

Who's seen it all?

I watched it through after @Anag Ram recommended it IIRC. Even Mrs C stuck with it (and she usually CBA with slow dramas). I thought it was excellent, but I agree it is slow. And to me the final episodes justified the slow pace of the first few.

On 21/08/2024 at 17:30, Poynton ram said:

Sorry if it has been mentioned earlier in the thread but I am loving Freddie Flintoff, Field of Dreams on tour. Freddie is a top bloke, comes across as really genuine and there are some right characters in his team. Some real comedy gold as well as some heartbreaking stuff too

Just watched the first season of this, the one in Preston. Really enjoyed it - looking forward to watching the next season when I get a chance.