Watchable telly

dog

All been very quiet... guessing the football has taken hold. 

Back onto 'Dark Matter' and it's improving all the time. Definitely not perfect and a well-trodden 'metaverse' storyline yet somehow it keeps throwing idea and twist after another and is pretty damn good I have to say.

6 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Just started Rebus , heard good things about it, first episode watched , looks like it could be solid gold

It's good. Great acting and not too politically correct so it's pretty gritty for a UK cop show.

7 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Despite having no interest in cycling, I for some reason decided to watch the Tour de France series on Netflix (second season I believe).

Two episodes in and it’s absolutely brilliant. The most competitive people I’ve ever seen.

And Philip Cocu has a twin

IMG_9536.thumb.jpeg.b836249837fef365e7775e942ecc10b9.jpeg

18 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Just started Rebus , heard good things about it, first episode watched , looks like it could be solid gold

Never watched an episode. Give us an update when you're further in please 👍

28 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Never watched an episode. Give us an update when you're further in please 👍

I've finished it having never watched any other iteration of Rebus. 

Great setting for a drama, and in general just a really good,  solid cop series. Can see there be plenty more. 

Finished Dark Matter. 

Interested in how its been viewed by others...

Bit like 'Inception', it hit a nice sweet spot for me, where there was some Science-y stuff that let my head accept what was happening was 'possible' and whilst the script was a little creaky at times, it just threw more and more levels/ideas into the mix that kept me hooked.

Edited by Chester40

Presumed Innocent 

4 part mini-series with Jake Gyllenhall.

Investigative, court room drama about a lawyer accused of murder.

Actually really watchable. I always think Gyllenhall is a decent actor anyway.

Formulaic stuff, but engrossing if you like the sound of it. Lots of little twists that pull you in, just a decent, tight storyline.

11 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Presumed Innocent 

4 part mini-series with Jake Gyllenhall.

Investigative, court room drama about a lawyer accused of murder.

Actually really watchable. I always think Gyllenhall is a decent actor anyway.

Formulaic stuff, but engrossing if you like the sound of it. Lots of little twists that pull you in, just a decent, tight storyline.

Actually it's an 8 part series, very glad as I was alarmed when I realised there were only 15mins left to wrap it all up !

New series of The Bear is being advertised heavily,  know there's a few fans on here... I watched one episode and really disliked it. I found Boiling Point really annoying (are they linked in any way) ..so was predisposed to not liking it and wasn't disappointed. I just don't get it/them. Rude characters shouting, being angsty, clichéd and pretentious in a hot kitchen. 

11 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Actually it's an 8 part series, very glad as I was alarmed when I realised there were only 15mins left to wrap it all up !

New series of The Bear is being advertised heavily,  know there's a few fans on here... I watched one episode and really disliked it. I found Boiling Point really annoying (are they linked in any way) ..so was predisposed to not liking it and wasn't disappointed. I just don't get it/them. Rude characters shouting, being angsty, clichéd and pretentious in a hot kitchen. 

I struggled through the first season of The Bear. I did make it to the end, but there's no way I'd watch the second or third one. 

House of the Dragon, series 2 episode 2.

No point trying to deny it anymore. It's utter carp.

Just constant talking with no action. Can't follow or care who any of them are.

Game of Thrones was an all-time classic, the only thing they have in common is the theme tune.

I'm giving up even trying.

I’m finding Rebus OK but not really any more than that. About half way through. 

Yes it’s gritty but do they really need to film everything with accentuated yellows and browns? Just makes everything look even more grim & I find it grating. 

On 29/06/2024 at 07:20, Chester40 said:

Finished Dark Matter. 

Interested in how its been viewed by others...

Bit like 'Inception', it hit a nice sweet spot for me, where there was some Science-y stuff that let my head accept what was happening was 'possible' and whilst the script was a little creaky at times, it just threw more and more levels/ideas into the mix that kept me hooked.

8 hours ago, Chester40 said:

House of the Dragon, series 2 episode 2.

No point trying to deny it anymore. It's utter carp.

Just constant talking with no action. Can't follow or care who any of them are.

Game of Thrones was an all-time classic, the only thing they have in common is the theme tune.

I'm giving up even trying.

We too finished Dark Matter and enjoyed it.  Script was a bit wobbly at times but happily watched to the end.  Another season? Likely I'd say. 

House of the Dragon - also struggling.  Watched episode 3 last night.  Loved GoT and even season 1 of House was quite good, but this time round, it's really hard to follow who's doing what for who...like you say, lots and lots of talking, plotting, whispering...and not a lot of action. I'm barely hanging onto the plot, if at all. Mrs Bucks is totally lost. 

On 20/06/2024 at 08:40, Comrade 86 said:

Been watching The Last Kingdom and am quite enjoying it. It's an epic tale of Anglo / Danish conflicts, focussing on he warrior lord, Uhtred who was born a Saxon but raised by Vikings. It's a long way from perfect, though it seems to be improving from season to season and it's pretty enjoyable stuff with some excellent villains meeting satisfyingly bloody ends along the way. It's based on fact, though how fast and loose with history they are, I'm not entirely certain.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4179452/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Last-Kingdom-Season-1/dp/B0170LY2XC

Great series, loved it, and yes it got better season by season (IMO).  Not sure how far into the 5 seasons you are? Based on fact, but with a large dose of poetic license me thinks.  I've read the book(s) by Cornwall too.  And the Aegelsburgh shown in the show is Aylesbury, just down the road from me that has a documented history right back to Anglo Saxon times but whether King Cnut really "visited" Aylesbury, who knows (won't say more in case you're not that far in!). 

1 minute ago, BucksRam said:

Great series, loved it, and yes it got better season by season (IMO).  Not sure how far into the 5 seasons you are? Based on fact, but with a large dose of poetic license me thinks.  I've read the book(s) by Cornwall too.  And the Aegelsburgh shown in the show is Aylesbury, just down the road from me that has a documented history right back to Anglo Saxon times but whether King Cnut really "visited" Aylesbury, who knows (won't say more in case you're not that far in!). 

Watched it all Bucks. I liked it a lot. I don't mind a bit of poetic license when it's a rip-roaring story, which for the most part, rattles along. There's a film too, though a lot of fans of the series hate it. I'm not sure why as to me it's just like the series but with one big difference (no spoilers!). This is it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15767808/