Watchable telly

dog

Finished watching Netflix's One Piece last night.

I haven't watched the original animated series (there's over a 1000 episodes) but I thought it was good fun with some interesting characters. SFX leaves a bit to be desired, however, and the overall silliness of it won't be for everyone.

Just browsing things to watch and stumbled across The Reckoning

Am I being a bit of a Karen by thinking it's sickly that the BBC have made a drama series exploring Jimmy Savile's crimes? 

The guy that got away with it in the 70's is back thanks to the BBC! Popcorn ready! 

Blurgh 🤢

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

Just browsing things to watch and stumbled across The Reckoning

Am I being a bit of a Karen by thinking it's sickly that the BBC have made a drama series exploring Jimmy Savile's crimes? 

The guy that got away with it in the 70's is back thanks to the BBC! Popcorn ready! 

Blurgh 🤢

Watched the first two episodes last night. Feels wrong to say I’m enjoying it but it is a good watch.

I don’t think the BBC should be criticised for making the drama, they’re not afraid to demonstrate that a  lot of his crimes took place under their watch or that they failed to act (having said that, I think I have read somewhere that they have omitted some investigation).  It’s the type of true crime drama that was always going to be made by someone (like the one about the Yorkshire Ripper). The BBC would have been wrong if they had shied away from making it.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Watched the first two episodes last night. Feels wrong to say I’m enjoying it but it is a good watch.

I don’t think the BBC should be criticised for making the drama, they’re not afraid to demonstrate that a  lot of his crimes took place under their watch or that they failed to act (having said that, I think I have read somewhere that they have omitted some investigation).  It’s the type of true crime drama that was always going to be made by someone (like the one about the Yorkshire Ripper). The BBC would have been wrong if they had shied away from making it.

Fair enough. Me being a bit of a diva then 🤣

finally got around to watching Sex Education on Netflix, I think I've been previously guilty of pre-judging this as some teen thing without knowing anything about it. Got to hold my hand up and say I was wrong, and I'm really loving it. If you've not seen it, give a couple of episodes a go. It's not too sophisticated, but it is funny and sometimes warming, but on the whole, entertaining.

Johnny Russell/10

23 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Finished watching Netflix's One Piece last night.

I haven't watched the original animated series (there's over a 1000 episodes) but I thought it was good fun with some interesting characters. SFX leaves a bit to be desired, however, and the overall silliness of it won't be for everyone.

I liked it. It's daft, but it's great fun, but you do need to free your imagination in order to enjoy it as it is essentially a fantasy production.

On 21/09/2023 at 19:34, Premier ram said:

Mortimer and Whitehouse gone fishing, a gentle but brilliant watch

Forgot all about this; watched all 6 episodes Tuesday night.  As you say, a gentle but brilliant watch.  Why did you come to bed at 1am asked the wife.  Watching a fishing program that had me hooked.  She just looked at me and walked away. Look forward to the next series already. 

18 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Forgot all about this; watched all 6 episodes Tuesday night.  As you say, a gentle but brilliant watch.  Why did you come to bed at 1am asked the wife.  Watching a fishing program that had me hooked.  She just looked at me and walked away. Look forward to the next series already. 

Not sure about the Lee Mack episode but love the combination of wistful humour and beautiful countryside.

They have much to say about life and the ageing process.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Not sure about the Lee Mack episode but love the combination of wistful humour and beautiful countryside.

Agreed - the Lee Mack episode was far and away the worst of any previous programmes. I'd much rather have seen Ted standing in for Bob.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Agree completely.  It'd have been better with just Paul on his own.....plus Ted of course.  Nothing against Lee Mack but completely unnecessary. It was the only dampener on yet another brilliant series that I so nearly missed. 

Since I'm here I thought I'd chuck in a couple I'm watching:

Slow Horses (Apple) - a bit slow (sic) to this one but brilliant IMO, about a group of cast out MI5 spooks. Only watched S1 so far, and hoping S2 doesn't disappoint. Great cast, especially Gary Oldman.

Invasion (Apple) - Sci-Fi - more about the people than the aliens - enjoying this too, currently on S2E8. Has had mixed reviews (some saying too slow paced) but I don't think so. 

The Long Shadow (ITV/ITVX) - Focuses on the victims of The Ripper attacks of the 70s including some pretty bigoted views on women and highlighting the police's many failings . Compelling TV and def worth a watch. 

25 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Since I'm here I thought I'd chuck in a couple I'm watching:

Slow Horses (Apple) - a bit slow (sic) to this one but brilliant IMO, about a group of cast out MI5 spooks. Only watched S1 so far, and hoping S2 doesn't disappoint. Great cast, especially Gary Oldman.

Invasion (Apple) - Sci-Fi - more about the people than the aliens - enjoying this too, currently on S2E8. Has had mixed reviews (some saying too slow paced) but I don't think so. 

The Long Shadow (ITV/ITVX) - Focuses on the victims of The Ripper attacks of the 70s including some pretty bigoted views on women and highlighting the police's many failings . Compelling TV and def worth a watch. 

Haven’t seen Invasion but agree on the other two.