Watchable telly

dog

7 hours ago, NottsRam said:

Mission to Burnley on Sky.  Documentary following Burnley from relegation from Premier League, appointing Kompany and subsequent promotion season.  I know its been done to death but worth a watch.

This was marketed by Sky as the resurrection of Burnley, which put me off. It was just promotion after relegation.

Finished The Newsroom last night.

Season 3 started strong and tanked alarmingly.

The last episode I found utterly embarrassing.

If AI had been around then I'd have presumed Sorkin had thrown a couple of episodes into ChatGPT and asked it to wrap stuff up and write a final episode based on that with the proviso that it was as sickly sweet as possible.

It's always hard to wrap up a great series, but Sorkin mailed it in with this imho.

We'd forgotten we had paused Colin from Accounts to watch Newsroom so we went back to that after, and it really is good.

The Newsroom would get a 7/10 over the 3 seasons.

Colin from Accounts is a solid 7.5/10

One other thing. I'm 85% sure that Sorkin wrote The Newsroom to run over 3 seasons because, ya know, you can do that when you wrote The West Wing.

But that makes it weird that it felt so rushed and so poorly executed at the end. 

Then again because of adverts that are in from season 4 with no way of forwarding past them, I've never seen the end of The West Wing, so maybe that was as vomit-inducing at the end.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Finished The Newsroom last night.

Season 3 started strong and tanked alarmingly.

The last episode I found utterly embarrassing.

If AI had been around then I'd have presumed Sorkin had thrown a couple of episodes into ChatGPT and asked it to wrap stuff up and write a final episode based on that with the proviso that it was as sickly sweet as possible.

It's always hard to wrap up a great series, but Sorkin mailed it in with this imho.

We'd forgotten we had paused Colin from Accounts to watch Newsroom so we went back to that after, and it really is good.

The Newsroom would get a 7/10 over the 3 seasons.

Colin from Accounts is a solid 7.5/10

One other thing. I'm 85% sure that Sorkin wrote The Newsroom to run over 3 seasons because, ya know, you can do that when you wrote The West Wing.

But that makes it weird that it felt so rushed and so poorly executed at the end. 

Then again because of adverts that are in from season 4 with no way of forwarding past them, I've never seen the end of The West Wing, so maybe that was as vomit-inducing at the end.

Yes, I really enjoyed The Newsroom and would give it an eight over its run. Agree with you however on that last episode.

Felt more Richard Curtis than Aaron Sorkin. 

Again I felt it was ironic that a series about the conflict between doing news the serious way and providing entertainment for ratings is played out in the series itself. There were some really interesting stories about what’s really happening out there and as the series rolled on, it became Ally McBeal, with couples bickering and flirting in a witty fashion, just with a bit of news thrown in.

I’ll miss it though. I thought Daniels, Mortimer and Waterston were excellent in their roles.

Ploughing through the Bear season 2 and I'm unconvinced. Loved season 1, but it feels quote boring in comparison

oh here's a whole episode of marcus making fancy puddings in copenhagen with the annoying kid out of school of comedy

Can't help thinking that if this was a first season it would be getting slated

Still - just watched the family xmas one and that's back to it's stressful best, so maybe it'll get good towards the end

9 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Ploughing through the Bear season 2 and I'm unconvinced. Loved season 1, but it feels quote boring in comparison

oh here's a whole episode of marcus making fancy puddings in copenhagen with the annoying kid out of school of comedy

Can't help thinking that if this was a first season it would be getting slated

Still - just watched the family xmas one and that's back to it's stressful best, so maybe it'll get good towards the end

The Five Fishes is heart attack TV.

The others fit either side of the scale, but I loved Forks. 

Imo, the first series introduced the characters, the second series made you care about them.

On 15/08/2023 at 09:57, Wolfie said:

Anyone watching Wolf (BBC)?

Is it worth catching up on?

Started watching this week, part way through episode 2, a highly unlikely storyline but i am finding it strangely fascinating and need to stick with it now.

watched the first one last night - some of the dialog was pretty painfully stilted and couple of plot points that seemed to make no sense, but the ending of episode one was intriguing enough for me to give episode 2 a go. We shall see

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

watched the first one last night - some of the dialog was pretty painfully stilted and couple of plot points that seemed to make no sense, but the ending of episode one was intriguing enough for me to give episode 2 a go. We shall see

I'm at episode 4, it hasn't really gone far but need to see the ending now so will stick with it.

Yeh, but you're biased.

Didn't get to the end of A Spy Amongst Friends before our free trial ran out, but wasn't that arsed. Great acting, but I think I knew the story too well. Neither of us was that engaged or bothered to want to pay £5.99.

I can see why people would love it though.

We went back to watch Dark after hearing so many great reviews and seeing it was Germany's highest rated programme available on Netflix.

Six episodes in, and my head hurts.

It's pretty good in a Stranger Things with nipples and F-bombs kinda way, but jeez I'm having to focus.

And I suck at focusing.

Oo look, a squirrel.

18 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

We went back to watch Dark after hearing so many great reviews and seeing it was Germany's highest rated programme available on Netflix

We did season 1 and then never went back. One of those programs where you wear out the pause button so you can ask each other "who is this person again?" And "what year are we in now?"

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

We did season 1 and then never went back. One of those programs where you wear out the pause button so you can ask each other "who is this person again?" And "what year are we in now?"

Enough informed people have said its good for me to not doubt its value - but I tried 2 or 3 times and didn't get to the end of the first series, just didn't grab me.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Enjoying the second series of Annika (Alibi - season 1 on iPlayer).

I quite fancied watching that (season 1) but forgot. Just looked it up and see it has the main police guy out of Wolf in it. Which puts me off slightly as I thought his acting was terrible in Wolf. Maybe it was just the writing though. Wolf was pretty ridiculous, saved only by the Welsh baddie guy who had by far the best part and really leaned into it. Ending was satisfactory though - at least I didn't see it coming