George Thorne

Fraser_23

On 31/12/2018 at 00:12, Millenniumram said:

His account was Thorne15 not 34, clearly someone trying to stir the pot I think. Wouldn’t expect a pro footballer to make comments like that on Twitter, and if they do I wouldn’t want them playing for us. 

Thorne was such a great player and it’s a shame the situation were in, but I guess injuries have taken their toll and we can’t be relying on a player like him anymore. Sad really, but we’ve got the hudd back now, who imo is, and has always been, the better player, as amazing as Thorne once was. Appearance thing really shouldn’t make a difference though imo, if a player is good enough we should just suck it up and play them.

It wouldn't be a certain former Chief Executive of a current Championship club, could it? ??

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Dunno, George Evans seems to have stepped up ok..... Wouldn’t say Bird, Bogle et al would like you calling the u23s stiffs, maybe in a bygone era last season maybe when you didn’t have the opportunities you do now. Players have upped their game. Always someone else chomping at the bit..... Evans, Huddz, Bird and either BJ/Ledley are ahead of him..... What does that say to you? 

Have you seen Thorne play 1st team football yet this season? He could step up the same as Evans - and it is 'step up' from the Stiffs.

You might put Hudds, Bird, Ledley and BJ in front of Thorne, but others might not. He's looked as good as Evens did (better actually) in the U23s.

Why hasn't he been given a chance, is there something terribly wrong with him. No, I think FL just doesn't rate him.

8 hours ago, jono said:

I sort of like the idea Roy, but I honestly have no idea how he has shaped up for the U23’s ? word has it he’s looked good but there’s good, as in competent and good as in really doing the biz. Which is it ? 

Dunno, how do you tell? Holmes look poor in the last U23 game he played...

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you seen Thorne play 1st team football yet this season? He could step up the same as Evans - and it is 'step up' from the Stiffs.

You might put Hudds, Bird, Ledley and BJ in front of Thorne, but others might not. He's looked as good as Evens did (better actually) in the U23s.

Why hasn't he been given a chance, is there something terribly wrong with him. No, I think FL just doesn't rate him.

I think your right FL probably doesn’t rate him he’s the manager and that’s football he may have told him as much in the summer but we just don’t know. I don’t think we will see him in the 1st team again as he’s not even made the bench this season.

Could it just be as simple as the fact that sometimes you have to make a cut your losses decision, you might call it right or you may get it wrong and said player goes on to prove the decision wrong but the truth is we have had constant bad luck with Thorne injuries ,we keep building towards getting him back then when back he breaks down or gets another bad injury and the truth is that although it’s nobody’s fault it’s just not working , couple that with the issue of is he going to reach pre injury levels ever again and then if it’s true we are paying £12.5 k per game still to try to get him up to speed and that level I don’t think it’s beyond sensible to make a decision to move on and try to move Thorne on ??? 

Cant for the life of me see why some see this as a stick to question lampard managerial credentials 

13 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

Yes why not if I was Frank I would be making 7 or 8 changes to today’s team as the Leeds game is far more important.

What...???? We should be playing our full strength team in the FA Cup. Beating Southampton is far more important than beating Leeds. 

7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

What...???? We should be playing our full strength team in the FA Cup. Beating Southampton is far more important than beating Leeds. 

No chance are we going to win the FA cup and we need to keep our best players injury free for the Leeds game. 

8 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

No chance are we going to win the FA cup and we need to keep our best players injury free for the Leeds game. 

I wouldn’t disagree with this but it might be that we need a decent cup run and the potential for a big TV game to help keep our head above FFP.  Be interesting to see what team Frank puts out - he certainly didn’t hold back in the Carabao Cup

1 minute ago, philmycock said:

Someone mentioned at the match yesterday that if he plays another game we owe WBA £1.5m, probably ?? 

can't believe £1.5m for one match trigger!!! if someone twit did a deal like that - deserved to be sacked - Rush!!!

I see Sam Rush is taking a bit of a knocking in this saga.

The transfer was set out clearly in the court documents as £2.75m up front, and a further £12.5k per game upto a maximum total of £4m.

A maximum of £4m for the George Thorne we'd signed at that time was a bloody bargain, and a masterpiece of negotiation.

You can blame Sam Rush for lots of things if you wish, but I don't think many would have moaned about that transfer fee at the time we agreed it.

9 hours ago, Archied said:

Could it just be as simple as the fact that sometimes you have to make a cut your losses decision, you might call it right or you may get it wrong and said player goes on to prove the decision wrong but the truth is we have had constant bad luck with Thorne injuries ,we keep building towards getting him back then when back he breaks down or gets another bad injury and the truth is that although it’s nobody’s fault it’s just not working , couple that with the issue of is he going to reach pre injury levels ever again and then if it’s true we are paying £12.5 k per game still to try to get him up to speed and that level I don’t think it’s beyond sensible to make a decision to move on and try to move Thorne on ??? 

Cant for the life of me see why some see this as a stick to question lampard managerial credentials 

Yes fair point. With Thorne's fitness record he might be considered a bit of a liability. So one can understand why FL perhaps doesn't see a future for the player. 

Its a strange one with George Thorne not being even considered by the new managment team. Out of the 15 matches played in all competitions by the under 23s, George as played in 11 matches scoring 2 goals. There could be some truth in his transfer deal that any more 1st appearances would cost us more money to WBA. Or  is it the player is clearly not in Frank's plans and not rated by him. Why as nobody put the question to the club from the local media ? It is true, that pre-season he was out of contention with a back injury. My conclusion is more appearances will trigger more payments to WBA. By playing him regular in the U23s, it keeps him in the shop window for other clubs without activating more costs for the Rams. It would also suggest to me that FFP costs must be close to the mark with us. I reckon we need to sell before bringing in players or even be able to bring George back into the 1st team if not sold on in this current window. Speaking of selling players, did we get anything for Callam Guy going to Blackpool.

19 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Its a strange one with George Thorne not being even considered by the new managment team. Out of the 15 matches played in all competitions by the under 23s, George as played in 11 matches scoring 2 goals. There could be some truth in his transfer deal that any more 1st appearances would cost us more money to WBA. Or  is it the player is clearly not in Frank's plans and not rated by him. Why as nobody put the question to the club from the local media ? It is true, that pre-season he was out of contention with a back injury. My conclusion is more appearances will trigger more payments to WBA. By playing him regular in the U23s, it keeps him in the shop window for other clubs without activating more costs for the Rams. It would also suggest to me that FFP costs must be close to the mark with us. I reckon we need to sell before bringing in players or even be able to bring George back into the 1st team if not sold on in this current window. Speaking of selling players, did we get anything for Callam Guy going to Blackpool.

I think the terms of his contract are out there in the public domain following the Sam Rush saga. 

It seems to me that DCFC either think he is not good enough to warrant a place in the team, or spend an extra £12500 per match on.

Archived