Sign in to follow this  
RamNut

The winger conundrum

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Lawrence - right footed playing on the left, not producing

jozefzoon - not producing

bennett - injured

waggy - not featuring, possibly carrying an injury or not producing?

thomas - out on loan, time to return?

Harry wilson - midfielder or winger?

So.....What next?

Stop playing 433? 

Lawrence- Isn’t as good as he thinks, but could be as good as he thinks, if he didn’t act like he’s as good as he thinks

Josefzoon- Hidden quality within a poo overall game

Bennett- Makes Things happen but anonymous at times- cover

Waghorn- The key to a balanced frontline, for some reason never played

Thomas- Bring him back, can’t be worse than flojo

Wilson- Class, best technique I’ve seen in a derby shirt... probably in my lifetime, getting better in overall play

Weve got one player there who imo is quality above this level and that’s Wilson, but at the moment he needs to be played inside because our midfielders are so poo. Lawrence could be as well with some work, Waghorn is exactly what we need to balance Marriott, Bennett fits that role as well and Thomas has potential, as does the somewhat older flojo, if he can learn to pass and actually help his full back.

In essence, there is no winger conundrum, but there’s a duck off midfield one. Once Wilson can be played wide, with him, Lawrence, Waghorn were good.

5 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Stop playing 433? 

Again this formation can sometimes haunt us but I feel with two strong strikers like Waghorn and Marriott we could be dangerous. Imo they are both too threatening not to be on the pitch in the strikers role. Think the holding midfielder is to protect and distribute balls which the defence struggles to do so. 

19 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Surely it makes complete sense that a player coming back from hamstring injury is being brought back cautiously because if he pulls up with it he’s going to be out longer?

I’d have Waghorn in my 11 every time but it doesn’t take much thought as to why they’ve been cautious with him. It’s frustrating yes, but going straight into making up that it’s personal is laughable 

That seems reasonable, has Lampard said that then?

On 28/12/2018 at 15:21, TexasRam said:

Stop playing 433? 

Agree with this. At the moment we haven’t got the players or control in midfield to get the most out of the formation. For now, we should play 4–2-3-1 which would allow us to play two holding midfielders- Huddlestone and Evans, with Waghorn, Mount and Wilson having “free” roles to interchange behind Marriott.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Agree with this. At the moment we haven’t got the players or control in midfield to get the most out of the formation. For now, we should play 4–2-3-1 which would allow us to play two holding midfielders- Huddlestone and Evans, with Waghorn, Mount and Wilson having “free” roles to interchange behind Marriott.

You are very entitled to your opinion my friend but what qualifies you to be so sure?

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You are very entitled to your opinion my friend but what qualifies you to be so sure?

Not really sure what you’re asking me here? If it’s to do with the control aspect, we struggle to keep the ball in midfield in the crucial moments of the game which leads to Keogh and Tomori taking responsibility and sometimes panicking with possession(not their fault). Let’s take the stoke game as an example(one of many games), after Wilson scored, we should have kept the ball and kept piling the pressure on them because they had ten men. Instead, we treated the ball like a hot potato and couldn’t keep it. In my opinion we lack a Thorne and Hughes(of the 13/14 or latter 15/16 team in the brief spell) to keep the ball in crucial moments and to see games out and to keep a game ticking over. Someone to take the sting out of a game too. Wilson and Mount are good, but their first thought is to attack, which is natural for them being forwarding thinking players. Someone like Bannan would help in the control aspect.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The return of Evans makes this an option now, rather than having to play Johnson there, which I wouldn’t be keen on.

On 28/12/2018 at 14:12, Westcumbrianram said:

When will people realise waghorn isn't a winger. Waghorn should be sharing the striker role with Marriott. A new winger or wingers is a must. Plenty of options on loan. 

He had the best form of his career playing wide last season.

53 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Haha imagine chatting about football in a pub and someone comes out with this! 

On 29/12/2018 at 21:13, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I suppose if we all respond with this quote when anyone raises a topic, that will be the end of the topic?

29 minutes ago, KCG said:

I suppose if we all respond with this quote when anyone raises a topic, that will be the end of the topic?

My favourite is when someone makes a reply, and hints at the very high level they've played/coached the game at, as if that makes a different opinion somehow less valid!

We haven't had one of those for quite a while though, which is a pity.