One footed footballers

FindernRam

No disability jokes please!

Watching yesterday it was very apparent to me how completely one footed most of our players are. This makes them very predictable in their play. In ancient times my PE Teacher used to make us practise kicking balls with alternate feet (Football or Rugby). We even practiced penalties with the wrong foot as well. It did work to a degree. Left foot more accurate, right foot stronger. 

I'm left handed and my writing (that's using things called pens, kiddies) was abysmal, so I was "made " to practice with my right. Well that was equally abysmal, but what it did do was make me pretty much ambidextrous with almost everything, apart from throwing, Been amazingly useful over the years.

I wonder if the Rams ever train using their non preferred foot

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

No disability jokes please!

Watching yesterday it was very apparent to me how completely one footed most of our players are. This makes them very predictable in their play. In ancient times my PE Teacher used to make us practise kicking balls with alternate feet (Football or Rugby). We even practiced penalties with the wrong foot as well. It did work to a degree. Left foot more accurate, right foot stronger. 

I'm left handed and my writing (that's using things called pens, kiddies) was abysmal, so I was "made " to practice with my right. Well that was equally abysmal, but what it did do was make me pretty much ambidextrous with almost everything, apart from throwing, Been amazingly useful over the years.

I wonder if the Rams ever train using their non preferred foot

24761A08-5F70-4DB3-958E-2FB3DD6A2E0C.jpeg

You’re only really going to make a difference with this during the foundation phase up to the age of 11. 

Using your “lesser used side” is more based on balance and coordination than anything and after the ages of 11 it’s difficult to improve these physical attributes. 

Players being 1 footed is more down to the coaching they recieved when young. 

It’s not necessarily about forcing them to use it as this could have a negative impact. But more about creating scenarios where they have to make a decision of what foot to use.

As sports science has improved we’re starting to find better ways of producing players who are competent at using both feet. 

So you’ll probably find that we’re already starting to produce players who are comfortable using both feet.

6 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

It’s not necessarily about forcing them to use it as this could have a negative impact

I was born in a different era so although I didn't have my hands tied or anything I was strongly encouraged to use my right. I was about 8 or 9. Footy training was at secondary school so I would have been probably 12 or 13 when I made the school team.

9 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

So you’ll probably find that we’re already starting to produce players who are comfortable using both feet

Pity they don't play for the Rams

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I was born in a different era so although I didn't have my hands tied or anything I was strongly encouraged to use my right. I was about 8 or 9. Footy training was at secondary school so I would have been probably 12 or 13 when I made the school team.

Pity they don't play for the Rams

Worth taking a look at what the academy are producing!

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

The current squad could learn a lot from the Conor Sammon tapes in the Moor Farm Vaults, whose touch was equally poor with both feet.

Have to give the guy some credit. Can't shoot, head, control or pass the ball but still managed to make a career in professional football. Not bad at all.

8 hours ago, Duracell said:

The current squad could learn a lot from the Conor Sammon tapes in the Moor Farm Vaults, whose touch was equally poor with both feet.

This guy in the middle with no legs had greater control of the football with his manhood than Connor salmon ever had with two feet !

9C1C75DE-D5CE-4AFD-9911-4AB01D070B4E.jpeg

Messo is one footed but still scores great goals with his weaker foot.

Lots of players have made it with pretty much one foot..Stuart Pearce was very one footed... Paul Merson another, used to use outside of his foot... Kinkladze was unbelievably gifted with one foot.

8 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Giggs, Maradona, Nick Pickering, Eddie Lewis... all great one footers 

Couldn’t even tell what some of the others were!

That’s got to be the only time Nick Pickering and Eddie Lewis have ever featured in the same sentence as Maradona ????

8 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Have to give the guy some credit. Can't shoot, head, control or pass the ball but still managed to make a career in professional football. Not bad at all.

Conor sammon is literally me playing football... tall, fast and gangly but with no footballing ability or technique at all. Just slightly worries the defence by bumbling about a bit.

Maybe there’s hope for me yet, if I move to scotland

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Conor sammon is literally me playing football... tall, fast and gangly but with no footballing ability or technique at all. Just slightly worries the defence by bumbling about a bit.

Maybe there’s hope for me yet, if I move to scotland

We all want to be professional footballers - but keep it in perspective - no one should have to make a sacrifice of that proportion to make it.

Archived