Tom Lawrence

Ovine_Interferer

Technically, he has great skill and he plays first time passes which often go unnoticed but which take out opposition players.

When he goes on a run he can develop tunnel vision and misses better options.

If he could develop that we wouldn't be able to keep him!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll do 1 really good thing for every 8 (10?, 12?) really average or rubbish things.

It's like knowing you have a touch of diarrhea and when your tummy rumbles thinking "I won't go to the toilet, I've already shat myself 4 times so this one must just be a fart" and you're right, it IS just a fart! Hooray! So you think "thank christ, it must be over, I can fart with impunity from now on!"

5 minutes later your stomach rumbles, you're not concerned, everything is going to be fine.

You're wrong, and your pants are full of poo again.

8 hours ago, Matt H said:

He'll do 1 really good thing for every 8 (10?, 12?) really average or rubbish things.

It's like knowing you have a touch of diarrhea and when your tummy rumbles thinking "I won't go to the toilet, I've already shat myself 4 times so this one must just be a fart" and you're right, it IS just a fart! Hooray! So you think "thank christ, it must be over, I can fart with impunity from now on!"

5 minutes later your stomach rumbles, you're not concerned, everything is going to be fine.

You're wrong, and your pants are full of poo again.

Mate. I think you need to eat fewer kebabs.

I think most people get frustrated because they’ve seen what he can do. If his decision making improves he’ll become a premier league because he has the pace, power and technique already.

Thought he did ok against the red dogs and agree with those saying he’s not getting the rub of the green at the mo, if that shot in the second half  had gone we would’ve been talking about a goal for many years.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think most people get frustrated because they’ve seen what he can do. If his decision making improves he’ll become a premier league because he has the pace, power and technique already.

Thought he did ok against the red dogs and agree with those saying he’s not getting the rub of the green at the mo, if that shot in the second half  had gone we would’ve been talking about a goal for many years.

"If" requires skill not pure luck , he should have passed and it was a poor shot, and  I hope he has a space on the bench waiting for him to sit on.

Im a fan of Lawrence and although i think he gets more tick than hes due it is time for him to be dropped. 

As a forward your job is to score goals or assist them, Tom is doing neither. Its like Bennett he was in the side for work rate but wasn't producing in-front of goal and was dropped, this time its Tom not doing what is needed so its time for either Jozefzoon or Waghorn to play part for a few games.

2 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Im a fan of Lawrence and although i think he gets more tick than hes due it is time for him to be dropped. 

As a forward your job is to score goals or assist them, Tom is doing neither. Its like Bennett he was in the side for work rate but wasn't producing in-front of goal and was dropped, this time its Tom not doing what is needed so its time for either Jozefzoon or Waghorn to play part for a few games.

Lawrence is our 3rd top scorer with a better minutes per goal record than both of the players you suggest replacing him with.

Bennett is 2nd for assists and has 1 goal, and a similar minutes per goal record as FloJo and Waghorn.

1 hour ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

"If" requires skill not pure luck , he should have passed and it was a poor shot, and  I hope he has a space on the bench waiting for him to sit on.

Sorry but you are wrong. He should not have passed the ball, he did the right thing shooting. If it was the other way round, Marriott shooting and Lawrence wanting the pass, not one person would have said he should have passed, any attacker that is centre of goal with no one in front of them should shoot, I don't care what level it is at, the player's ability, they have to shoot. 

34 minutes ago, rynny said:

Sorry but you are wrong. He should not have passed the ball, he did the right thing shooting. If it was the other way round, Marriott shooting and Lawrence wanting the pass, not one person would have said he should have passed, any attacker that is centre of goal with no one in front of them should shoot, I don't care what level it is at, the player's ability, they have to shoot. 

Exactly my comment at the time, our "fans" moan that he doesn't score enough but moan when he chooses to shoot he gets told "you should of passed".

Sick of the Lawrence bashing, he was one of our better players on Monday and is obviously rated highly by Frank.

23 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Exactly my comment at the time, our "fans" moan that he doesn't score enough but moan when he chooses to shoot he gets told "you should of passed".

Sick of the Lawrence bashing, he was one of our better players on Monday and is obviously rated highly by Frank.

yep 20:20 hindsight.  a few of our players get lambasted for decisions and shots whereas some are immune to criticism when making the same mistakes.  Split second decision making based when not knowing the outcome.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

I would have shot TBH it's just the fact that his end product has been so dire recently and when he is through on goal he is one of those players where I am always expecting a miss. I'm starting to question why he is in the team over Waghorn/Jozefoon as they have n't been given a fair chance and Lawrence has played plenty of games and in the majority of those matches he has offered no end product or defensive support for the Left back.

1 minute ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I would have shot TBH it's just the fact that his end product has been so dire recently and when he is through on goal he is one of those players where I am always expecting a miss. I'm starting to question why he is in the team over Waghorn/Jozefoon as they have n't been given a fair chance and Lawrence has played plenty of games and in the majority of those matches he has offered no end product or defensive support for the Left back.

Agree with this 100% - I believe we’ve pressed teams a lot better without Lawrence and with Waghorn in the team 

2 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

defensive support for the Left back

Non existent! Several times against Forest he needed to get back and get stuck in. He sort of ambled back then just stood looking lost.

Either:

1. He was puffed out
  2. Lazy
  3. No situational awareness

Given his poor choices record going forward I think its lack of a football brain. Needs a few games at a lower level to sharpen him up and restore his confidence.

12 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Non existent! Several times against Forest he needed to get back and get stuck in. He sort of ambled back then just stood looking lost.

Either:

1. He was puffed out
  2. Lazy
  3. No situational awareness

Given his poor choices record going forward I think its lack of a football brain. Needs a few games at a lower level to sharpen him up and restore his confidence.

Did you not watch the match?? He made plenty of runs back, made several tackles and pretty much stopped Grabban from a certain goal.

If you want to talk about position, watch the game again and you will see it was Malone that was constantly lost and spent the most the match about a foot away from Tomori.

Oh and as for Waghorn in the team, this has been for all of about 4-5 matches and don't remember to many positive comments from our fans at the time in fact Frank hauled him off and left TL on.....what does that tell you.

Keep moaning and driving Lawrence away, he will bugger off in the summer along with Wilson and we will be left with Waghorn (an actual striker), Bennett (about 5 goals in 6 years) and Josefzoon (done little so far).

9 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Did you not watch the match?? He made plenty of runs back, made several tackles and pretty much stopped Grabban from a certain goal.

If you want to talk about position, watch the game again and you will see it was Malone that was constantly lost and spent the most the match about a foot away from Tomori.

Oh and as for Waghorn in the team, this has been for all of about 4-5 matches and don't remember to many positive comments from our fans at the time in fact Frank hauled him off and left TL on.....what does that tell you.

Keep moaning and driving Lawrence away, he will bugger off in the summer along with Wilson and we will be left with Waghorn (an actual striker), Bennett (about 5 goals in 6 years) and Josefzoon (done little so far).

Waghorn has been in the team when the team has performed best.

I've not read the thread and I'm not here to moan about Lawrence but if people discussing his performances on a message board drives him away then he probably should drop down a few levels.

He got a load of ridiculous criticism last year when for much of it, we employed the good old "Jamie Ward" tactic of just giving the ball to him and hoping he does something which leads to us scoring. That leads to a lot of missteps and errors.

I was of the belief that with the help of the attackers we brought in this year that he would be much better. The fact that he wouldn't have to do it all himself would be huge.

Whilst he hasn't been sensational, he has been better and he hasn't been bad by any stretch of the imagination. He makes errors and poor judgments from time to time because he's a Championship player - but that doesn't mean he can't improve and he isn't already a damn good one that many clubs would dream of having in this league.

Give the lad a break, attacking players like this have to try things to be successful and they don't always come off. You can look bad for not trying anything too. He seems to get stick for his tackling too, but then stick if he doesn't work hard getting back - you can't have it both ways. 

Lawrence has become a lot better in my eyes since I dropped my expectation level of him down to zero. That way, when he does something good I can appreciate it rather than expect it, and when he does something bad, I'm not disappointed because I have no expectations.

Archived