Tom Lawrence

Ovine_Interferer

3 hours ago, Srg said:

He got a load of ridiculous criticism last year when for much of it, we employed the good old "Jamie Ward" tactic of just giving the ball to him and hoping he does something which leads to us scoring. That leads to a lot of missteps and errors.

I was of the belief that with the help of the attackers we brought in this year that he would be much better. The fact that he wouldn't have to do it all himself would be huge.

Whilst he hasn't been sensational, he has been better and he hasn't been bad by any stretch of the imagination. He makes errors and poor judgments from time to time because he's a Championship player - but that doesn't mean he can't improve and he isn't already a damn good one that many clubs would dream of having in this league.

Give the lad a break, attacking players like this have to try things to be successful and they don't always come off. You can look bad for not trying anything too. He seems to get stick for his tackling too, but then stick if he doesn't work hard getting back - you can't have it both ways. 

I agree, get off his back and he will perform as he has the talent. Don’t give up on him 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've steadfastly stood by Tom as I think he's a player of immense potential. Equally, I'm not blind to his faults. He does need to look up more when he takes players on but that said, he's definitely improving in that regard and others this season and is showing a tad more consistency than we've seen from him before. Has he shown what I think he can as yet? The honest answer would be no but I'll not give up on him yet. I do think he's got an impossible task to please some on here though. Some players can have a few mediocre games without ever really drawing much attention, whereas Tom is only ever one bad game from a roasting. It's a shame really as I think much of the resentment comes from him being bought with funds raised by unpopular sales, the fact that Rowett bought him and his lofty price tag, none of which are his fault.

5 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Lawrence has become a lot better in my eyes since I dropped my expectation level of him down to zero. That way, when he does something good I can appreciate it rather than expect it, and when he does something bad, I'm not disappointed because I have no expectations.

Wow

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

I've steadfastly stood by Tom as I think he's a player of immense potential. Equally, I'm not blind to his faults. He does need to look up more when he takes players on but that said, he's definitely improving in that regard and others this season and is showing a tad more consistency than we've seen from him before. Has he shown what I think he can as yet? The honest answer would be no but I'll not give up on him yet. I do think he's got an impossible task to please some on here though. Some players can have a few mediocre games without ever really drawing much attention, whereas Tom is only ever one bad game from a roasting. It's a shame really as I think much of the resentment comes from him being bought with funds raised by unpopular sales, the fact that Rowett bought him and his lofty price tag, none of which are his fault.

Some people have already made up there mind on Lawrence and even if he turned in 2 Messi overnight he would not be good enough. Ffs if we had the likes of Eddie Lewis and Nick Pickering playing this forum would have something to moan about.

8 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Some people have already made up there mind on Lawrence and even if he turned in 2 Messi overnight he would not be good enough. Ffs if we had the likes of Eddie Lewis and Nick Pickering playing this forum would have something to moan about.

Amen to this ??

Frustrating player. His decision making is often poor at critical moments, for example not putting Marriott through on Monday, opting to shoot from 25 yards instead in a tight game with few clear chances.

However, I think most fans in this division would want him at their club. He is a proper handful, fast, creative and causes teams lots of problems.

He is an asset who would be playing at a much higher level if he got his decision making right.

I really want our wingers or wide front players to have a try at either getting to the line and crossing or at the very least learning how to kick with two feet .

Marriott's cross for Wilsons volley was a case in point ... defenders hate it when having to play facing their own goal . 

This cutting in onto your best foot malarkey is predictable and Lawrence is unsure which is his strongest side therefore neither does one thing or the other ..  needs a little spell on the sidelines ... 

2 hours ago, Ramsam said:

not putting Marriott through on Monday, opting to shoot from 25 yards instead in a tight game with few clear chances.

I'll just quote my earlier post about that. 

10 hours ago, rynny said:

Sorry but you are wrong. He should not have passed the ball, he did the right thing shooting. If it was the other way round, Marriott shooting and Lawrence wanting the pass, not one person would have said he should have passed, any attacker that is centre of goal with no one in front of them should shoot, I don't care what level it is at, the player's ability, they have to shoot. 

1 hour ago, bucktwo said:

I really want our wingers or wide front players to have a try at either getting to the line and crossing or at the very least learning how to kick with two feet .

Marriott's cross for Wilsons volley was a case in point ... defenders hate it when having to play facing their own goal . 

This cutting in onto your best foot malarkey is predictable and Lawrence is unsure which is his strongest side therefore neither does one thing or the other ..  needs a little spell on the sidelines ... 

Our players do what they are told to do and that is cut inside, why put crosses in to 5”9 Marriott when he is more often than not being marked by a 6ft defender.

Lawrence is right footed so plays left, Wilson/Waghorn/josefzoon all left footed I believe so play on the right, this is how Frank wants them to play so maybe would appreciate what they are trying to do.

8 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

Our players do what they are told to do and that is cut inside, why put crosses in to 5”9 Marriott when he is more often than not being marked by a 6ft defender.

Lawrence is right footed so plays left, Wilson/Waghorn/josefzoon all left footed I believe so play on the right, this is how Frank wants them to play so maybe would appreciate what they are trying to do.

Jozefzoon is right footed

12 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

Wow

Not really. When he arrived I expected a lot from him because of his price tag and reputation. When he consistently failed to deliver on that I was critical of him because I expected more.

Having watched him for a season and a half, I readjusted to think that he's decent but no better or worse than a lot of layers in this league, so now he doesn't disappoint because I don't expect to be brilliant.

If he begins to consistently deliver on the flashes of brilliance we see from time to time, then expectations will rise again.

That's not being critical, it's being realistic.

43 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Jozefzoon is right footed

Apologies, thought he was left footed.

Anyway he is probably more suited also to the right wing as he likes to get crosses in rather than cut inside, I’m guessing that’s why Frank hasn’t used him a great deal.

I have to be honest, I really do think TL has massive potential, which is why I feel so frustrated at his lack of consistency of late.  

This was never intended to be a Lawrence-bashing thread, far from it, but like it's been said a few times in here - he does divide opinion.

Personally, I don't really like the idea of "luxury" players in any side as they don't contribute enough to the team ethic.  I'd rather see a talented terrier than a pampered pooch (for want of a better analogy) in the side.

Archived