Oh go on then, where are we eating?

TuffLuff

Couldn’t find a restaurant thread so thought I’d start this, apologies if one already exists.

Anyway Annie’s Burger Shack is opening in Derby on 1st Dec on Friary St and I can’t bloody wait. When I lived in Nottingham it was in a tiny pub in the Lace Market so it’s great to see how much they’ve grown. They are also my joint favourite burger I think I’ve ever had (Blas burgerworks in St Ives, Cornwall I think is on par). 

https://anniesburgershack.com/Derby

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Resturant / burger?

it can't be a proper resturant if it serves a burger. 

Nonsense. Anyway, ignoring stupidly expensive options and focusing on reasonably priced outlets only, the Oxford eateries we like are Atomic Burger, Cowley Road - their Double Dead Elvis with Sci-Fries - awesome. La Cucina, St Aldates - fab Italian (chain restaurant I think but don't let that put you off) with seasonal specials to die for along with a decent a la carte menu, Qumins, also St Aldates - world class curry by any standards, Spiced Roots - Cowley Road - Jamaican fine dining  - yes, really! The Oxford Kitchen, Banbury Road - proper fine dining but priced accordingly and Home, Abingdon Road - Hearty fare and great options for veggies and pescatarians.

23 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Having a bit of Rick Stein in Barnes on Sunday.. The Indonesian Seafood Curry sounds good.

Looking forward to some oysters..

He opened one in Sandbanks a while back, wonder if Mel’s been in for Moules et Frites?

• 3 months later...

As I started this thread about Annie’s opening up I might as well add that I finally got to eat there on Sunday.

Food was good, not as good as the last time I’d been to Nottingham but it was very reasonably priced (pint, a very decent plate size of food and a side shared would I’d guess come in around £15 each). Staff weren’t great (far too many on and no one really supervising it) and the room doesn’t feel quite right but both of them can be ironed out. Should be ok though, although hope they are looking to rejuvenate the whole area around it.

Gonna convince a few mates on a night out in Derby soon and take them and hopefully I can come back here and really rave about it.

A few recent highlights:

Dim Sum Su and English Indian @ Bustler Market @TomBustler1884 for some great street food.

The Oakley Arms - Brewood, Staffs for some good Sunday evening pub grub. Great roast beef. Plenty of nice beers too.

The Oakfield at Chester Zoo - totally random place for a nice pub, lovely old building and good food if not slightly over priced. Plenty of vegetarian options for those that way inclined.

The Green Way Cafe in Matlock.

It's a vegetarian cafe. Stay with me...

The cafe itself is a bit weird, like they've kind of tried to turn the downstairs of their house in to a cafe but got bored of it half way through. It's tatty, needs a good refurb.

It's also really expensive, a salad costs about £12. The same as a steak dinner in a pub!

They put sliced brussel sprouts in the salad.

I ordered two Apple juices for the kids and watched them pour crappy Apple juice from a supermarket carton into 2 tiny plastic cups, and charged me £4.

But if you're in Matlock, get in there. Gotta be one of the best meals I've ever had. 

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

Going to House of Darwin on Sunday.  Looks like the old a Golden Pheasant.  Anybody been?

Been there a couple of times last year. Can't say it was anything special, as I don't remember what I had to eat but it must have been OK or I wouldn't have gone back for a second time.

• 7 months later...

It’s worth pointing out I returned to Annie’s today and it was much much better than last time I went. One of the best burgers I’ve had in a long while. Better beer too!

Also I hadn’t seen before but I’m fully in on The Bustler Market shout, very impressed with the whole set up. 

Finally, anyone know what’s happened to The Pyclet Parlour in the Market Hall. Used to love it there

37 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

It’s worth pointing out I returned to Annie’s today and it was much much better than last time I went. One of the best burgers I’ve had in a long while. Better beer too!

Also I hadn’t seen before but I’m fully in on The Bustler Market shout, very impressed with the whole set up. 

Finally, anyone know what’s happened to The Pyclet Parlour in the Market Hall. Used to love it there

They closed, apparently not enough customers were blowing their crumpet to get noticed.

Land - Birmingham Great Western Arcade. Previously owned by and named 1837. Vegetarian restaurant that will cause even the most ardent meat eaters to admit veggies can taste amazing. £30 per head plus drinks.

Thai Marina - Barton under Needwood Marina. Lovely setting, great sticky rice and Massaman curry. £20 per head.

La Pepita - Gracia, Barcelona. Great tapas in a cracking bustling tapas bar. 

Quimet y Quimet - Barcelona. Legendary. Manic, crowded, pricey but the food is well worth it. Bourdain came here for a reason.

Archived