Unpopular topic? - South Stand

Sowter

Is the south stand the worst thing ever to grace Pride Park?

Personally, having sat in the same seat in the east stand for over 15 year I believe so..

Initially intended to create a better atmosphere, but by offering cheaper ST’s? 

After 70mins today (Shef Utd) it was good. My question....

Why is it so horrific for 70 mins? No noise apart from one block on the top corner?

Bring back the South East Corner! ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I distinctly remember when the South Stand move happpened thinking about when exactly we would start looking at the previous arrangement with rose-tinted glasses.

I agree the atmosphere needs work, but that’s not just a South Stand problem. The music which kills the atmosphere before kick off is worse.

Moving the fans back to the corner and singing at empty seats behind the goal won’t make a positive difference.

Not really close to the worst thing to ever grace PPS, FFS, IMO, DPHSD. FML.

I'm often critical of the effect, or lack of, that is has, but more critical of Safe Standing being some great white hope and not standing in general being used as an excuse for the lack of noise.

At worst it's had no effect at all, as best it's had a small audible effect and initially it had an impressive visual effect (those days are gone). Ultimately I think it's proven inconsequential.

8 hours ago, Sowter said:

Is the south stand the worst thing ever to grace Pride Park?

Personally, having sat in the same seat in the east stand for over 15 year I believe so..

Initially intended to create a better atmosphere, but by offering cheaper ST’s? 

After 70mins today (Shef Utd) it was good. My question....

Why is it so horrific for 70 mins? No noise apart from one block on the top corner?

Bring back the South East Corner! ?

Utter tosh! Having sat in both stands, East Stand was far worse. Full of moaners, never getting behind the team until told to do so by the South Stand. South Stand always does its best to lift the atmosphere. Why not pick on North Stand or West Stand?

35 minutes ago, Mazzaram said:

Utter tosh! Having sat in both stands, East Stand was far worse. Full of moaners, never getting behind the team until told to do so by the South Stand. South Stand always does its best to lift the atmosphere. Why not pick on North Stand or West Stand?

Cus the real support comes from west stand.

i heard a woman behind me call out encouragement not once but twice.

36 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I thought it was the best atmosphere so far this season.

I agree.  There were  welcome and spontaneous outbursts of singing and getting behind the team.... which unsurprisingly came at the time we were looking quite good in the second half (perhaps demonstrating once and for all you don't need flags, fireworks, clappers, poems, etc to get people going... you need to be playing like you want to win, on the front foot and occasionally putting your foot in).  Have to say that the East Stand was, for once, quite loud too (well, the bit I am in anyway).  I'm not sure I heard 'since I was young' either, which is good, though I may now have finally tuned out that dreadful dirge so i'm probably wrong!

I have some sympathy with the OP's view though (perhaps I wouldn't have said its the worst thing ever, as somebody else has said perhaps at worst it has had a neutral effect) but I certainly don't think it has the postive impact hoped for.  

I know Southstanders get quite defensive and hats off to those in there making an effort and trying to get it going.  I have noticed in recent months an organic increase in singing and 'atmos' from the bit of the ES nearest the away fans.  Probably sounds louder to me as I'm right next to it.

3 hours ago, Mazzaram said:

Becuse the north and west stand weren’t changed to improve the atmosphere. I also never said the East stand was good.

I simply can’t understand why we have over 4,000 fans all standing behind the goal, but making no atmosphere (apart from the first 5 mins of big games or when we score). 

It’s the perfect opportunity to make serious noise and encourage the team, unfortunately it just hasn’t worked in my opinion.  

I went over for the Brentford game with a Valencia fan and an Atlético Madrid fan. We went in the South stand for the atmosphere. They loved the atmosphere, loved the game and loved Derby the city. They are now confirmed Rams even though only as second team. One even watched the ManU game instead of Atlético! I look back on the Popside with terrific memories of two hours of constant singing, it was probably exactly the same as now. When the game lifts the crowd the crowd lifts the team. Sometimes the crowd try on their own. Football is a spectator sport where sometimes one needs the other before it reacts. Those who can get to the games enjoy them, good bad or indifferent, because those of us who can't get are jealous. At least I am.

21 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Home fans in general in England aren’t great barring a minority. Don’t think it’s  anything to do with Derby, it’s just how it is. Personally, I think we’re pretty good compared to the rest of the division 

This sums it up well.

Forums across the land for most teams will have a very similar thread. Bramall Lane is pretty poor when they are not a good team yet their fans yesterday were great.

As for the move to the South Stand, it is as poor now as the South-East corner was before we moved. 5 years or so of dire football under Clough did for that, like the fatigue of 10 years in the Championship has affected the South Stand.

There are probably also more people complaining on this forum about the PP atmosphere than are actually singing in the crowd. This suggests that many of those that are complaining aren't singing. There's a simple solution to that... 

I sit to the left of the goal in the SS and i genuinely think the atmosphere is poor. Hardly anyone sings and you can barely hear what the guys up the top are trying to get going. People moved to the SS because of cheaper seats rather than to help with atmosphere. I don't understand why you go to football to just sit and watch the game, for me the atmosphere makes it special

I was in my normal South Stand position yesterday, we made noise for the first 10 minutes as normal, then all goes quiet until we get back in front. The singing 'core' in the south stand always tend to go quiet, I've no idea why. Some near the SW corner always try to get a chant going as well. But it would be appreciated if the rest of the stadium would start something as well. 

I was watching MOTD last night and the atmosphere in the grounds is awful. Very little chanting from the likes of Chelsea and Man U. The promoted clubs seem to be only ones who chant

Archived