Honesty

Angry Ram

I once found a purse in the car park at the Victoria Centre in Nottingham. The thing was I was on my way out and I had paid for my parking. The only thing I could do was drive out and then back in again to hand in the purse. It cost me an extra £2.50 to hand in the purse but I did feel a bit of a hero.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I once found a purse in the car park at the Victoria Centre in Nottingham. The thing was I was on my way out and I had paid for my parking. The only thing I could do was drive out and then back in again to hand in the purse. It cost me an extra £2.50 to hand in the purse but I did feel a bit of a hero.

Surely you take the £2.50 out of the purse?

It was empty, wasn't it?

I try to work on the do as you would be done by ethic. 

I used to take my wife to the station for work trips to London and have to carry her heavy sample bags over to the platform. Meant 50p short stay .. did we claim it ? Always got forgotten and I’m not worried for me, or the company and would expect to co to feel the same over insignificant use of some company item for private use. 

I’ve just returned a hire car in a Greek island. Usually I always make sure the fuel is either the same or more than when I started as per the agreement but this time the car was a shed, it had a knackered windscreen wiper and they were hopeless and unhelpful, as well a ripping me off when tired - after arriving on a late flight - for the “comp” insurance .. I thought sod it, they lost out to a tenners worth of fuel. Do I care ? Was it it 100% honest ? Will they challenge me ? No .. but do as you would be done by, yes. 

3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

It had about £40 and a few cards in it. I didn’t take anything out of the purse without asking the owner who I didn’t hang around to see.

You're a good man.

I'd have left an IOU and took a tenner for a drink, after checking out the photo on the driving license, obviously.

8 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Speaking of checkouts, years ago I worked at Tescos in Oban. I used to give away loads of free stuff, without people realising they hadn't paid for it. Folks would come in from the islands to do their monthly shop, so wouldn't notice £30 for a bottle of whisky. 

The worst one was those ready cooked chickens. The coating of grease meant that the scanner never worked, so you were supposed to put the 13 digit code in manually. They were so disgusting I didn't like handling them, so they were always given away. 

Between 5 and 6pm was generally alkie hour, red faced old men in stinking tweed buying four bottles of Whytes and a packet of biscuits. It was a challenge to try and sneak them a bit of proper food.

There was a really gung ho attitude in that shop. Everyone who worked there hated it, from the top down, so you did what you could to make it bearable. 

It’s funny, I really understand what you were doing, and in the grand plan of things it’s mildly amusing, but I just couldn’t do that. Trouble is my alternative would probably be trying to talk them Out of buying the stuff and attempting “re education” which in itself might be just as dishonest ! ?

11 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I'm honest enough with people's personal things - however I did find a £20 note on the floor on the entranceway to work. No way to tell who had dropped it, and it's hardly the kind of thing you can ask "anyone lost £20?" - you'll get 50 replies. I did ask my team if anyone had lost any cash, and to tell me how much. If anyone had said they'd lost £20 I'd have given it to them, but nobody had, so it's my gain.

The woman at Asda was scanning in my case of 6 bottles of wine and it rang in at £4.50, the price for a bottle. At the end of the shopping I said "it looks on the low side - are you sure it's right?" (knowing what had happened) and she just said, "I hate maths". So I thought, maybe checkout ain't the job for you, love, maybe this might help you with your career direction, and took the £22.50 for myself. No regrets, Asda can afford it - and maybe should choose their staff a bit more wisely.

Did she scan the box or one bottle?

Talking of £20 my missus found a £20 note at her work and at the end of her shift put it in an envelope and put it on her managers desk with a note telling her she had found it. She was pulled in and grilled about where & when she had found it. 

A few weeks later someone left suddenly for no reason or so everyone thought but it turned out this person was nicking money out of the post and the manager had set a trap. 

I forgot to add what was the wine for £4.50?

TBH we all do dishonest stuff and try to justify it to ourselves, we just have to live the best we can, and value every little thing, and take nothing for granted, as duck knows whats waiting for us around the corner

Streaming football? I do and and some would say thats stealing

Got overpaid by a company (20 pounds) and didnt bother giving the money back, justified it to myself as the rates reduced from August to september...

These little things for me arent important, honesty/loyalty in terms of family, friends and people you know is what defines a man IMO

My worst one is definitely when me & Mrs Wolfie were getting married & we had a wedding gift list at Debenhams. My in laws gave us some money to get some Le Creuset stuff, so we did. When we got home, we realised they hadn't charged us for one of the casserole dishes (£130). I tried to call them once but got cut off. I then honestly forgot about it until several weeks later & never did contact them again. They had all our details, though, so should have seen that they were down for the stuff on our list.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

My worst one is definitely when me & Mrs Wolfie were getting married & we had a wedding gift list at Debenhams. My in laws gave us some money to get some Le Creuset stuff, so we did. When we got home, we realised they hadn't charged us for one of the casserole dishes (£130). I tried to call them once but got cut off. I then honestly forgot about it until several weeks later & never did contact them again. They had all our details, though, so should have seen that they were down for the stuff on our list.

Don’t talk to me about wedding gifts. Probably off topic, but worth a rant. If nothing else it’s an example of life shifting on you a bit, so I feel a bit kesss guilt taking some back. Win some, loose some. This is a loose some:

My wife and I got married in Peru (she’s Peruvian). Because it would be impractical to fly 20 toasters back to Britain, we said that we’d just like cash, so we can set up our home when we get back to Britain (especially as we just found out she was preggers). Not unusual these days.

i thought it would be good to have a deal like at the start of the godfather, with a big bag that everyone chucks some cash in. But my wife thought it would be okay to just put some bank details on the invite, and check the account the next morning. We had a total of £20 in the account. 

My family said their gift was coming to Peru in the first place, they’d spent plenty on that, so fair enough (not like it was a massive hardship though, they had a great time). 

But her family had no excuse, turned up to a free bar, 5 course meal, and ducked off. 

I wouldn’t have minded so much, it is a second world country after all, maybe £20 is quite a big deal there. So I maybe I shouldn’t expect too much, and at the time I didn’t, and I was fine with that. But 2 years later we went back for her sister’s wedding. The day after, her mum’s dining room was literally floor to ceiling, an entire wall, with presents. 

That’s always got right on my tits. 

17 hours ago, Gritters said:

Did she scan the box or one bottle?

Talking of £20 my missus found a £20 note at her work and at the end of her shift put it in an envelope and put it on her managers desk with a note telling her she had found it. She was pulled in and grilled about where & when she had found it. 

A few weeks later someone left suddenly for no reason or so everyone thought but it turned out this person was nicking money out of the post and the manager had set a trap. 

I forgot to add what was the wine for £4.50?

It was an odd one - I think she'd scanned the box, but obviously it was set up wrong. I did say to her that it was wrong, and she looked at the receipt and did some mental maths, gave up pretty instantly and sort of said it must be OK if the till said it. So I didn't argue, 

It was a bottle of very low quality stuff with a 10% discount, so the discount confused the girl as well - but it's not rocket science.

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

It was an odd one - I think she'd scanned the box, but obviously it was set up wrong. I did say to her that it was wrong, and she looked at the receipt and did some mental maths, gave up pretty instantly and sort of said it must be OK if the till said it. So I didn't argue, 

It was a bottle of very low quality stuff with a 10% discount, so the discount confused the girl as well - but it's not rocket science.

I don’t know if supermarkets are different but normally they don’t sell boxes of wine so when I have bought a box the person on the checkout takes out a bottle and x’s 6 for the 6 in the box.

6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Don’t talk to me about wedding gifts. Probably off topic, but worth a rant. If nothing else it’s an example of life shifting on you a bit, so I feel a bit kesss guilt taking some back. Win some, loose some. This is a loose some:

My wife and I got married in Peru (she’s Peruvian). Because it would be impractical to fly 20 toasters back to Britain, we said that we’d just like cash, so we can set up our home when we get back to Britain (especially as we just found out she was preggers). Not unusual these days.

i thought it would be good to have a deal like at the start of the godfather, with a big bag that everyone chucks some cash in. But my wife thought it would be okay to just put some bank details on the invite, and check the account the next morning. We had a total of £20 in the account. 

My family said their gift was coming to Peru in the first place, they’d spent plenty on that, so fair enough (not like it was a massive hardship though, they had a great time). 

But her family had no excuse, turned up to a free bar, 5 course meal, and ducked off. 

I wouldn’t have minded so much, it is a second world country after all, maybe £20 is quite a big deal there. So I maybe I shouldn’t expect too much, and at the time I didn’t, and I was fine with that. But 2 years later we went back for her sister’s wedding. The day after, her mum’s dining room was literally floor to ceiling, an entire wall, with presents. 

That’s always got right on my tits. 

You do realise that at one point there was probably £1,020 in the account, but someone used the bank details you'd given them to help themselves.

A few months ago I walked up to an ATM as a bloke walked away, Just as I I was about to put me card in I noticed a wad of cash in the dispenser, I looked round and saw the chap across the market place, I grabbed the money and jogged over to him, gave him a shout as he was just going into a pub and offered him the cash he'd left. He took it off me, barely mumbled summat and disappeared into the pub.

Miserable git he was, it was about 150 quid and he seemed as miserable at getting his cash as he would have when he realised he hadn't got it!

Ordered a £150 coat online and paid for next day delivery. Five days later, no coat. Rang up another was dispatched and received next day. Three days later, what was presumably the first one turned up. Kept it, gave it to the lad, never missed a beat. Folk who sit there openly claiming to be honest, very seldom are in my experience. Why would an honest man feel the need to extoll his own virtue, after all? Quite often it's fear of being found out, rather than innate truthfulness, that dictates whether folk choose right over wrong, if those are indeed the appropriate metrics.

On 04/10/2018 at 10:36, Lambchop said:

Don't know why I never felt guilty about ripping off Tescos, but I didn't. They're not Andy's Records, are they. 

Maybe because I wasn't benefiting from it personally. 

Loved the Tesco story and not personally benefiting financially is an interesting theory. 

Archived