Honesty

Angry Ram

How honest are you?

Is not declaring through customs acceptable? Someone gives you more change than they should. What do you do?

Find a wallet?

Where is the line? Individual = No? Business = Yes?

I recently paid a deposit for a venue for a sales meeting and claimed it back through my expenses. The final bill comes in and it's for the full amount including the deposit. Claimed the full lot by mistake and it was paid no problem. Now I am sitting with the deposit as overpayment of expenses.

Gave it back, fessed up. The wife is not happy, I'm too honest... 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

How honest are you?

Is not declaring through customs acceptable? Someone gives you more change than they should. What do you do?

Find a wallet?

Where is the line? Individual = No? Business = Yes?

I recently paid a deposit for a venue for a sales meeting and claimed it back through my expenses. The final bill comes in and it's for the full amount including the deposit. Claimed the full lot by mistake and it was paid no problem. Now I am sitting with the deposit as overpayment of expenses.

Was it honesty because you’re a good person, or honesty because you were worried if it was ever found out you’d be in trouble, cos they could prove you knew you’d been overpaid?

I’m normally of the opinion that if life presents you an opportunity, you take it. It throws you enough banana skins along the way. These things normally even themselves out. 

Certainly if it’s some faceless organisation that isn’t going to miss it, then I wouldn’t have any qualms. But if I see someone drop a tenner, I’ll chase them down to give it back. My conscience recognises some boundaries. 

I've lost count of the times my car has been hit by some numpty when parked. No-one ever leaves a note.

the last time it happened the whole front was smashed up.

i don't think people are very honest these days. All that went out with good manners.

To be honest I would have done the same AR, if for whatever reason it gets flagged up a few weeks down the line by someone in accounts, mistake or not, could be all it takes to lose your job as they believe you're on the fiddle, isn't worth it.

My missus moans at me as I don't claim expenses whilst working at home, electricity, water and that. I'm not comfortable putting a claim in and ballsing it up as it's based on hours and that, I can be online 12 hours which crosses over to where the missus gets home and using electric as well. For the difference it would make to the tax bill it isn't worth the hassle.

Don't think anyone goes through life with a 100% honesty track record, if they say they have it's bs, but I try to maintain a 95% record, that 5% being when it makes things a little easier not to be honest. Those shoes look great love, come on now, let's go out.

35 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I think I would be worried about your wife. Don't leave any loose cash lying around! You know that dress she said she'd had for years when you noticed it for the first time-bet its new. (Just joking!)

Seriously,  many years ago I made an exchange rate mistake on expenses (Canadian dollars v US dollars when claiming expenses in £) This was the days of cash and travellers cheques. 5 years later I got called on it. Fortunately the company didn't go beyond a bit of a rollicking. I had pointed out that the claim had been signed off by several layers on Management (I was very junior at the time) plus accounts had audited it. Turns out it was HMRC running a tax audit on the company.

Moral of story is beware your sins will find you out!

Wallet, watch, ring or anything that is of a personnal nature I would hand in to the police, get a 'recipt' take notes and pictures and probably a small ad out in the local rag.

£10 fluttering down the road, probably a local charity box, but the most I've found is a quid.

As for work, I learnt by another persons greed.  A colleague took out a number of their key accounts (over 10), way back in the day when The Ivy was considered the place to dine (its an overrated diner in London).  They decided to take their partner along and claimed for the whole meal, which ran into the £1000's and they tried to bury their partners meal in it.  They got away with it until accounts asked for a list of attendees, and it showed one extra meal.  Sacked from a job that payed £50k plus a year (back in 1998) and couldn't get work at that level or in the same industry.

I always try to be 100% honest with people where material stuff is involved. I think that life can be irritating enough without making it worse for others. I'd always give a wallet back or own up to a parking dent. Since being a father my honesty levels have tailed off a bit though. White lies are so much kinder than saying that my daughter's drawing looks rubbish and easier than explaining what the joke she heard about the nun and cucumber actually meant.

With companies though? I still try to be pretty honest, but feel a lot less moral obligation when it comes to large corporations.

I'm having a real dilemma at present. Last year I got a really good deal on fixed term dual fuel energy deal. It's coming to an end next week. As prices have gone up across the board, the cheapest deal I've found is about 10% more. I've realised that when I give in my final readings, if I add a few units to them, I'll get some extra gas and electricity at the old price, rather than the new. OK, I'll get a bigger final bill, but I'll save some money in the end. Is it worth it? Should I be honest and happily give an energy supplier that makes billions a year an extra £50 or so that I could easily, though dishonestly, save?

19 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I'm having a real dilemma at present. Last year I got a really good deal on fixed term dual fuel energy deal. It's coming to an end next week. As prices have gone up across the board, the cheapest deal I've found is about 10% more. I've realised that when I give in my final readings, if I add a few units to them, I'll get some extra gas and electricity at the old price, rather than the new. OK, I'll get a bigger final bill, but I'll save some money in the end. Is it worth it? Should I be honest and happily give an energy supplier that makes billions a year an extra £50 or so that I could easily, though dishonestly, save?

I doubt many people would judge you badly for that. Thousands of people must do this. Probably one of the main reasons that they are so keen to get everyone on trackable smart meters. Meter readers are far and few between these days. The energy companies realised that employing their own meter readers was a dent in their profits, so they all sub-contract it out now to 3rd parties. The 3rd parties ain't interested if you answer your door or not. It's less about honesty and more of an ethical dilemma. Bottom line is that if you do it - you're still not as unethical as the energy companies... think of it as getting them back for all those old grannies they exploit by putting them on the highest tarrifs and hoping they don't notice

I had a similar ethical dilemma with Amazon last year. I tried their Amazon pantry service and it was a disaster. The delivery never arrived on the day it was due, they said there had been a mistake, so they retried, I waited in all day and it still didn't turn up and this time their system said they had tried delivery but no one answered. I was sat working in the room with the front door in it so I know that was a lie. I spent hours on their chat function arguing and complaining. The third effort still didn't turn up and then they said it was showing as "lost" on their system. At this point they were so embarassed that they offered me a full refund and said I could cancel the order. I was so sick of it by then I agreed. Got the money back and then the next day the parcel turned up! The order was marked as cancelled by Amazon and the money was back in my account. Did I tell them it turned up? No...I must have forgotten...now pay your workers a fair wage and pay your taxes.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

Should I be honest and happily give an energy supplier that makes billions a year an extra £50 or so that I could easily, though dishonestly, save?

Wtf?!? If you can screw em for £50 screw em for £50! Where's the dilemma?

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Was it honesty because you’re a good person, or honesty because you were worried if it was ever found out you’d be in trouble, cos they could prove you knew you’d been overpaid?

I’m normally of the opinion that if life presents you an opportunity, you take it. It throws you enough banana skins along the way. These things normally even themselves out. 

Certainly if it’s some faceless organisation that isn’t going to miss it, then I wouldn’t have any qualms. But if I see someone drop a tenner, I’ll chase them down to give it back. My conscience recognises some boundaries. 

Nah it would never have been found out. I do the numbers and the reporting. I'm just too honest, or so I am told.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

As prices have gone up across the board, the cheapest deal I've found is about 10% more. I've realised that when I give in my final readings, if I add a few units to them, I'll get some extra gas and electricity at the old price, rather than the new.

Top tip. Never thought of doing that ?

Ive a confession to make and PLEASE dont the correct person be on this site all these years later.

Generally Im as honest as most. If I found a tenner id likely keep it but wouldnt fiddle expenses or the like. 

But...remember the win at Highbury all those years ago? Yup..the Dean Saunders goal immortalised in the Nick Hornby book.

Well I found myself on weekend leave in London, went up to Highbury ticketless hoping to get one from a fan or tout. Id  got a lass with me from Brighton too that day. 

As we walked up to the stadium I found two hospitality match day tickets for the game. This was pre computers and digital admin. No names on ticket. No idea if it was sold to Arsenal or Rams fan. So we thought " lets try it, worst can happen is we arnt allowed in as the ticket number matches a name"

Well...it sure did match a name. Mr Walker..and they didnt ask for ID. So in we went to this swanky marble staircase area and up to a lovely restaurant area sharing a table with other VIP guests including Frank Mclintock. I decided to keep quiet in case " Mr Walker" was known to others... chatting away as you do but none of them asked or were interested in our names. 

We had a fantastic meal, Derby won with a Deano wonder goal...got away with it scott free. Fab day.

Honest old Stockholm Ram huh. 

Mr Walker who lost his tickets...you on here?? 

26 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Ive a confession to make and PLEASE dont the correct person be on this site all these years later.

Generally Im as honest as most. If I found a tenner id likely keep it but wouldnt fiddle expenses or the like. 

But...remember the win at Highbury all those years ago? Yup..the Dean Saunders goal immortalised in the Nick Hornby book.

Well I found myself on weekend leave in London, went up to Highbury ticketless hoping to get one from a fan or tout. Id  got a lass with me from Brighton too that day. 

As we walked up to the stadium I found two hospitality match day tickets for the game. This was pre computers and digital admin. No names on ticket. No idea if it was sold to Arsenal or Rams fan. So we thought " lets try it, worst can happen is we arnt allowed in as the ticket number matches a name"

Well...it sure did match a name. Mr Walker..and they didnt ask for ID. So in we went to this swanky marble staircase area and up to a lovely restaurant area sharing a table with other VIP guests including Frank Mclintock. I decided to keep quiet in case " Mr Walker" was known to others... chatting away as you do but none of them asked or were interested in our names. 

We had a fantastic meal, Derby won with a Deano wonder goal...got away with it scott free. Fab day.

Honest old Stockholm Ram huh. 

Mr Walker who lost his tickets...you on here?? 

If I remember rightly there was a bloke called Walker arrested outside Highbury that day. Swearing his head off at the stewards and then nicked for breach of the peace. 

I seem to remember that he he was convicted a few weeks later. Turns out he was a solicitor so he was barred from practising.  Lost his house soon afterwards and his wife left him. Took to dink and was done a few months later for shoplifting from Thresher. Got sent down that time and even his kids refused to speak to him. He spent several years sleeping rough around Derby, in between prison terms for shop lifting and threatening behaviour. Last I heard he'd been sectioned. Apparently he kept accusing people of stealing his Arsenal tickets.

3 hours ago, David said:

To be honest I would have done the same AR, if for whatever reason it gets flagged up a few weeks down the line by someone in accounts, mistake or not, could be all it takes to lose your job as they believe you're on the fiddle, isn't worth it.

My missus moans at me as I don't claim expenses whilst working at home, electricity, water and that. I'm not comfortable putting a claim in and ballsing it up as it's based on hours and that, I can be online 12 hours which crosses over to where the missus gets home and using electric as well. For the difference it would make to the tax bill it isn't worth the hassle.

Don't think anyone goes through life with a 100% honesty track record, if they say they have it's bs, but I try to maintain a 95% record, that 5% being when it makes things a little easier not to be honest. Those shoes look great love, come on now, let's go out.

But as you’ve moved to Panama now that’s not a problem.

watch him deny it.

35 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

honesty is generally less stressful i find

I like this as an assessment.

Good soul searching threads today @Angry Ram.

I think sometimes I’m not as honest as I should be in the sense of I need to be blunter.

In terms of outright lies,no I’ve learned over the years.

I find that a few people try and not tell us the truth these days,usually people in authority,NHS,DWP,InlandRevenue,Police etc but you can soon catch people out lying.

Looking forward to the next thread.

4 hours ago, David said:

I knew it. This is you owning up to ridiculing people for suggesting to give youth a chance last season. You then went on to delete the evidence.

Archived