Speeding

Gritstone Ram

On 09/09/2018 at 13:03, Gritters said:

What are the rules for these bar stewards hiding in bushes trying to catch you out? Should there be warning signs? Community concern areas near a school should the camera be set up on a Sunday when the school is closed? I wouldn’t say I drive fast but I may go over 30 mph from time to time. ?

They all should wear high vis vests and be in clear view of the on coming vehicle.

Not like the community Police man who was hiding in a lay-by just outside a military base at about 6.30 in the dark in a dark uniform, pointing at me what could have been a gun.

Being in the military at the time, my first thoughts were to drive straight at him to try and stop him shooting me.

Twonk!!!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:52, Paul71 said:

Nothing good can come from a discussion about Biscuits.

How about a 7 page thread on Digestive Biscuit sandwiches, or dunking policies. You have not lived my friend.

Anybody remember Barmouth biscuits, used to love them. Can't het them anymore!

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

How about a 7 page thread on Digestive Biscuit sandwiches, or dunking policies. You have not lived my friend.

Anybody remember Barmouth biscuits, used to love them. Can't het them anymore!

I've had as many Barmouth biscuits as I've had speeding tickets.

I don't really mind speeding-catching-tactics. 

I do think that the variable limits on motorways and stuff should be better thought out, they can be very sudden, 

The national speed limit is outdated, as people have said, it probably should be higher - it's based on braking distances from ages ago. Cars stop far quicker nowadays. Although an argument could be made for banning cars of a certain age if the national speed limit was increased.

However limits in pedestrian zones aren't really related to braking distances, so it doesn't matter if the roads are quiet, that's no excuse. They're there because if someone loses control of their car the run-off is the pavement (aka where pedestrians tend to be).

The northbound A38 exit from Markeaton Island is a 40 zone until it gets past the Markeaton Park path on the left, which tends to be quite a used walkway. The amount of people who bomb to 70+ immediately after getting off the island is crazy, they could net a fortune setting up a camera there to be honest.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I don't really mind speeding-catching-tactics. 

I do think that the variable limits on motorways and stuff should be better thought out, they can be very sudden, 

The national speed limit is outdated, as people have said, it probably should be higher - it's based on braking distances from ages ago. Cars stop far quicker nowadays. Although an argument could be made for banning cars of a certain age if the national speed limit was increased.

However limits in pedestrian zones aren't really related to braking distances, so it doesn't matter if the roads are quiet, that's no excuse. They're there because if someone loses control of their car the run-off is the pavement (aka where pedestrians tend to be).

The northbound A38 exit from Markeaton Island is a 40 zone until it gets past the Markeaton Park path on the left, which tends to be quite a used walkway. The amount of people who bomb to 70+ immediately after getting off the island is crazy, they could net a fortune setting up a camera there to be honest.

Even RoSPA admit that 85mph is a fair speed limit on the motorway though anyone who has been on a speed awareness course will remember that a miniscule amount of accidents happen there, it's country road and city centres that are going to get you.

Also, braking distances are understated as they don't take into about driver thinking time - plus some of the big boss barges like Range Rovers take an age to stop.

For setting up of speed cameras you need there to have been a fatality before they will consider one (at least in our part of the world). Indeed, even though some poor young lad wrapped his car fatally round a tree just a few hundred metres away they still say it's not a priority.

But, in general, I find it utterly amazing that humans are allowed to drive cars - we take out a ton of metal and then career down the road, texting and changing radio stations, only to be surprised when we smash into each other. In decades to come, when the driverless car is a standard, they will look back on us with incredulity in the same way we can't believe those photos of blokes sitting on girders above Manhattan eating their lunch.

One problem with increasing the national limit is that regardless of what cars can/can't do, a lot of the roads have been built with that limit in mind. Perhaps it could be upped to 80/85 but there are countless short slip roads and exits that simply wouldn't be suited to having the limit any higher than that, there'd be less time for drivers to react, less time for them to get in the correct lanes etc.

There are already enough idiots who swerve over a couple of lanes because their exit has come upon them quicker than they anticipated, that would happen more often.

Congestion would go up too, the quicker the cars on the motorway go the sooner they reach their destination, meaning a higher volume of traffic on smaller, inner city roads. Simply put it would cause more problems than it would solve unless the entire road infrastructure was overhauled. Not gonna happen.

8 minutes ago, Matt H said:

One problem with increasing the national limit is that regardless of what cars can/can't do, a lot of the roads have been built with that limit in mind. Perhaps it could be upped to 80/85 but there are countless short slip roads and exits that simply wouldn't be suited to having the limit any higher than that, there'd be less time for drivers to react, less time for them to get in the correct lanes etc.

There are already enough idiots who swerve over a couple of lanes because their exit has come upon them quicker than they anticipated, that would happen more often.

Congestion would go up too, the quicker the cars on the motorway go the sooner they reach their destination, meaning a higher volume of traffic on smaller, inner city roads. Simply put it would cause more problems than it would solve unless the entire road infrastructure was overhauled. Not gonna happen.

Idiots are the biggest problem on motorways.

There is a range of driving which is worse than doing 85.

As you say sudden lane changes, but thats not just people going fast its those too who think indicating gives them the right to change lane. This can cause accidents and congestion as people brake and the domino effect. 

Then the clowns who hog middle lanes. Worst of the lot. Just lazy driving. Sort out the idiots then we can put the limit up.

5 hours ago, TimRam said:

Problem is increasing limit on motorways in the uk from 70 to say 80 will result in all bmw and audi drivers doing 100+ (if they don't already do this). Scary stuff.

You could conversely apply that this will also encourage Kia and Toyota drivers to hog the middle lane whilst doing 60 mph

You could make the speed limit anything and you'd still have people who believe it doesn't apply to them and others who won't keep up with the flow.

Also, something I've noticed over the last few years, people are far more impatient, bed tempered and intolerant of each other than they used to be. In general I might add, not just driving.

Sith Happens
20 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

You could make the speed limit anything and you'd still have people who believe it doesn't apply to them and others who won't keep up with the flow.

Also, something I've noticed over the last few years, people are far more impatient, bed tempered and intolerant of each other than they used to be. In general I might add, not just driving.

You are probably right about people being less tolerant in general,  but to counter that i think people are less considerate, or that's how it seems.

I dont remember when i was younger all this fly tipping, or litter in motorways, duap carriageways etc.

Driving wise the village i live in is a good example.  There is a road which has a lot of cars parked on it generally. 

As you approach it there is a bit you can slow down pull over a little to see if traffic coming and if so let it come.  Yes its your right of way but traffic coming in the opposite direction have few opportunities to pull on.

People used to slow down to check traffic wasn't coming but rarely now, people just have their foot down because its their right of way and it causes chaos.

I get there might be some passing traffic who dont know the area but most will be village traffic only.

Another good example of less considerate is those posting in one of the football threads about standing at away games, suggesting that those who want to sit are the inconsiderate ones, even when someone posts who is disabled the attitude is dont go then.

Anyway rant over yes i probably am less considerate of selfish behaviour as.i get older.

21 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

It’s an age thing ?

I remember my grandad always telling me how things used to me much better than they are today, I think the older you get you tend to focus on the bad. I can remember when I was young, just, it was no different from today really, technology has moved on a bit, however when I think of some of the things I witnessed and sometimes was involved in I try not to be judgemental in another’s behaviour. 

Not that I’m saying you are btw, however it does appear there are some  old grumpy barstards that remind me so much of my dear old grandad on here....

11 hours ago, AdamRam said:

It’s an age thing ?

I remember my grandad always telling me how things used to me much better than they are today, I think the older you get you tend to focus on the bad. I can remember when I was young, just, it was no different from today really, technology has moved on a bit, however when I think of some of the things I witnessed and sometimes was involved in I try not to be judgemental in another’s behaviour. 

Not that I’m saying you are btw, however it does appear there are some  old grumpy barstards that remind me so much of my dear old grandad on here....

Well, technology has moved on more than a bit from when I was a lad.

For instance, 

I couldn’t of replied to your post from the comfort of my downstairs toilet in the 1970’s.

Im not a grandad yet either.

29 minutes ago, Boycie said:

For instance, 

I couldn’t of replied to your post from the comfort of my downstairs toilet in the 1970’s.

Proper dumped on his post with that.. ?

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

For instance, 

When you were a lad though, would your first thoughts have been to reply to your internet “friends” or would you be in a rush to get to work on time having shared your wit and humour with your mates in person the pub the night before whilst suffering with a hangover. Also I bet you had pigeons in your house that you could have used ?

And I said reminded me......

Archived