Speeding

Gritstone Ram

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

Blummin eck, it’s gone from just over 30mph to being fined half his wages in court!

Poor @Gritters I bet he’s shaking like a pooing dog.

You’ll be raite.

I was hoping I’ll get off because although I wasn’t purposely driving within the limits but sub consciously I was within what is safe. Now I think the Speed awareness course is my best option. I bet it’s a good 7 or 8 years since I got caught before.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I was hoping I’ll get off because although I wasn’t purposely driving within the limits but sub consciously I was within what is safe. Now I think the Speed awareness course is my best option. I bet it’s a good 7 or 8 years since I got caught before.

If you get offered one there’s a course in chilwell Notts that does a Sunday slot. Saves having time off, search the area on the website they send you,  it all local courses weekends.

10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I did the speed awareness course and it was excellent. It made me completely change the way I feel about speed cameras. It particularly resonated with me because they talked about Connor, a boy who died a few years ago in Ashover.

Connor was 16, a really lovely boy, a Rams fan & my nephew's best friend. I'd known him since he was 6. The last time I saw him was a few months before his death at Pride Park. Me, my brother, my nephew and Connor had gone to watch a match. He was such a big, friendly, funny, maturing boy. I remember that last day meeting him in his seat at PP and offering him a cool handshake, which he slapped away and came in for a hug with a "No! Bring it in!".

Connor was case studied on the speed awareness course because he was the only minor (under 18) to be killed on any Derbyshire road since the police had taken over the speed camera operation. 

Speed cameras used to be money generators for the councils - but that's not the case anymore. The police now control them and it's genuinely all about reducing casualties. In layman's terms, saving lives like Connor's. The police believe that the most effective way of reducing casualties on the roads is by placing speed cameras. Their figures add up.

So slow the frig down.

I can’t argue with that. I did a course about 8 years ago. A bit zealous, probably has to be,  but none the less intelligent, thoughtful and I learned something. As with most things it’s a mixture of the law, practicalities, judgement and common sense.

I just challenge the po faced arguments from some quarters that are often just dogma. They happily rides rough shod over intelligence to arrive at a specific goal that is often less than scientifically accurate.

I remember passing a mobile unit ( I was within the law ) parked on a kerb just off the down ramp where the queens med roundabout joins the A52. Your attention is focused forward obviously, but with an eye in your mirrors to the A52 traffic coming up behind you as you filter on to the main road. Then right in front (with one wheel on the carriageway ) a major distraction and partially blocking your forward view .. a mobile “safety camera” ... I actually wrote to the safety camera unit, the reply said that the unit had combined experience of 180 years and knows what it’s doing far better than you mr Joe Public. Yeah, right ! Useful that first 100 or so ?

3 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Shout out to the see you next Tuesday in a BMW doing 110 mph down the A38 in rush hour with his kids in the backseat. 

I think that’s the point and why this topic generates such emotions. I remember from my course, one of the leaders set out a scenario and in essence almost said he wasn’t bothered about the idiots like your BMW sighting. There are always idiots .. he was trying to improve the awareness and appreciation of generally sensible people. .. thing is I think we kick back (at least on the keyboard)  when the law seems to apply in its full minutiae to the already pretty reasonable, while the idiots somehow seem to carry on doing their thing one way or another. .. just one to ponder. 

12 hours ago, froggg said:

Police officer friends of mine say they ask on renewal so may as well take the points and cheaper ‘fine’ as your quote will still go up.

Who renews their insurance? Never stay with the same provider longer than 12 months as their "best offer" can always be beaten elsewhere. 

13 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

I take it you don't drive?  There are no motorways in the North of Scotland, and furthest goes as far as Perth, not Austrailia...

I think you quoted the quote I quoted, instead of quoting what I said.

I take it you don't normally internet?

What I actually said was...

Why on earth would anyone want to drive at 100 MPH on a motorway? Go to a track day if you are a boy racer with a need for speed - or people should organise their life a little better by leaving earlier so they don't have to speed because they are late. As for finding a 'deserted motorway in the North of Scotland' - good luck. It seems that your geographical knowledge needs a little work. The most northerly point of the motorway network is at Perth where it connects with the A9 - just the 200 miles or so short of the north coast of Scotland.

?

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

I think you quoted the quote I quoted, instead of quoting what I said.

I take it you don't normally internet?

What I actually said was...

?

Now youve quoted the quote you quoted.

Its catching.

On 10/09/2018 at 19:18, ThePrisoner said:

Shout out to the see you next Tuesday in a BMW doing 110 mph down the A38 in rush hour with his kids in the backseat. 

Unless you're going 90+ yourself how the hell do you have the time and capability to see who's actually in the car whilst concentrating on your own driving? Genuine question. If you're going 70 and they're going 110 there's duck all chance you'd be able to take in the details of the inhabitants of their car, surely?

Never understood this myself, I have virtually no idea of the identity of another driver unless I'm stationary or driving directly behind them for 20 seconds.

4 hours ago, Matt H said:

Unless you're going 90+ yourself how the hell do you have the time and capability to see who's actually in the car whilst concentrating on your own driving? Genuine question. If you're going 70 and they're going 110 there's duck all chance you'd be able to take in the details of the inhabitants of their car, surely?

Never understood this myself, I have virtually no idea of the identity of another driver unless I'm stationary or driving directly behind them for 20 seconds.

Time to buy a pair of glasses?

6 hours ago, Matt H said:

He was up my arse for a good few miles, then he undertook me dangerously only after that did he then put his foot down. 

23 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Every accident I've had has been at below 10mph and stone cold sober.

Statistically I'm safer when I'm speeding and pissed. 

I've had three in nearly 50 years.

In two, I was parked and not even in the vehicle (one was even on my drive when a guy crashed into it).

Archived