Were Leeds That Good Or ,,,,

nick_d

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Leeds played well and they had the better system. We allowed Saiz to control the game and if you do you are in trouble. 

We played better than at Reading. It’s early doors with the team and Frank is still learning. He has been outthought twice by his opponent. He will change that stat around.

leeds deserved to win but we will get better and will be up and around there at the end of the season 

Leeds are the best team I’ve seen In this league in recent memory; they were the same v Stoke too. Derby were decent. We’ve prepared well and Lampard wants his teams to pass out the back and to press high etc. BUT Bielsa prepares better, trains his team for 8 hours a day, presses high and plays out of the back. This was a case of a professor of football who knows how to implement what he wants to do versus a rookie manager who knows what he’d like to see and do but hasn’t figured out how to do it yet. He was right to ditch Ledley who’s rubbish if you want to play football frankly,  but he should have adjusted the formation as leeds ran riot in the middle and the massive amount of space displayed naïveté from Lampard. 

You then add the fact that apart from Lowe (had a tough game) and the new Chelsea lad, our goalie and the other defenders as well as Ledley cant pass out of the back quickly and accurately and were laboured and clumsy in possession when faced with a modicum of a press. It’s a recipe for failure.

Pep ditched Hart because he wanted a better playmaking goalie. Lampard needs to learn that you can’t make John Stones out of Richard Keogh or Hector Bellerin our of Andre Wisdom - unless you train 8 hours a day like Bielsa maybe.

Got to laugh at some of the reactions on here. Leeds were very good but on another day, we could have had 2 or 3 against them and yet they're the greatest team in Championship history. Give me a fookin break! I said before the game that they'd likely be a step too far at this stage of the season, so it proved. I also said I'd be confident that we'd beat them given a couple of months to bed in the newbies and get used to how Frank wants us to play. I stand by that too. Let's give Frank and the boys a chance eh, or alternatively just continue with the childish bedwetting we see after every poor performance. Your choice. 

15 minutes ago, Ninos said:

He was right to ditch Ledley who’s rubbish if you want to play football frankly,  but he should have adjusted the formation as leeds ran riot in the middle and the massive amount of space displayed naïveté from Lampard. 

In Lampard’s defence he tried sticking Mount on Phillips. 

To stop them it had to be as drastic a change as abondoned our shape and matching them man for man or trying to soak up pressure then hit them on the break.

I think as well that if we are to persist with a fluid midfield Wisdom needs to sit back to make a three at the back. A bit like Sarri’s Napoli in which, with Jorginho constantly backing up play, Hysaj would stay back.

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Got to laugh at some of the reactions on here. Leeds were very good but on another day, we could have had 2 or 3 against them and yet they're the greatest team in Championship history. Give me a fookin break! I said before the game that they'd likely be a step too far at this stage of the season, so it proved. I also said I'd be confident that we'd beat them given a couple of months to bed in the newbies and get used to how Frank wants us to play. I stand by that too. Let's give Frank and the boys a chance eh, or alternatively just continue with the childish bedwetting we see after every poor performance. Your choice. 

This game was always going to be about where we are at. Not leeds. 

So we've got work to do? No poo sherlock.

And practising for longer makes you a professor of football? In other news bears believed to defecate in forests and the Pope is not known for his Presbyterian tendencies. 

Let's take a look around October. Reckon we'll be in full flow just as snakey comes to town ?

2 hours ago, cannable said:

In Lampard’s defence he tried sticking Mount on Phillips. 

To stop them it had to be as drastic a change as abondoned our shape and matching them man for man or trying to soak up pressure then hit them on the break.

I think as well that if we are to persist with a fluid midfield Wisdom needs to sit back to make a three at the back. A bit like Sarri’s Napoli in which, with Jorginho constantly backing up play, Hysaj would stay back.

Didn’t this almost happen under Mac 1? Forsyth would play right against the touchline, sometimes even in the other half from goal kicks. He was the advanced full-back. Bucko, Keogh and Wisdom would shift along to almost make a 3.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Didn’t this almost happen under Mac 1? Forsyth would play right against the touchline, sometimes even in the other half from goal kicks. He was the advanced full-back. Bucko, Keogh and Wisdom would shift along to almost make a 3.

Only when George started playing

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This league is definitely anyone's for the taking right now. 

Sheff Utd really impressed me on TV the other week. But they too have a small squad. 

West Brom are starting to click. They could be the ones... 

Think come xmas, we will start to see who are contenders.A few cup games ,cold mid week games will take their toll and the league will take shape. Hopefully with our depth of squad will stand us in good contention for a top finish.

There’s a long way to go. We need to just keep playing for consistency. There’s a good feel to the Club. FL exudes leadership in a nicely under-stated way. I love the brand of football. We have every reason to feel confident of a good season without getting carried away. We will lose players to injury - we have already - but I’m sure others will step in and take their opportunity. I don’t mind if we don’t go up this year - just beat quite a few teams and of course the Red Dogs and have a good cup run. Teams will start to target Mount and try and stop him. So let’s just enjoy the season...attendances have dropped a bit but let’s hope they come back as we string some results together. But I’m very happy with how things are panning out with the Ram-Pards in charge. 

5 hours ago, Ellafella said:

There’s a long way to go. We need to just keep playing for consistency. There’s a good feel to the Club. FL exudes leadership in a nicely under-stated way. I love the brand of football. We have every reason to feel confident of a good season without getting carried away. We will lose players to injury - we have already - but I’m sure others will step in and take their opportunity. I don’t mind if we don’t go up this year - just beat quite a few teams and of course the Red Dogs and have a good cup run. Teams will start to target Mount and try and stop him. So let’s just enjoy the season...attendances have dropped a bit but let’s hope they come back as we string some results together. But I’m very happy with how things are panning out with the Ram-Pards in charge. 

Three men swarming round Mount every time he got the ball yesterday. Gave Wilson a lot of space to play in. You can't swarm round everyone! 

And of course you can't swarm round Mason when he's taking free kicks. 

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

Three men swarming round Mount every time he got the ball yesterday. Gave Wilson a lot of space to play in. You can't swarm round everyone! 

Yes @angieram I saw that too. Yet he still managed to evade them and deliver his pass. Johnson rightly gets the credit for the pass to Nuge for the 2nd goal but who is the midfielder who steals the ball off Brentford....Bryson of course. 

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Yes @angieram I saw that too. Yet he still managed to evade them and deliver his pass. Johnson rightly gets the credit for the pass to Nuge for the 2nd goal but who is the midfielder who steals the ball off Brentford....Bryson of course. 

Even for the first goal, Mount is alert and plays Wilson through well. For the third goal too, he makes a good interception/tackle(can't recall) and wins the ball before it goes to Wilson. The midfield trio were absolutely on point in both sides of their game(off the ball and on the ball).

6 hours ago, angieram said:

Well if anyone’s going to swarm it’s got to be Brentford @angieram ??

Archived