Were Leeds That Good Or ,,,,

nick_d

35 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I thought Leeds were very good. They played at a high tempo throughout. Broke on us quickly. They were very direct. It was impressive. Saiz is quality. They have some typical Leeds scumbags like berardi and alioski which means they can scrap too.

i thought we matched them for an hour even though there were some flaws in our pressing, and we were careless in possession at times. It was a tremendous game for a while. 100mph. End to end. ledley just couldn't keep up with the sheer physical intensity of  it but i doubt whether huddlestone would have been much better. Their third goal was the killer. No doubt we could have defended better for all the goals. The fourth exposed Max Lowe who seems not to have a natural defenders instinct for spotting danger.

But there were some positives too. 

Tomori was a bit of a revelation at centre back. Much better than Pearce. Josefzoon showed some trickery. Despite the comments from others i thought waghorn improved us and played quite well. Unfortunately we were too spread out to link effectively across midfield. If anything this game exposed us as being slightly weak in central midfield. Mount and wilson seemed to fade.  

We won't meet another Leeds. Keep calm. 

Who was number 14 for leeds . Best player on the pitch .  He looked vey good.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Lowe could become a very good player, however he made two fatal mistakes last night. First he passed his way right to the edge of their penalty  area and then gave the ball away, leaving a gap which Leeds capitalised on and scored. Second the did not jump up with Roofe to challenge and left him to score an unopposed header. Lawrance  also gave the ball away to many times, if we play this attacking style we have to be much more careful  of our passing.

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Who was number 14 for leeds . Best player on the pitch .  He looked vey good.

Saiz.

He had been good against Stoke playing exactly the same way. Should have been obvious we needed someone to mark him out the game. Instead we gave him the freedom of the park.

Leeds were very good made to look better by our display .They were quicker in thought as well as physically .They worked triangles round our players and I couldn't quite believe we let them keep doing it .

When they had the ball they had players moving towards the player in possession for support when we had the ball we ran away .Not sure Curtis would have made too much of a difference but it would have been I less stranger in the defence.

Lowe will be a good player but at the minute he just ain't ready ,the goal at Reading and one yesterday  exposed him in the air .Pretty sure he will go three at the back eventually as Malone is more of a wing back than full back .

Work in progress, shame we met them this early on but we did not have the work rate or desire to play our football that they had .Barstewards.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Saiz.

He had been good against Stoke playing exactly the same way. Should have been obvious we needed someone to mark him out the game. Instead we gave him the freedom of the park.

Don’t think we had anybody who could. The alternate is having somebody deep who will control the game, letting Saiz worry about him rather than vice versa.

1 hour ago, Hector was the best said:

I think Lowe could become a very good player, however he made two fatal mistakes last night. First he passed his way right to the edge of their penalty  area and then gave the ball away, leaving a gap which Leeds capitalised on and scored. Second the did not jump up with Roofe to challenge and left him to score an unopposed header. Lawrance  also gave the ball away to many times, if we play this attacking style we have to be much more careful  of our passing.

Lowe couldn't win with that second goal. 

He was in position marking Saiz when Tomori let his man Roofe go. Lowe tried to get across to cover but too late.

There was a similar goal against Cardiff last year when Olsson got sucked in and left someone unmarked behind him to score. 

Either way, the full back gets the blame.

BTW, I did like the Leeds banner yesterday "Saiz matters". Made me laugh! 

For me, this was always going to be first and foremost about our performance rather than what leeds did or didn't do.

Sounds like we're just at the beginning of our journey with Frank. What you'd expect really. 

If pre season is such a non guide then perhaps we should just give each of our DMs a couple of games - including George Thorne - to show frank what they can do before moving on.

Ledleys had his turn . next up?

2 hours ago, Hector was the best said:

Never going to out jump Roofe. 

It was a team versus not a team. Leeds were as good as any team I've seen in the championship for years, and Derby looked as though half of the players had only just been introduced.

Morning, Leeds fan in peace....think your team needs time to gel, new players, new manager, it takes a while, something we’ve found out over the years. Derby played like a team that didn’t know each other and had no game plan, that’ll change as the season goes on and Frank  implements his tactics and knowledge. I’m convinced he’ll be a successful manager and Derby will come good, think Leeds just had a bit too much nouse for them at this point in the season. Bielsa has transformed us somehow in the short time he’s been here, the team that started yesterday is more or less the same team that looked so poor and finished 13th last year. I suppose the message is that it’s a long season and not to panic about one early season result, there’s far worse teams out there than Derby County. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, hopefully see you in the premier league.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I actually think we were better vs leeds than we were vs reading

Yes, quite a bit better actually. 

2 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I actually think we were better vs leeds than we were vs reading

Agree.

The difference being that Reading will be fighting for relegation and Leeds will be fighting for automatic promotion.

But we are, despite it not being obvious, moving in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Agree.

The difference being that Reading will be fighting for relegation and Leeds will be fighting for automatic promotion.

But we are, despite it not being obvious, moving in the right direction.

But... But... A bloke on Radio Derby said it was the worst Derby performance he'd seen in 50 years....

When I introduced myself I admitted I was a Chelsea fan following you know who. I watched the Chelsea Huddersfield game yesterday and then watched the Derby Leeds game. I don't know enough about your players to make any strong statements but one thing that struck me was the ease with which Derby lost the ball and their lack of effort to get it back. I think some severe bollockings are in order.

I also thought that perhaps three of the four Leeds goals were saveable. Perhaps I'm being cruel there. Anyway, commiserations.

9 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

But... But... A bloke on Radio Derby said it was the worst Derby performance he'd seen in 50 years....

Blokes on Radio Derby saying things is why I don't listen to Radio Derby any more ? 

18 hours ago, Beagle said:

Leeds were good in the attacking areas but we did not do enough to disrupt what they were doing till halftime.Nearly all of their good things came through Saiz and we got nobody around him in the first half which begs the question on what the coaches were doing and also the experienced players.

However it remains to be seen if they can sustain their start they did similar last season winning  five of seven and ended up thirteenth and Bielsa' recent league teams have all ran out of steam in the new year.But today and last weekend they were by far the better in the games they played. 

Totally agree with these two paragraphs, Bielsa style of fast attacking football, high pressing is going to take its toll. Once they start playing midweek matches, ground gets heavier in the winter months. They like us have 44 more league games, plus cup matches to play. While the pundits are all giving the praise out to Leeds now, it is easy to jump on the band wagon of a side who have won 2 matches and have scored 7 goals. I for one, can not see them keeping up the high, fast pressing and attacking football and will stick my neck out now and state they will not finish in the top 2 and might at best finish 6th.

On 11/08/2018 at 20:28, nick_d said:

Was our original first X1 disillusioned by all of the incomings this week?

We were utterly outclassed over the whole 80 minutes that I could stand to be at PP (I know I am a part-time / half-hearted fan etc for leaving early  but I could not stand the Leeds fans' crowing for another second).

So, were Leeds that good or were our first team disheartened by any perceived lack of faith in them by the amount of incoming players brought in recently?

Davies's sudden absence in central defence also raises questions. I hope it's not announced that he's off to Stoke on some kind of loan deal.

Yep Leeds were very good. But we were bad, no question. Hence the result. 

Archived