Were Leeds That Good Or ,,,,

nick_d

Was our original first X1 disillusioned by all of the incomings this week?

We were utterly outclassed over the whole 80 minutes that I could stand to be at PP (I know I am a part-time / half-hearted fan etc for leaving early  but I could not stand the Leeds fans' crowing for another second).

So, were Leeds that good or were our first team disheartened by any perceived lack of faith in them by the amount of incoming players brought in recently?

Davies's sudden absence in central defence also raises questions. I hope it's not announced that he's off to Stoke on some kind of loan deal.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they were very good and in places our team is weak for what we want to do.

They haven't actually gone through drastic style changes. They've recruited the type of players to suit their football for a while and now with the right guidance they are further down the line than we are.

There were positives for us. And some of the negatives were so negative that they might be players that won't need to adapt because they won't be given the chances again and again

I was quite impressed with Leeds, as I was last week. 

I think we were more naive than I would like at times but hey, we lost 4-1 today to a very good, hard working side. Last season we lost 4-1 to a side who were relegated so no wailing and gnashing of teeth from me tonight.

I do wonder if Frank has been shocked at witnessing the current form of some he may have had down as his leaders on the field and that he may have some bad news for one or two in the coming weeks.

Leeds were good in the attacking areas but we did not do enough to disrupt what they were doing till halftime.Nearly all of their good things came through Saiz and we got nobody around him in the first half which begs the question on what the coaches were doing and also the experienced players.

At halftime it was addressed by bringing on Johnson and reducing his effectiveness to a good degree but somebody first half should have picked up that role.Having watched their first two games other teams will sit somebody on him.

Defensively they are suspect with slightly better control on occasions we were clean something that will concern their coaches without a doubt.

However it remains to be seen if they can sustain their start they did similar last season winning  five of seven and ended up thirteenth and Bielsa' recent league teams have all ran out of steam in the new year.But today and last weekend they were by far the better in the games they played.

5 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I was quite impressed with Leeds, as I was last week. 

I think we were more naive than I would like at times but hey, we lost 4-1 today to a very good, hard working side. Last season we lost 4-1 to a side who were relegated so no wailing and gnashing of teeth from me tonight.

I do wonder if Frank has been shocked at witnessing the current form of some he may have had down as his leaders on the field and that he may have some bad news for one or two in the coming weeks.

I’d say the same as you, Leeds were good and we were basically very naive, chasing shadows at times, certainly not keeping up with players.

I’d add one extra comment, I do wonder whether some he had down as prospects to evolve, will actually be capable of stepping up and that he might have bad news for one or two of them too in coming weeks.

I’m tits off that every free kick we had a Leeds player stood on the ball preventing us taking a quick free kick forward which completely worked against any advantage that free kick may have given us. The ref allowed Leeds to do this all through the game then in time added on he decided to book their player for doing this. Why did the ref bother booking him?

5 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I’m tits off that every free kick we had a Leeds player stood on the ball preventing us taking a quick free kick forward which completely worked against any advantage that free kick may have given us. The ref allowed Leeds to do this all through the game then in time added on he decided to book their player for doing this. Why did the ref bother booking him?

The ref was gash all game.

3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

That pissed me off too! Plus the talking to them for the poo tackles and the booking us instead. Not why we lost but made me wonder about referring standards...

We ended up with that result because Leeds wanted it more than us, and because the performance of our defence was worse than the performance of the match officials. Without really affecting the resuklt directly, the officials were awful. How we ended up with four (or was it five?) yellow cards with Leeds on none is beyond comprehension. Only one of our cards was justifiable. What about the two-footed lunge at one of our midfielders, which the ref played advantage for because the ball fell to Lawrence. But he didn't eveb speak to the offender once play broke down. Then Lowe was thrown to the ground right in front of the linesman with nothing given, only for Bryson to be booked for a much lighter pull on a Leeds player. ANd so it continued until Leeds were 4-1, at which point the ref actually started to givce us free-kicks, but only in areas where it didn't matter. He did show two yellow cards to Leeds, but that was in injury time, again when it didn't matter. The free-kick which led to the goal should have been a yellow card, because it was cynical, but it seemed that justice was done. But it wasn't, because that was the second nasty, cardable challenge on our Tom, after which he backed out of most of the remaining challenges, so effectively our main creative threat was neutralised because the ref was a wimp.

There were signs of what is to come, but where was the high pressing which put Southampton and Wolves on theer backsides? And where was the fast, attacking football? Only Tomori and Waghorn (and Bennett once he was actually rewarded for us performances so far) seemed up for it. Lowe showed some great touches but was way out of position too many times, with the excellent Tomori covering his inexperience time and time again. If the result wasn't so bad, I think we would have been singing "Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up" like we did on George Thorne's debut. He is that good and more, and will be a hugely important signing. I am worried for Richard Keogh. He is still a great player at this level, and even while things are not going well, he always shows for the ball, and always gives his all. But something has gone wrong foe him. Unless there is a major change, I can see a Davies/Tomori partnership once Davies is fit again.

Thankfully this has happened early on in the season, and it is only the second match of the season, so there is plenty of time for Frank and Jody to do their stuff. COYR!

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

That pissed me off too! Plus the talking to them for the poo tackles and the booking us instead. Not why we lost but made me wonder about referring standards...

At least the refs are consistent, season in and season out. When was the last time we had a ref who was even-handed. let alone who could remotely be called a"homer" (except in our away games)?

1 hour ago, nick_d said:

Was our original first X1 disillusioned by all of the incomings this week?

We were utterly outclassed over the whole 80 minutes that I could stand to be at PP (I know I am a part-time / half-hearted fan etc for leaving early  but I could not stand the Leeds fans' crowing for another second).

So, were Leeds that good or were our first team disheartened by any perceived lack of faith in them by the amount of incoming players brought in recently?

Davies's sudden absence in central defence also raises questions. I hope it's not announced that he's off to Stoke on some kind of loan deal.

I can’t remember seeing a side as good as Leeds at Pride Park in the last 5 years. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

I can’t remember seeing a side as good as Leeds at Pride Park in the last 5 years. 

That’s quite heartening then, cos with a bit more nous and a bit more luck, from the ref too, we could have at least held them.

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Wolves 12 months ago is the only equivalent. That’s how good Leeds were today. If they can sustain it they’re the team to beat. But we can and will improve lots on that performance.

Leeds will be good when you let them be. But I actually thought when we were chasing down and putting them under pressure they soon become pretty average. As I saw it, play tight and get at their defence and that would possibly hold the key to it as the did not look comfortable when they had no room and would start punting it.

So yeah, good but not unbeatable. We just played them at a poor time for us. Once the league settled and one or two teams starting picking up their play I think they’ll start dropping points 

Just now, BramcoteRam84 said:

Wolves 12 months ago is the only equivalent. That’s how good Leeds were today. If they can sustain it they’re the team to beat. But we can and will improve lots on that performance.

I agree in part, but Wolves beat us on that day because their tactics completely exposed our formation and tactics, and Rowett refused to change.

2 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I agree in part, but Wolves beat us on that day because their tactics completely exposed our formation and tactics, and Rowett refused to change.

You could argue same happened today. Wolves outplayed many teams last season. Perfect balance of attack and defence. 

Archived