43 years ago today

superzak

wow i cant believe its that long ago. Derby beat West Ham in the charity shield on Charlies debut. It was hot ,dusty, and very dangerous for your health if you didnt keep yer head down while trying to find your bus on that wembley bus park lol

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep i was there too.Brilliant day,i remember that the West Ham end was virtually empty around 15 mins before full time.The carnage and chaos outside!! I was looking through some of my old DCFC stuff only last week and found the programme from that game--West Hams number 3 that day F Lampard snr.

I took frozen beer cans which defrosted nicely in time for the game. Don't ask what beer, I cannot remember but canned beer in those days was not good.  Could have been lager (Skol or Heineken) but on such a hot day they went down well regardless ? 

On holiday in Scotland, for two weeks before the Wembley game. Watched us play Celtic at Parkhead in front of a full house. None of my Scottish relatives would go with me as they were Rangers fans and would only enter Parkhead when Rangers played there.

I travelled back to Derby on Thursday, on the overnight train from Glasgow. Met up with my mates on Friday night for a few pints. Then caught the train to London, arriving at some unholy time on Saturday morning.

After watching the game, went drinking in London before getting back to my hotel in the early hours of Sunday morning and sleeping in a bed for the first time since the Wednesday night.

Came down one of the main stairwells which had those sliding / folding concertina lift- type "gates" at the bottom, which was locked!. Hammers fans throwing glass bottles at them and the Rams fans trying to get out, Forced us back into the stadium at ground level as we ran the gauntlet of the flying glass, thankfully unhurt.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Desperate to go but we were away on holiday in Torquay. My old man was so confident he said we'd go next year instead (and he really meant it). When you're a Derby fan, never take anything for granted!

We were on holiday in Torquay area as well but made a day trip to Wembley. Proper Wembley not the modern monstrosity.

4 hours ago, superzak said:

wow i cant believe its that long ago. Derby beat West Ham in the charity shield on Charlies debut. It was hot ,dusty, and very dangerous for your health if you didnt keep yer head down while trying to find your bus on that wembley bus park lol

We did okay after.. The Mile End lads had a lot of respect for us after that.

Came out after the game and Kev O'Reilly bowled past me and the old man, he was on a mission.

Yes it was the old Wembley and I remember standing on the terraces in red hot sunshine and Charlie George being introduced to the fans.

I also remember sitting down at one point just to get a bit of shade from the fans around me! 

It was my only visit to the old stadium for a sporting occasion and remains a special memory. 

I was a 9 year old living in Cornwall. It is funny that I can remember that day vividly, watching my brother play cricket whilst checking the score on the radio. I have seen the Rams every time they have been at Wmbley since. Funny how I can remember that but can't remember what I was doing 3 weeks ago....

The Donington Arms put a bus on and we went on that instead of the usual Wheildon's bus. None of this nonsense about no beer on the bus - we had crates and crates of it.

Archived