Accident waiting to Happen: playing out of the back

Ninos

46 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Its just a shame Rowett took the team one way and now we are going in the other. Lampard is trying to move quick. Expect mistakes. 

Which is exactly why we should be identifying potential successors for Lampard already. It’s been back and forth in styles since McClaren to Clement! 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Carson - great shot stopper but very poor distributor of the ball and kinda scary with his feet

Keogh - big heart great header fun runs but he’s a one footed player whose passing around the back is strained at best

Davies - overall excellent leader and defender but prone to losing the ball and not a distributor either 

Lowes the business as playmaking wing back, wisdom not so sure ...

Should we be concerned with Lampard wanting us to play high tempo out if the back ? Move Huddlestone into the centre half role ? Is this an accident waiting to happen ? Or should we not be worried? 

I said the same at the Southampton game - we will leak goals because of it but it’s part of the package this season so I won’t be going potty when it happens but looking at the bright side we did it twice at Reading and somehow won - Huddlestone playing would reduce the amount of blind panic immeasurable 

32 minutes ago, Wrightdcfc said:

Now that isn’t going to happen in a month of Sunday’s. 

Looks like you’re relatively new here, welcome by the way, I was pulling Ninos’s leg, to say he’s not a fan would be an understatement, to say he hasn’t got the time of day for Martin might be a little closer. ? 

3 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Looks like you’re relatively new here, welcome by the way, I was pulling Ninos’s leg, to say he’s not a fan would be an understatement, to say he hasn’t got the time of day for Martin might be a little closer. ? 

Why thank you, a bit of whit and banter cannot beat it. I am on the fence with CM cracking footballer on his day although  I think his time here is served. 

2 minutes ago, Wrightdcfc said:

Why thank you, a bit of whit and banter cannot beat it. I am on the fence with CM cracking footballer on his day although  I think his time here is served. 

Yeah, possibly, but I would have no objection if he was given a couple of games to confirm it or not mind. I think he splits opinion a fair bit but we mustn’t hijack the thread when there’s been enough written about him elsewhere. 

Enjoy the forum, there’s a fair bit of wit and banter on here. 

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, Ninos said:

Carson - great shot stopper but very poor distributor of the ball and kinda scary with his feet

Keogh - big heart great header fun runs but he’s a one footed player whose passing around the back is strained at best

Davies - overall excellent leader and defender but prone to losing the ball and not a distributor either 

Lowes the business as playmaking wing back, wisdom not so sure ...

Should we be concerned with Lampard wanting us to play high tempo out if the back ? Move Huddlestone into the centre half role ? Is this an accident waiting to happen ? Or should we not be worried? 

I had a red hot curry friday night,  that was an accident waiting to happen. 

4 hours ago, cannable said:

Which is exactly why we should be identifying potential successors for Lampard already. It’s been back and forth in styles since McClaren to Clement! 

It was my understanding that this was supposed to be a big part of the much derided 'Derby Way - maybe Mel knew what he was talking about back then?

Keogh is more than capable of playing out from the back. Just had a bad game and specifically a bad first half. He wasn’t helped by the midfield either.

There will be mistakes playing this way. We just have to go with it and support the lads as this team evolves. A bit like we’ve managed to do with England this summer. They rewarded us by surprising us, maybe Derby will surprise us also.

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Keogh is more than capable of playing out from the back. Just had a bad game and specifically a bad first half. He wasn’t helped by the midfield either.

There will be mistakes playing this way. We just have to go with it and support the lads as this team evolves. A bit like we’ve managed to do with England this summer. They rewarded us by surprising us, maybe Derby will surprise us also.

I agree with your post, this is soooooo much more exciting than that that utter drivel Hoofball served up....never forget Wolves away and QPR away for example ......memories of those performances give me the shivers!!.....spineless defensive performances..give me this type of football every day of the week....attendances this season will be interesting as well as fans won't be so bored rigid this season

Looks to me that Lamps (yea, he’s a mate of mine) is progressing a model called “the Fulham way”.

Very similar approach - high possession, fast interchanges in the final third, and taking some risks at the back.  

My concern on Friday was no holding midfielder - l would rather see someone sit in our team like Kevin McDonald did for them. Someone needs to be giving Keogh and Davies easier out balls.

l do expect to see us come a bit unstuck a few times over the next couple of months, but that’s ok if we are making progress. Fulham were 17th last November. In fact it was only when Mitrovic arrived that they looked the real deal.  Hoping Waghorn’s arrival might be similarly advantageous.

I have always thought that Keogh isn’t necessarily a ball player in the traditional sense. He can make driving runs which requires technical ability on the ball but his range of passing isn’t exceptional. 

We also seemed to be playing a pretty high line on Friday night, which not only gives Keogh less time on the ball, but also gives him less space to run into beyond their first press. Seemed to negate his strengths quite a lot whilst exposing his weaknesses.

23 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Looks to me that Lamps (yea, he’s a mate of mine) is progressing a model called “the Fulham way”.

Very similar approach - high possession, fast interchanges in the final third, and taking some risks at the back.  

My concern on Friday was no holding midfielder - l would rather see someone sit in our team like Kevin McDonald did for them. Someone needs to be giving Keogh and Davies easier out balls.

l do expect to see us come a bit unstuck a few times over the next couple of months, but that’s ok if we are making progress. Fulham were 17th last November. In fact it was only when Mitrovic arrived that they looked the real deal.  Hoping Waghorn’s arrival might be similarly advantageous.

Were they really 17th in November!?! 

That the last time they lost until the end of the season? 

Don’t think anyone is advocating hoofball but if you’re gonna play high tempo with the goalie passing out to the defenders you need horses for courses.

As much as I like all 3 - Carson Keogh and Davies - the horses don’t seem to be designed for the courses - maybe the acquisition of the Chelsea kid is a response to that in that he’s a ball playing defender. Defenders need to make quality passes forward quick passes across the back line and occasionally even beat the forward.  Huddlestone may be an answer to this too as he’s clearly equipped in this regard. 

Time was when a goalie just booted the ball toward the opposite goal and it was up to the midfield/ forwards to fight for possession.

Now any half decent defender is expected to land the ball precisely on a player's 'good' foot.

Carson and Keogh seem exceptionally skilled at accurate long shots.

They are so genuinely reliable that when they occasionally get it wrong it seems to be 'an accident waiting to happen'.

It isn't, it is part of being in a team where players play to each other's strengths.

Having said that, I do cringe a bit when I see a goalie cross the centre line to help the forwards.

He almost invariably ends up having to run back to his goal area to deal with a breakaway.

It rarely, if ever, achieves anything got the team.

Keogh, on the other hand, seems perfectly at home in an onside position a few yards from the opposite goalmouth!

Archived