Accident waiting to Happen: playing out of the back

Ninos

Carson - great shot stopper but very poor distributor of the ball and kinda scary with his feet

Keogh - big heart great header fun runs but he’s a one footed player whose passing around the back is strained at best

Davies - overall excellent leader and defender but prone to losing the ball and not a distributor either 

Lowes the business as playmaking wing back, wisdom not so sure ...

Should we be concerned with Lampard wanting us to play high tempo out if the back ? Move Huddlestone into the centre half role ? Is this an accident waiting to happen ? Or should we not be worried? 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? Keogh was great under McClaren, playing from the back. Why would we shoehorn Huddlestone into a different position? Curtis Davies had fine distribution all last season? 

I think you're making huge assumptions from ONE game, considering those defenders had pretty much excellent distribution during preseason. You may have a case for Wisdom though.

Who needs a defense when we've bought as many attacking players as possible, outscore the opponent, simples ?

On a serious note, was wisdom and Keogh not key to the playing from the back style of Mac 1? The majority of this team didn't play together last year, reserve judgement on this team and its style until we're a few games in. 

I think it was more due to lapses in concentration, rather than their inability to play football. I think it needs to be highlighted, because we allowed ourselves to get pressed back far too easily. Ledley needed to make himself more visible, but in those situations we can't rely on one outlet. 

We should also have pre-planned movements when playing out from the back. Ideally, the CDM should be a decoy to drag players away from Bryson & Mount, which would make the transition up the field a lot quicker. Both of them can take the turn with the ball quickly. 

We are one game in..... we are a championship side, mistakes happen..... pretty sure even the likes of Man Citeh have misplaced a pass or two playing from out the back..... 

My concern is with how we'll do against teams who are very good at counter attacking. Wisdom and Lowe are basically playing as wingers and Ledley keeps popping up on the edge of the box. It'll end up with 4 or 5 on 2 (Keogh and Davies) situations if we're not careful 

The only thing I would change - and for me the main problem - was the defensive midfielder who was nowhere to be seen and who would naturally be the middle man taking the ball from the defensive and getting play moving. That meant the centre halves didn't really have a decent outlet. Something Thorne is very good add, picking up a bit of space, receiving the ball and playing forward.

Also, let's see whether they can do it when they're not rabbits in the headlights in Frank's first game. 

I share some of @Ninos‘s concerns. Not sure we have the personnel at the back to play the way Lampard wants yet. Especially in Davies. He shone in that Rowett team but was asked to do a totally different job.

Keogh is a decent ball-player, despite his rather freak-show performance on Friday. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds, but if I were Frank, I’d be trying to bring in someone like Souttar over say Joe Bryan.

How else does Lampard build his team? 

Can't start off by asking them not to play in a style that he wants to play later on!

You don't get many ball playing CB's at this level that are decent defenders too. If they're good at both then the PL takes them. This is the 2nd tier. 

I think we are in danger of asking for too much too soon because the friendlies went well. We will have to learn on the job. Learn by making mistakes and by hitting brick walls.

People will cry for 442 and hoofball at times. But that's also an art too and I'd rather Derby develop in one direction rather than be a mess of players like Clement had, Pearson had, Mac 2 had and Rowett had for a while. 

Its just a shame Rowett took the team one way and now we are going in the other. Lampard is trying to move quick. Expect mistakes. 

38 minutes ago, Alpha said:

How else does Lampard build his team? 

Can't start off by asking them not to play in a style that he wants to play later on!

You don't get many ball playing CB's at this level that are decent defenders too. If they're good at both then the PL takes them. This is the 2nd tier. 

I think we are in danger of asking for too much too soon because the friendlies went well. We will have to learn on the job. Learn by making mistakes and by hitting brick walls.

People will cry for 442 and hoofball at times. But that's also an art too and I'd rather Derby develop in one direction rather than be a mess of players like Clement had, Pearson had, Mac 2 had and Rowett had for a while. 

Its just a shame Rowett took the team one way and now we are going in the other. Lampard is trying to move quick. Expect mistakes. 

If all else fails this season at least we can say we’ve watched some exciting football from all the dross we have had to watch since Mac 1. It worked that year and can work again this year and I believe we have a better more youthful team to play this style of play this season opposed to Mac 1 

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Carson - great shot stopper but very poor distributor of the ball and kinda scary with his feet

Keogh - big heart great header fun runs but he’s a one footed player whose passing around the back is strained at best

Davies - overall excellent leader and defender but prone to losing the ball and not a distributor either 

Lowes the business as playmaking wing back, wisdom not so sure ...

Should we be concerned with Lampard wanting us to play high tempo out if the back ? Move Huddlestone into the centre half role ? Is this an accident waiting to happen ? Or should we not be worried? 

How can you chat so much sense here but chat so much poo about Martin?! 

Archived