Accident waiting to Happen: playing out of the back

Ninos

58 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Looks to me that Lamps (yea, he’s a mate of mine) is progressing a model called “the Fulham way”.

Very similar approach - high possession, fast interchanges in the final third, and taking some risks at the back.  

My concern on Friday was no holding midfielder - l would rather see someone sit in our team like Kevin McDonald did for them. Someone needs to be giving Keogh and Davies easier out balls.

l do expect to see us come a bit unstuck a few times over the next couple of months, but that’s ok if we are making progress. Fulham were 17th last November. In fact it was only when Mitrovic arrived that they looked the real deal.  Hoping Waghorn’s arrival might be similarly advantageous.

I thought we'd already established that Kevin McDonald is a central defender. 

He only appears to be in midfield because the horizontal hold has gone on your tele.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I find it hard to blame Keogh too much for misplacing passes on Friday. The midfield (I assume Ledley's job) wasn't dropping in to pick up the ball meaning he had to play harder, more speculative passes that are more likely to be intercepted.  

C'mon!! Keogh's misplaced passes were just careless nothing speculative about them, I would hope he has got them out of his system now but no one else to blame but the man himself. Not a problem, we move on.

There is an awful lot of chat going on already (including by me) about playstyles, formations, player qualities etc. 

Reality check:

• It was the first game with a lot of emotional pressure
  • It was an away game
  • Tactically no-one knew what to expect from Clement (and I guess them from us)
  • It was very hot and humid

So the first half was always going to be a bit odd (despite all our wishing for a walk-over). Modern players nearly always go for caution these days so there was a bit of chess going on.

Second half was better.

• We looked more of a team
  • We were fitter than Reading
  • We didn't give up

Leeds will be a huge test but

• Its the second match
  • Its at home
  • We know how Leeds will play (Scarily quick)
  • It will be cooler

Should be a good pointer for the future

The alternative is hoofing it to a big man up front. 

Trying to play football from the back is always risky, even Igor made mistakes, but the benefits far outweigh the odd loose ball. 

Try worrying about how scarily good we’re going to be when everything clicks into place, rather than the odd goal we’ll concede from trying to play football. 

Archived