Is this season a write-off already?

Bris Vegas

I think we would still be more than capable with that midfield though or Wilson goes in, we could even tweak the formation slightly and play with an out and out number 10 if we still have Vydra and Mounts not playing due to fatigue or injury. 

Ideally we would make a sale and be able to have another creative midfielder come in but until we sell someone I can’t see us bringing someone in and I don’t think we hugely weak in that area. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

From less than 45 minutes in a friendly, Wilson can do that long term? I have doubts. 

I get that you're not going to get two Mason Mounts, but we should have a similar type of player for backup, and we don't. I accept Johnson can back up Bryson. A midfield of Ledley, Bryson and Johnson however, has no creativity. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my mind, we arent getting in top 6 and we certainly arent going up- I think we will be too naive in our away games vs teams like west brom, villa, boro, leeds ect to finish there

But could this season be start of something special? Hell yes

Is the football going to be good? Hell yes

Am I going to enjoy it? Hell yes

3 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

9 games into the season, squad looking strong and exciting, 5 games won, 2 points off the top...

This thread gives me a glimmer of hope that Marriott might not be a dud.

To be fair, this thread was about how with us changing style of play this would be a transitional season, not that Lampard is crap or anything like that

1 hour ago, dcfcfan1 said:

In my mind, we arent getting in top 6 and we certainly arent going up- I think we will be too naive in our away games vs teams like west brom, villa, boro, leeds ect to finish there

But could this season be start of something special? Hell yes

Is the football going to be good? Hell yes

Am I going to enjoy it? Hell yes

villa are poo west Brom average apart from their strikers and wingers and Leeds will do the same as every season and they have a poor squad compared to ours, Boro is the only one I agree with as they are very solid defensively, but if we can't get at the bare minimum top 6 with our squad which is the best in the league on paper then there is something seriously wrong.

2 hours ago, cannable said:

To be fair, this thread was about how with us changing style of play this would be a transitional season, not that Lampard is crap or anything like that

The point I was making was that writing off the season was prematurely negative, as is writing off Marriott.

For me i was truly excited when Frank and Jody came, i knew it was going to be a rebuild.. almost anyway, and i dont want to get carried away, as we have seen we have had some awful games and yet shown some real sparks of quality, i think that Frank and Jody know what they want, and will bring it if they can, i personally hope we buy youth and build, A. its cheaper (i know its trickier but so are players with high price tags, look at Pogba... )B. it allows us to let our management team develop their own style, as they will buy/coach players into  their mould. 

So to answer your initial Question Bris (and ive always respected your pov) No, its not, anything but, its a chance to let a manager and coach develop a team able to play and survive should we get to the Prem, cos as we've seen sitting back and trying to stiffle teams doesn't work, (Wolves have the right idea) and here's a valid point to finish, MM may be wealthy by our standards but his Millionaire status is in the hundreds, which in truth wont fund the huge fees of the moment we see in the prem, so as i said train/buy youth, and let Frank and Jody do their Jobs... and the future i believe is bright if we can keep them !?

P.S. I think Frank has in his heart 3 teams, West Ham( his 1st love), Chelsea(his 2nd and maybe deeper love) and now Derby(if MM and we play it right,his 1st 'football baby') and by the way Frank if you read this Congratulations to you and Christine on the birth of Patricia Charlotte Lampard,i wish you nothing but health and happiness . ?

20 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

villa are poo west Brom average apart from their strikers and wingers and Leeds will do the same as every season and they have a poor squad compared to ours, Boro is the only one I agree with as they are very solid defensively, but if we can't get at the bare minimum top 6 with our squad which is the best in the league on paper then there is something seriously wrong.

It would be nice to think we could. But expecting a rookie manager to get promoted in his first season is a bit unfair. Shall we set our sights on champions league in 3 years?

hope the the best, bit I’m expefting nothing other than exciting football, youth being brought through, a bit of a buzz about the place, and a an excellent foundation built for next season. 

22 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Forest ? 

Just saying

Only one defeat this season, starting to get that Karanka hard to beat mentality without setting the world alight 

those sort sides aka Burnley tend to be the ones that maintain a very strong challenge as much as it pains me 

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Forest ? 

Just saying

Only one defeat this season, starting to get that Karanka hard to beat mentality without setting the world alight 

those sort sides aka Burnley tend to be the ones that maintain a very strong challenge as much as it pains me 

They lack quality in attack we will finish above them they may manage 6th but we will finish between 4th and top.

10 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Forest ? 

Just saying

Sort of like us under billy Davies. They’ll probably end up 6th with a plus 5 goal difference, and do a Huddersfield in the play offs. Lots of nil-nil draws and the occasional last minute penalty for 3 pts. I wish I was a forest fan. 

Today was the best Derby performance all-round since those heady days of Mac I.

A write-off? That depends on what you want out of watching football, but I want to be entertained - and we had that today in spades. I'm almost looking forward to our annual mauling v Man Utd - just on the off-chance that something special is really beginning to happen. The league cup was the competition where things started to happen for Derby under Brian 50 years ago. We didn't win it - we didn't even come close, but we took some massively impressive scalps that yeat and the confidence the players took from walloping Chelsea and taking Everton apart served as a springboard for promotion.

A write-off? Not while I'm still not too old to believe in fairy tales.

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Sort of like us under billy Davies. They’ll probably end up 6th with a plus 5 goal difference, and do a Huddersfield in the play offs. Lots of nil-nil draws and the occasional last minute penalty for 3 pts. I wish I was a forest fan. 

I don't.

We're currently 6th after 9 games with 16 points. We're two points off top, but also two points off 12th. For those of you who aren't too good at maffs, that means there's only 4 points separating the entire top half. This time next week Swansea (14th) could be above us or we could be 1st.

Quite surprisingly, the Championship is yet again incredibly tight, incredibly competitive and incredibly hard to predict. Writing off the season for any side 9 games in would be almost as ludicrous as writing it off before a ball had even been kicked.

15 hours ago, eddie said:

A write-off? Not while I'm still not too old to believe in fairy tales.

The reality is....you're never always too old to believe.

Archived