Is this season a write-off already?

Bris Vegas

On 18/07/2018 at 19:42, ossieram said:

We finished above our rivals and you think it doesn't matter? Are you a football fan?

Rivals? Really?

tottenham and arsenal are rivals. City and united are rivals. But forest would st least have to be competing in the same half of the league as us before I’d call them rivals. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And “forest had the 4th most clean sheets in the last quarter of the season”. I’ve heard of stats being manipulated to make a point, but that’s pretty tenuous and obscure.

Reminds me of traveling round Thailand and the tour guide saying ‘this is the third biggest bhuddist temple in this particular province of Thailand.’ To make it sound more interesting. 

We started taking the piss saying “this step happens to be the 8th biggest step on this particular flight of stairs, let’s stop and take a photo.”

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Reminds me of traveling round Thailand and the tour guide saying ‘this is the third biggest bhuddist temple in this particular province of Thailand.’ To make it sound more interesting.

"That's interesting. How many Buddhist temples are there in this province of Thailand?"

"Three."

13 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Rivals? Really?

tottenham and arsenal are rivals. City and united are rivals. But forest would st least have to be competing in the same half of the league as us before I’d call them rivals. 

Deleted - misunderstood post

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, 86 points said:

So you say Forest are not our rivals because they finished in the bottom half of the division then quote City, United, Arsenal and Spurs as being proper rivals, even though they are NOT EVEN IN THE SAME DIVISION as us. 

That's some massively entitled drivel right there. 

I dont agree with him that forest arent rivals but read it back.

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

So you say Forest are not our rivals because they finished in the bottom half of the division then quote City, United, Arsenal and Spurs as being proper rivals, even though they are NOT EVEN IN THE SAME DIVISION as us. 

That's some massively entitled drivel right there. 

I meant they’re rivals with each other, because not only are they local, they also compete at the same level, within a few places as each other, all competing for the same prizes (champions leagues spots or better). 

We compete for play off spots season after season. Forest compete for safety. Not rivals. 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

I meant they’re rivals with each other, because not only are they local, they also compete at the same level, within a few places as each other, all competing for the same prizes (champions leagues spots or better). 

We compete for play off spots season after season. Forest compete for safety. Not rivals. 

Sorry mate - completely misunderstood the point you were making. Have deleted the post as clearly it's not fair or pertinent.

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

Sorry mate - completely misunderstood the point you were making. Have deleted the post as clearly it's not fair or pertinent.

Too late now, I’ve quoted it, it will live on the forum now forever, and be dragged up in any future political career you might have. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

There’s got to be a better team word than rivals though. Rivals gives them far too much respect. 

There is a better word yes...unfortunately it would get blocked on here.

Unfortunately the season is already a write off. Forest have won the league already. Not even waited for their first game of the season this time to declare it.  They’ll keep a record 46 clean sheets and score 250 goals breaking all records because we all know Portugal are going to dominate football for the next 20 years

On 12/07/2018 at 14:18, Bris Vegas said:

No new signings

A new inexperienced manager with little room to manoeuvre in the transfer market. 

An ageing squad only declining in ability

Championship rivals spending big and improving their squad

Half the current squad out of contract next summer - not exactly a good base to build around

I don’t blame Lampard for any of this. It’s not like the Nigel Pearson situation where he waited until the season started and then panicked because the players didn’t fit his system.

This upcoming season already seems like a waste of time when half the squad will be gone in 12 months and it’s not good enough for promotion. We don’t have a Hughes or Hendrick to build around either.

Pretty fair and realistic summary. 

43 minutes ago, europia said:

Pretty fair and realistic summary. 

But just a tinsy wee bit premature with the statement don't you think? If it had been as the transfer window was slammed in our faces I might have bought it, but....

On 18/07/2018 at 18:17, Bris Vegas said:

I'd easily swap our squad for Swansea, West Brom, Stoke, Forest, Boro, Sheff Wed, Norwich and Brentford.

While some be lacking individually, they each have a team more suited to their manager's style of play and they'll strengthen further as the window goes on. 

Swansea - They had their fast, possession based footballing philosophy tore apart in recent seasons and are now trying to rebuild that. Not sure they have the squad they'd want just yet. 

West Brom - A lot of very decent players who wouldn't have gone down had they got rid of Pardew sooner so I'd agree with this one. 

Stoke - Spending a lot of money on effective championship players so fair enough again. 

Forest - We absolutely do not know the quality of the players they've brought in. Grabban is a goal scorer but would I want him in our squad, aged 30, on a 4 year contract? No. Will be interesting to see how their new signings do but I can't see past 0-0 and 1-0 being their most common scorelines with that manager. 

Boro - They're starting to get the players Pulis wants. They already had a squad full of quality and the best player (arguably) in the league with Traore. 

Sheff Wed - Do they have a squad that suits their new gaffer's style? He's only had 1 transfer window with them and its a big change. 

Norwich - Very good squad of young players but lost their best player (by some distance) in Maddison. Playing them wouldn't worry me but I'm sure playing us wouldn't worry them. 

Brentford - I dream of us having the sort of consistency in coaching and recruitment that these guys have. Paired with the fact we are much bigger and wouldn't need to sell so regularly it'd be brilliant. 

I'd let you have West Brom, Stoke, Boro and Brentford out of that list. Maybe's are Forest and Norwich. 

On 18/07/2018 at 18:34, Ambitious said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but what have you seen from Norwich, Forest & Wednesday to suggest they've added 15, 22 & 18 to their points tally from last season? 

Boro were one point better off than us last season, whereas Brentford were six points worse off, so I can see how that could be argued one way or another. Relegated teams are always tipped to go straight back up, despite only 1 in the last 6 managing it. 

This is the thing, we were not just finishing higher than some of these, we were in a different ball park. We'd have to be much worse and those much better for them to over take us? 

I can see them being lots better (they can't get worse). I just can't see us being so much worse than last season? 

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

Is the write off of this season a write off already?

Well I think even Bris has recognised that flo is a good signing ... maybe cos he is Dutch . Mind you I think our young English and Welsh signings are better. Let’s see who we sell and maybe bring in one or two more 

Archived