Is this season a write-off already?

Bris Vegas

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Unfortunately, Forest have moulded a potent Championship squad this summer which is set up for Karanka's style of play. They lacked goals and creativity big time last season, 

Only four teams kept more clean sheets than Forest in the last quarter of the season. Karanka certainly shored up their defence.

And now they've added creativity and goals this summer with the likes of Grabban, Soudani, Carvalho, Goncalves and Gil Dias. Not to mention signing Pantilimon and Figueirido on perm deals.

I'll be amazed if they don't finish top six, or if Derby finish above them.

can't see Pantilimon threaten the golden boot ,still you can dream

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, cannable said:

For all the crying there’s only a couple actually arguing directly against the point Bris is making… that certain players don’t fit Lampard’s system. 

He made some good points and it’s hard to really properly disagree with them to be honest. People probably just read the title of the thread and got their knickers in a twist without reading the content itself. I quite enjoy reading Bris’ content. He may appear to be ‘controversial’ but he was right about Pearson, Rowett and a few others. It’s worth noting that he isn’t criticising Lampard himself, but the unbalanced squad left behind ,as you said, due to them suiting different styles and tactics. 

Players like Johnson were never going to suit high energy, controlled possession football 

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Unfortunately, Forest have moulded a potent Championship squad this summer which is set up for Karanka's style of play. They lacked goals and creativity big time last season, 

Only four teams kept more clean sheets than Forest in the last quarter of the season. Karanka certainly shored up their defence.

And now they've added creativity and goals this summer with the likes of Grabban, Soudani, Carvalho, Goncalves and Gil Dias. Not to mention signing Pantilimon and Figueirido on perm deals.

I'll be amazed if they don't finish top six, or if Derby finish above them.

Derby didn't overachieve last season... We finished 6 th because of the quality of our defence and the fact that our strikers scored goals. Would have finished higher if we had a midfield too.

You've just got to remember when arguing with Bris that he really couldn't give a duck what Derby do or don't do, so you have to remove any bias/emotion from your own posts too.

The likelihood is that he's spent far more time analysing other team's squads/signings/managers than you have, afterall he's making a living (seemingly a very good one) from writing 200 articles a week based off 2 interviews and and various twitter posts for a virtual shitrag, just like most other journalists these days.

Sometimes he gets somewhat unfair poo because he's giving an unbiased viewpoint, sometimes he responds to that with a load of arrogant balls. In this instance I think he's being an attention seeking drama queen but also outlining and underlying truth, whilst also being an arrogant tit!

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Derby didn't overachieve last season... We finished 6 th because of the quality of our defence and the fact that our strikers scored goals. Would have finished higher if we had a midfield too.

Derby certainly did overachieve last season. Didn’t you watch us play? I lost count of the amount of times we walked away from the game thinking ‘how did we pull that off?’

Our strikers were at their most clinical last season. Way above the average in terms of goals vs chances created.

Defensively we were very solid, largely aided by the way we set up. If we play more open this season, we’re going to be exposed more and teams will have more space when attacking.

Carson had arguably his best season ever, while there were loads of times where the opposition missed a sitter which would have changed the game completely. 

I don’t remember many games at all where we walked away looking like the better team. Every game seemed to be a huge battle and effort. 

From February onwards we went on midtable form, with some of our wins like Preston away being nothing short of daylight robbery.

8 hours ago, McLovin said:

He made some good points and it’s hard to really properly disagree with them to be honest. People probably just read the title of the thread and got their knickers in a twist without reading the content itself. I quite enjoy reading Bris’ content. He may appear to be ‘controversial’ but he was right about Pearson, Rowett and a few others. It’s worth noting that he isn’t criticising Lampard himself, but the unbalanced squad left behind ,as you said, due to them suiting different styles and tactics. 

Players like Johnson were never going to suit high energy, controlled possession football 

Maybe had this topic appeared AFTER the transfer window had closed it may have been viewed a little differently. But it was created on July 12th, almost a full month before the main window closes, plus a couple more weeks for loans.

When would the best time be to give the final assessment of our squad  for the upcoming season and deciding if we should even bother to turn up, before we've even started making changes or after the window shuts?

PistoldPete2
9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Derby certainly did overachieve last season. Didn’t you watch us play? I lost count of the amount of times we walked away from the game thinking ‘how did we pull that off?’

Our strikers were at their most clinical last season. Way above the average in terms of goals vs chances created.

Defensively we were very solid, largely aided by the way we set up. If we play more open this season, we’re going to be exposed more and teams will have more space when attacking.

Carson had arguably his best season ever, while there were loads of times where the opposition missed a sitter which would have changed the game completely. 

I don’t remember many games at all where we walked away looking like the better team. Every game seemed to be a huge battle and effort. 

From February onwards we went on midtable form, with some of our wins like Preston away being nothing short of daylight robbery.

So basically what I said. We won games because of our strikers and our defence not because of our midfield keeping possession or creating chances. So keep the same defence and attack, but improve the midfield and wide players sounds like a good plan to me, and frankie has certainly done that with these two signings. 

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

Ftfy

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

So basically what I said. We won games because of our strikers and our defence not because of our midfield keeping possession or creating chances. So keep the same defence and attack, but improve the midfield and wide players sounds like a good plan to me, and frankie has certainly done that with these two signings. 

The counter argument being that football isn’t that simple

I think it’s way too soon to make judgements on our squad’s strength relative to other teams in the league, either positively or negatively.

For one, there has been very little movement and squads are still taking shape.

But what I will say is that Frank has set the bar really high so far with two exciting young players coming in on loan, but there is definitely more work to be done and he obviously has to get the blend right, which is the most challenging part.

But I think Bris’ confidence in Forest is just purely to get a rise out of people. The majority of their signings are complete unknowns with a lot of reported potential but very little actual output.

Mount, at least, has played first team football to a good standard and had an award-winning season in a good foreign league and as well, he is considered to be a top future prospect for club and country. But his club is Chelsea and his country is England.

You have to wonder if Mount was Spanish, played for Valencia and we’d just spent £10 million on him, would Bris be saying our signings are no world beaters then...

Meh. Attention seeking guff.

Let's see how the squad looks in a month. Always helps a tad to know who is here and who's not before making any kind of vaguely worthwhile assessment. The return of Martin, Bryson and a hopefully rejuvenated Butterfield. the emergence of our U23's and the addition of two of the most sought after loanees in the division really ought to bolster a side that made the play-offs last season without any of the above. Suggesting otherwise is pretty lame in my eyes. No guarantees obviously, but on paper we definitely look a more potent unit than last season so I'd be more than hopeful we could repeat the feat. 

15 hours ago, Coconut said:

You've just got to remember when arguing with Bris that he really couldn't give a duck what Derby do or don't do, so you have to remove any bias/emotion from your own posts too.

The likelihood is that he's spent far more time analysing other team's squads/signings/managers than you have, afterall he's making a living (seemingly a very good one) from writing 200 articles a week based off 2 interviews and and various twitter posts for a virtual shitrag, just like most other journalists these days.

Sometimes he gets somewhat unfair poo because he's giving an unbiased viewpoint, sometimes he responds to that with a load of arrogant balls. In this instance I think he's being an attention seeking drama queen but also outlining and underlying truth, whilst also being an arrogant tit!

i blame the x box 

Archived