Sell to buy?

northantsram

With Carson rumoured to be a target for Brighton...

got me thinking about what fans in general would make if we sold him.

The reason why I'm making this specifically about Carson is I feel there's not many other players fans would be genuinely annoyed about selling.

is there any other players you would hate to see leave?

If he does leave  would it sweeten the blow if the money raised meant we could sign a solid replacement and someone like Jack Marriot ? 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every player has their price.

Hughes and Carson are the only ones I hold on very high respect from our current team, but enough money and off they go. Sell when the price is high is always the good business method.

1 minute ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Hughes ? Hasn't he gone 

No one is so stupid that would sell him, surely?

Also, the amount they paid sounds more like a season-long loan.

Oh, how I miss him. ?

I agree. Every player has their price and if SC said he wanted to go then fair enough, but sounds like he's happy so his price would have to be stupidly high, basicaly we'd have to rip them off. 

In general I'm happy for most to go, obviously I'd love it to be Butterfield and Blackman but can only sell who people want to buy. Clear some room and some wages, collect some fees even if small ones then build round what we have with what we can then afford 

24 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Every player has their price.

Hughes and Carson are the only ones I hold on very high respect from our current team, but enough money and off they go. Sell when the price is high is always the good business method.

some clubs have done this very well over the years.. sold off players for a top price and brought on decent replacements on a much lower deal ... derby haven't done this for years tbh we always been the ones getting ripped off.

Almost Every player has their price and Carson is not different. That price, if the player is happy and we have no need to sell, us the amount needed to replace them with equal quality and have money left over imo. We’d never get that sort of fee for Carson, so we shouldn’t sell him. Simple

20 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

I agree. Every player has their price and if SC said he wanted to go then fair enough, but sounds like he's happy so his price would have to be stupidly high, basicaly we'd have to rip them off. 

In general I'm happy for most to go, obviously I'd love it to be Butterfield and Blackman but can only sell who people want to buy. Clear some room and some wages, collect some fees even if small ones then build round what we have with what we can then afford 

I get why you would say this, but who knows just how they will perform under a new manager?

All players respond in different ways to a new way of thinking. Some will thrive when they haven't shown anything, others will not perform when they have been outstanding. Personality clashes, played in wrong positions. So you can lambaste players based on what has been. As Lampard has said 'Everyone gets a new start' and all that. (Wage bill might dictate in the end)

We can surmise as long as we want but the coach and management will decide what is best for Derby. 

Scott Carson is a great keeper at this level - if not the best in the league. I wouldn't want to see him leave however, If we pushed Brighton for 5 million (or more) i couldn't complain at the sale. he's 32 turning 33 this season, Surely a sum of 5-7 million would be good business, not many old keepers go for that much. Just read on Twitter that @BBCDerbySport believe that "Brighton could be about to make a serious play for Derby keeper Scott Carson" - Tweeted 58 mins ago.

The player is probably happy - he lives in Lichfield, has three kids (at school), him and his wife has just opened a fitness shop in their home area etc.

I also don't see Brighton selling Matty Ryan so not sure why this one has come about?

Carson may be at an age now where money isn't a deciding factor for him and happiness is.

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

The player is probably happy - he lives in Lichfield, has three kids (at school), him and his wife has just opened a fitness shop in their home area etc.

I also don't see Brighton selling Matty Ryan so not sure why this one has come about?

Carson may be at an age now where money isn't a deciding factor for him and happiness is.

My wife would say the exact opposite. ?

10 minutes ago, rammieib said:

He is a 32 year old man not in the twilight of his life ?

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Wouldn’t want to see 

Carson, Davies, Wisdom, Thomas or Lawrence go 

Any others can go

Wow. Lawrence? Prancing pony can do one. Inconsistent and mardy  

And Hudds is so under rated it’s scary. He’s the heartbeat of our team and doesn’t get anything like the credit he deserves.

A 32 year old keeper is not old by any stretch. I don’t think we’ll sell unless he really wants to go. 

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Wouldn’t want to see 

Carson, Davies, Wisdom, Thomas or Lawrence go 

Any others can go

Carson £5-10 million Davies £4-5 million Wisdom £5 million Thomas £3-5 million Lawrence £10 million - I would sell them in a flash and so would Derby 

Archived