What did you most get wrong about Derby signings?

Bob The Badger

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I thought Albentosa would be an absolute class above the rest. 

Absolute comedy of errors, that signing. 

It was almost as if, despite the fact he was the totally opposite type of centre-half to what we needed, that he was too cheap to turn down. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised when

Washed out has-been Francis Lee was signed!

Hugely unpopular and would never reach his full potential Charlie George joined Derby.

Brian Clough bought the unknown Archie Gemmill from Preston.

Derek Hales was signed as a totally unproven goal-scorer at top level.

One out of four is not too bad.

I know my football!*

It's in the garage and I've not pumped it up in years!?

1 hour ago, steve brummie said:

I was surprised when

Washed out has-been Francis Lee was signed!

Hugely unpopular and would never reach his full potential Charlie George joined Derby.

Brian Clough bought the unknown Archie Gemmill from Preston.

Derek Hales was signed as a totally unproven goal-scorer at top level.

One out of four is not too bad.

I know my football!*

It's in the garage and I've not pumped it up in years!?

I was at the Preston FA Cup game where everybody came away buzzing about how good Gemmill was in running the midfield against us. I was only a nipper at the time, but most people I knew were excited about that signing.

I was pumped with Hales joining us but I *think* the only game he shone in was a League Cup game against Blackpool if I'm not mistaken.

One of those classic lower division players who shone at that level, but couldn't quite make the step up to the top level a bit like Phil Gee, and it pains me to say it because I loved the guy, but Bobby Davison too.

A good friend of mine called me when we signed Nick Blackman to say he had seen a lot of him and we had just pulled of a major coup adding he was the best striker in the division . DOH !! . I still quote him  to make him cringe if i bump into him 

Kaźmierczak.

26 year old, Polish international, looked superb on this new website called YouTube. Let’s go get him!

I echoed our scouting report on him. He couldn’t polish Robbie Savages boots in the end ?

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

I thought Wanchope was going to be pants yet I got excited by watching one you tube video of Abdoul Camara??.

I find that hard to believe... Razza is the only player i've seen that looks as bad on YouTube as he does in real life.

25 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Didn't we have the entire Scotland midfield for a brief spell of time with Masson, Ricoh And Archie?

Don’t think Masson played in the same team as Rioch. Was he here during Archie’s second period  with us maybe?

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Don’t think Masson played in the same team as Rioch. Was he here during Archie’s second period  with us maybe?

He played one season for us . 1977/78 which was also Rioch's unfortunate second spell with us.

Can't believe they both started Scotland's first game in the World Cup v Peru as they had both had a poor season.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

They were all available to play together in 1978, but never all appeared together at the same time  according to my trusty 'Derby County - The Complete Record'

So I was wrong.

I think in hindsight, I was just excited about the idea rather than the results or achieved. 

A bit like sex with me from 1981 onwards.

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

They were all available to play together in 1978, but never all appeared together at the same time  according to my trusty 'Derby County - The Complete Record'

I'd be surprised....i thought Daly, Rioch and Masson all played together.

Archived