What did you most get wrong about Derby signings?

Bob The Badger

What decision that the, then current manager took that you vehemently disagreed with turned out to be wrong?

Here are some occasions I totally blew it.

You're buying a fat, unfit has-been called Francis Lee?

Oops, but shortly followed up by:

Why on earth would we want the guy that gave two-fingers to the Pop Side in Charlie George and is a prima donna?

Only along with Toddy, the greatest player I have ever seen wear a Rams shirt. 

Peter Shilton? Come on man he went to school with my dad.

Best Rams keeper in my life time by some margin.

Seriously, you're selling Kevin Wilson when he's on fire Cox? Are you insane?

Nope, he's bringing in players like Micklewhite and Goddard who will get us up.

Paul McGrath? The guy can hardly walk.

Other than walk in front of players with twice his pace and take the ball off them without them even noticing.

Mick Coop?? Seriously, Mick fricken Coop? Mick Coop?

Mick Coop?

His name is a place to store pigeons. What more do you need to know?

I got one right.

Over to you!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

What decision that the, then current manager took that you vehemently disagreed with turned out to be wrong?

Here are some occasions I totally blew it.

You're buying a fat, unfit has-been called Francis Lee?

Oops, but shortly followed up by:

Why on earth would we want the guy that gave two-fingers to the Pop Side in Charlie George and is a prima donna?

Only along with Toddy, the greatest player I have ever seen wear a Rams shirt. 

Peter Shilton? Come on man he went to school with my dad.

Best Rams keeper in my life time by some margin.

Seriously, you're selling Kevin Wilson when he's on fire Cox? Are you insane?

Nope, he's bringing in players like Micklewhite and Goddard who will get us up.

Paul McGrath? The guy can hardly walk.

Other than walk in front of players with twice his pace and take the ball off them without them even noticing.

Mick Coop?? Seriously, Mick fricken Coop? Mick Coop?

Mick Coop?

His name is a place to store pigeons. What more do you need to know?

I got one right.

Over to you!

We're you scouting for us under Clement?

Chris Martin's loan spell under Clough before we signed him.

Looked a classic example of a journeyman & I just knew Cloughie would sign him

Next two seasons he was outstanding.

Going further back watching Bjorn Otto Bragstaad playing so well for Norway in Euro 2000.

He'll be fantastic I thought - oops

I was excited by the marquee signing of Francois Grenet, of whom Colin Todd assured us "the only reason he is not part of the senior French squad is the fact that Lilian Thuram is in that position".

Absolute gash.

Tyson is always my go to for confessionals but as Curtains nicked him let me throw this out there....I thought Jewell was going to save us. Then he signed Robbie Savage and I came to my senses. 

More recent one would be Jacob Butterfield, I try not to raise expectations too high, allow for that general excitement buffer, but fair to say he has been a huge disappointment. 

Feels a bit naughty still being a Derby player and I still maintain he is a decent player, just hasn’t been a right fit for him but that could change under Frank, have to see

27 minutes ago, David said:

Tyson is always my go to for confessionals but as Curtains nicked him let me throw this out there....I thought Jewell was going to save us. Then he signed Robbie Savage and I came to my senses. 

More recent one would be Jacob Butterfield, I try not to raise expectations too high, allow for that general excitement buffer but fair to say he has been a huge disappointment. 

Feels a bit naughty still being a Derby player and I still maintain he is a decent player, just hasn’t been a right fit for him but that could change under Frank, have to see

Butterfield was class in his first year when played in an appropriate area of the pitch. I’m still expecting him to move on, sometimes a fresh start is needed. But maybe Frank will rate him?

In terms of the original topic - it has to be Chris Martin for me. I had heard and read only bad, bad reviews and he’d not really achieved much up to us recruiting him. I saw it as a bizarre move. I was very wrong. I still yearn for CM in his pomp. But like JB, it seems his form has deserted him.

2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I thought it was madness to sign John Brayford, a mainstay of the Crewe defence who'd just conceded 74 goals in League Two. 

Brings back memories that name does

00C80E08-969E-44C2-85CF-C6C07D01AB7F.jpeg

A1D063CA-7F90-4918-90AD-A31179D3A7C2.jpeg

Archived