What did you most get wrong about Derby signings?

Bob The Badger

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'd be surprised....i thought Daly, Rioch and Masson all played together.

Yep, they did indeed.

Rioch and Masson played together for a number of games, but Archie only played 4 games right at the tail end and by then neither of the other 2 were in the team.

BTW, what an incredible player Gerry Daly was - so underrated imho.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My list of shame is pretty comprehensive - here's one from every year since we were relegated:

Kazmierczak - 08/09 - I, like many others, fell fool to his international & champions league roots. Not to mention his Youtube videos. Ellington comes a close second for that year, based on his form at Wigan.

Buxton - 09/10 - I was absolutely baffled when we signed him, but he eventually became one of my favourite players in the clubs history. It would have been amazing to see us promoted with him in the team, but it wasn't to be. 

Bueno - 10/11 - It was difficult not to get excited by the former Real Madrid first team player, but despite glimpses of promise he was simply ineffective. I'd probably still have him back, despite knowing I should know better.

Tyson - 11/12 - I guess it stopped his yearly tear up of our right back. Injured & erratic. 

Keogh - 12/13 - I was gutted to lose Shackell and couldn't see Keogh stepping up. He's been here ever since & in that time has won POTY twice & run it close pretty much on every other occasion. 

Martin - 13/14 - I was very unimpressed with his loan spell. I was underwhelmed when we signed him, but for my money he's been our best striker for the last decade - well at least at the height of his career here.

Thorne - 14/15 - I have never been so impressed by a player in a loan spell. He had a 10-15 game period where he performed better than any player I have seen (and remember) in a Derby shirt. I was on holiday during the 'negotiations' and I was glued to my phone hoping that the news would filter through he had signed. Unfortunately, he got injured less than a month after & has struggled to find fitness and form since. I still remember those days. I hold on hope.

Carson - 15/16 - We signed a keeper who had just been relegated to League One. He wasn't even a guaranteed starter for Wigan. Wigan fans didn't really rate him. He cost next to nothing. He is now known, by pretty much everyone, as the best keeper the club's had since Poom. Mental. 

Wilson - 16/17 - I expected more from him. He eventually got injured and was sent back. You could be forgiven for forgetting he ever played for us.

Winnall - 17/18 - None of them actually surprised, one way or another too much. Winnall was a relatively nice surprise, it's just a shame he got injured.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

My list of shame is pretty comprehensive - here's one from every year since we were relegated:

Kazmierczak - 08/09 - I, like many others, fell fool to his international & champions league roots. Not to mention his Youtube videos. Ellington comes a close second for that year, based on his form at Wigan.

Buxton - 09/10 - I was absolutely baffled when we signed him, but he eventually became one of my favourite players in the clubs history. It would have been amazing to see us promoted with him in the team, but it wasn't to be. 

Bueno - 10/11 - It was difficult not to get excited by the former Real Madrid first team player, but despite glimpses of promise he was simply ineffective. I'd probably still have him back, despite knowing I should know better.

Tyson - 11/12 - I guess it stopped his yearly tear up of our right back. Injured & erratic. 

Keogh - 12/13 - I was gutted to lose Shackell and couldn't see Keogh stepping up. He's been here ever since & in that time has won POTY twice & run it close pretty much on every other occasion. 

Martin - 13/14 - I was very unimpressed with his loan spell. I was underwhelmed when we signed him, but for my money he's been our best striker for the last decade - well at least at the height of his career here.

Thorne - 14/15 - I have never been so impressed by a player in a loan spell. He had a 10-15 game period where he performed better than any player I have seen (and remember) in a Derby shirt. I was on holiday during the 'negotiations' and I was glued to my phone hoping that the news would filter through he had signed. Unfortunately, he got injured less than a month after & has struggled to find fitness and form since. I still remember those days. I hold on hope.

Carson - 15/16 - We signed a keeper who had just been relegated to League One. He wasn't even a guaranteed starter for Wigan. Wigan fans didn't really rate him. He cost next to nothing. He is now known, by pretty much everyone, as the best keeper the club's had since Poom. Mental. 

Wilson - 16/17 - I expected more from him. He eventually got injured and was sent back. You could be forgiven for forgetting he ever played for us.

Winnall - 17/18 - None of them actually surprised, one way or another too much. Winnall was a relatively nice surprise, it's just a shame he got injured.

What a great post. ?

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Thorne had a decent season the season he had his leg broken.

Still dont think he was as bad as people made out last season, still feel it was how the team was set up that made him look worse.

Sith Happens

Cywka.

Great in his loan period, resulting in chants of sign him up. Superb for 'that spell' under clough where commons, bueno and him ripped people apart (along with kuqi - why didnt we didnt we sign him?). Then his career slowly spiralled downwards..dont know where he is now but must still be fairly young.

40 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Cywka.

Great in his loan period, resulting in chants of sign him up. Superb for 'that spell' under clough where commons, bueno and him ripped people apart (along with kuqi - why didnt we didnt we sign him?). Then his career slowly spiralled downwards..dont know where he is now but must still be fairly young.

Back home in Poland for Wiszla Kracow, Not first choice last season he is now 29.

That probably means he will just old enough to buy him back next season!

14 minutes ago, ONEPIEGON said:

Back home in Poland for Wiszla Kracow, Not first choice last season he is now 29.

That probably means he will just old enough to buy him back next season!

So, what you are saying is that he’s ‘back from wherever he came from’?

I can only assume it’s because he didn’t track back against Portsmouth all those years ago. Clough was right. 

Main ones are Vydra who I thought was a waste of money and blamed him for all our woes. Fair to say he proved me wrong.

Was also telling everyone that signing this Estonian lad called Poom was daft as he couldn't get games for Portsmouth previously. Even in my self-appointed role of all all things goalkeeper I had neglected to realise that it was work permit problems that led to him not playing for them. Now the second best keeper I have ever seen for the Rams and we've had some good ones.

Other way on, I was convinced that Ellington would fire us back up, there is literally no excuse for that.

Archived