Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

EI’ll happily be proven wrong but I think people need to get a grip... we talk about not churning over the same dross that have hit their peak but when we are actually rumoured to be chasing an up and coming player from lower leagues people turn their nose up.

I get highlights are exactly that, highlights and they don’t always reflect their full performance/game. Particularly pacy wingers, strikers and defenders because it’s normally just them taking players on, scoring tap ins and  the odd crunching challenge respectively. We’ve all seen rubbish players at Pp in each of those positions who could string together a 2 minute video but offer little over the course of a whole season.

Likewise with stats... assists could be bundled in to a clinical striker or goals where they can be just a series of tap ins and penalties.

What wows me about Maddison is the fact he

a) has done it so consistently only one division below.

b) he doesn’t seem to be one dimensional and there are some real pieces of quality some of our players couldn’t dream of pulling off. Crosses, moving the ball at pace and most impressively the inch perfect long range passes instinctive passes. 

c) He’s a winger who can actually cross, look at the highlights the assists he’s made from crosses are near enough pin perfect. I haven’t seen Weimann, Russell and co deliver one in a season let alone resulting in a goal. (Marriott isn’t a towering striker either!)

When was the last player who we actually played offensively who could deliver huddlestone/Hughes style passing who played in a position where those passes were a threat in the final third not our half!

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

EI’ll happily be proven wrong but I think people need to get a grip... we talk about not churning over the same dross that have hit their peak but when we are actually rumoured to be chasing an up and coming player from lower leagues people turn their nose up.

There are other options between that though...

I agree getting older players who either a) haven't cut it or b) are dropping down a level from the premier league is bad - But picking up 22/23 year olds from top academies who haven't made the first team but will have a hunger to prove themselves is a good idea

Buying players from the lower leagues is a risk - Good money on a player who has never played at this level? There are LOADS of players who look good at one level and average as hell a level above - Ben Pringle was very highly rated in League One after we got rid of him - The other option is we have young players who have been in/around the first team the last couple of years, know the quality expected of them and some have even had game time - Why not try Bennett/Gorden/Thomas before splashing money on a different unproven player?

Just putting options out there - I don't think we need any more 'experience' in the squad, so I'm all for bringing in youth - But at the same time "hungry" is not better than "quality" in a player (look at our Bradley) - We need quality additions to the squad for the long term now - Not sure the size of our squad can accommodate risky punts from the lower leagues

6 minutes ago, wingfieldram said:

That still annoys me. Was it 1.5m that he went for?.

I may have been putting 2 and 2 together to make 79 but didn't Mel say we were in for a lower league player who was basically worth X amount to most clubs but when Derby County came calling it was twice the price?  For some reason I imagined it being him after all the links we had to him. Does seem a shame we missed out on him but we don't know the circumstances to be getting too wound up about it. 

22 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I may have been putting 2 and 2 together to make 79 but didn't Mel say we were in for a lower league player who was basically worth X amount to most clubs but when Derby County came calling it was twice the price?  For some reason I imagined it being him after all the links we had to him. Does seem a shame we missed out on him but we don't know the circumstances to be getting too wound up about it. 

This.

I think this was the player alluded too also.

A bargain perhaps at 1.8m, but worth a swerve at the price we were quoted.

15 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Well we should have signed Ollie Watkins from League 2 Exeter, now doing very well at Brentford.

I happen to agree with you but Olly was the div's player of the year and went for £1.8 mill. I don't think too many folks think Maddison and Marriot could benefit the team I think the pause for thought is around the pricing with the pair costing @£10 million. My view is that Maddison is far better value than Marriott, for all it's worth.

12 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

We were quoted £4.5 mill and he was sold to Brentford for £1.8, so I'd say both you and Mel have got it right ?

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

If he’s that Good then why hasn’t anyone signed him for the price they are asking or is he just vastly over priced?

I think clubs are aware of the gamble with him, the step up is harder than people make out. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

I think clubs are aware of the gamble with him, the step up is harder than people make out. 

We have had plenty of league one and reserve team wingers who have hardly had a game - serious gamble if we take it on 

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We have had plenty of league one and reserve team wingers who have hardly had a game - serious gamble if we take it on 

Still though, about time we did that as opposed to completely overspending on bang average players with high wages.

48 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

Still though, about time we did that as opposed to completely overspending on bang average players with high wages.

Also - I'd look at whether we're really talking about bang average - We've got a squad full of top 6 players - They're only average by our own decent standard now - They aren't average in the league - I would imagine most of our players would get into top-half sides in the league

Unless we think Rowett had every player over-performing last season? Our style of play didn't warrant a top 6 finish for me - But I'm noit convinced he got the best out of that squad last year

39 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

The worry would again be that it may be happening again ?

Agreed - Big fee for lower league player is as much a risk as big wages on an ex-premier league player

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He's ruled out Leeds and Forest previously, too. I think it might actually be us. Or villa ?

The villa with HMRC on top of them ? I think they would get a bit suspicious if Villa spent money on players rather than their tax bill. 2nd bill incoming in the next few days too!

Wait is Marcus Maddison the one we want or Jack Marriott?

I know we've been linked with both but I can't recall which one folks settled on as being the better player.

Archived