Most Overrated Bands of all Time

Hathersage Ram

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Psychedelia was hardly unique to the Beatles. Sgt Pepper was recorded at the same time as Piper, but Floyd went much further in experimenting beyond the confines of three minute song structures into the avant garde, utilising different sounds and rhythms. Again, if we're talking musicianship, someone like Miles Davis was in a different league. 

I love Miles Davis but you're continually moving the goal posts.

Tomorrow Never Knows wasn't just psychedelia and to suggest otherwise shows your total ignorance. 

They did things with Lennon's voice, the drum patterns and the reversal of guitar that had never been done before.

As I said, the Chemical Brothers made a living off copying it.

just because Miles Davis was amazing takes nothing away from The Beatles and it's a straw man argument. 

For every lame article from some parochial news source looking to create a name you mention, I can find 10 from people who know music.

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Would now be a good time to mention that in 1994, on a very small Greek island, Claire Grogan plus "friend" were sunbathing nude at the end of the small beach our party were on.........shall I pass the Kleenex? ?

Pictures or it didn't happen ?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Tomorrow Never Knows wasn't just psychedelia and to suggest otherwise shows your total ignorance. 

Pointing out that there were far more innovative and talented musicians around than your favourite, overhyped boy band is hardly 'total ignorance'.

Probably the only criteria for considering something overrated is that some people make grandiose claims for it whilst others remain unimpressed.

That seems to have been admirably demonstrated in this very discussion. 

4 hours ago, mozza said:

The Beatles are the best group ever to have lived, no-one has ever been close to what they achieved, in one hundred years time they will still be played and enjoyed, can't say that about many others. There, i've said it.. 

I do tend to agree with you, but some of the utter dross churned out by Paul McCartney (Mull of Kintyre, Silly Love Songs, Let Em In, Ebony and Ivory) does make you wonder sometimes.

4 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Psychedelia was hardly unique to the Beatles. Sgt Pepper was recorded at the same time as Piper, but Floyd went much further in experimenting beyond the confines of three minute song structures into the avant garde, utilising different sounds and rhythms. Again, if we're talking musicianship, someone like Miles Davis was in a different league.

Tony Williams, the great drummer in the 1964 Miles Davis Quintet featuring Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and Ron Carter, plays a Beatles tune.

I'm not sure if I've made a contribution to this thread already, but if not here goes.

Metallica

Led Zeppelin

Green Day

Red hot chilli peppers ( in the words of David Quantick, if music was their aeroplane they'd have crash landed in the Andes and be eating themselves by now!).

Steely Dan

41 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Pointing out that there were far more innovative and talented musicians around than your favourite, overhyped boy band is hardly 'total ignorance'.

Probably the only criteria for considering something overrated is that some people make grandiose claims for it whilst others remain unimpressed.

That seems to have been admirably demonstrated in this very discussion. 

They're not even remotely close to being my favorite band. I doubt they are even in my top 20, so you lose a lot of credibility there by making that assumption.

I admire them from a musical standpoint and for what they did as a band and then went on to do individually way past your ridiculous 1970 comment.

And the way you resorted to saying 'your favorite overhyped boy band' that suggests a) you know they are a favorite band of mine when they aren't even close and b) insulting them by calling them a boy band is petty and beneath you from what I have previously read.

I get that you don't like them, and that is valid, but you haven't come up with a remotely credible argument to suggest they are overrated other than to name some other artists that just happened to live longer.

PistoldPete2
6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

They're not even remotely close to being my favorite band. I doubt they are even in my top 20, so you lose a lot of credibility there by making that assumption.

I admire them from a musical standpoint and for what they did as a band and then went on to do individually way past your ridiculous 1970 comment.

And the way you resorted to saying 'your favorite overhyped boy band' that suggests a) you know they are a favorite band of mine when they aren't even close and b) insulting them by calling them a boy band is petty and beneath you from what I have previously read.

I get that you don't like them, and that is valid, but you haven't come up with a remotely credible argument to suggest they are overrated other than to name some other artists that just happened to live longer.

The fact that the Beates in their early years had hordes of screaming girl fans would be a turn off for most blokes . How many blokes would admit to liking Take That... Not good for the male machismo. So the Beatles popularity with blokes is probably in spite of the mania thing not because of it. The Beatles would top most polls as the best band ever so by definition they will be classed as over-rated by those who don't rate them as the best.

anyway, over-rated bands? U2. 

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Or the dross on the white album

Helter skelter, dear prudence, yer blues, revolution etc . Hardly dross . 

Archived