Most Overrated Bands of all Time

Hathersage Ram

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the thread where I can like a band that none of you have ever heard of, and cry down anything that everyone ever liked?

On 13/06/2018 at 22:29, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did anyone go to see Robert Plant at the The blue note on Sadler Gate in the 80's.  Odd to think of someone that big playing to 200 people a couple of years after playing at Madison square garden  

I think I can beat that.

I went to see Richie Havens in Dublin back in the early/mid 2000s at a pub called Whelans.

Richie Havens opened Woodstock in front of half a million people.

DCFCFans Most Overrated bands

is now the name of a playlist on Spotify... get it on and listen to some of the best and worst there is to offer..

i have got 1 song from every band mentioned on this thread so far on it, some amazing songs too....64 so far.!

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

is now the name of a playlist on Spotify... get it on and listen to some of the best and worst there is to offer..

i have got 1 song from every band mentioned on this thread so far on it, some amazing songs too....64 so far.!

Any Beatles??

5 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

We were obviously not teenagers at the same time. All I will say is that, along with Claire Grogan, I thought about her quite a lot as I lay in my bed during those times. It actually was quite an emotional experience, so much so that I always needed to make sure I had a box of tissues on the bedside table.

Hay fever?

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

We probably need a DCFC most overrated fans thread. 

55 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Green Day

Yes. Green Day were fine as an inoffensive pop punk outfit, but all the self satisfied bluster that came with American Idiot and onwards is embarrassing. Yeah guys, you're real rebels, sticking it to the man whilst signed to a major record label and charging your pre-pubescent fans £50 to see you caked in make up in a vain attempt to conceal the fact that you're ancient even though you dress like edgy sixth formers.

I just saw an advert for the Isle of Wight festival. The 50th anniversary of the first. The headliners have, apparently, 'never been bigger'. This is a festival that has been headlined by Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney, the Stones, The Who, David Bowie and Bruce Springsteen over the years.

Who could this year's be to be bigger than them? Kasabian and Depeche Mode. Now that's overrated.

Coldplay probably the most overrated - modern consumers seem to confuse not disliking something with actually liking it when its a very different thing. In the end mediocrity like Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith etc. shift mass volumes almost out of apathy.

Boy bands are always hype over talent - Westlife the worst of the bunch. 

Hate ABBA - they are nothing more than a symbol of nostalgia for an era. Similarly I love the 80s music I grew up on but innocuous trash like Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, neon and leg warmers are highlighted as the image of a decade for whatever reason. Like ABBA all a tailored image to the hen night crowd. 

On 13/06/2018 at 22:29, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did anyone go to see Robert Plant at the The blue note on Sadler Gate in the 80's.  Odd to think of someone that big playing to 200 people a couple of years after playing at Madison square garden  

Superb night. One of my favourite gigs ever, with his mates playing blues. The Honeydrippers I think. He barely needed a mike. Not long after John Bonham died. We chanced tickets in RECords , part of the match day ritual.

Turns out that the most over-rated bands in history are the biggest bands in the genres we personally don't like.

I think Pink Floyd are amazing. Give me a quiet evening, and the chance to skin up on the sleeve of DSotM or The Wall or Animals and I'm in heaven. It last happened about 15 years ago. I can also see why people hate them. Pretentious, self indulgent...

I think the Beatles were OK, great in places, but in the context of their reputation that puts them as over-rated. Put them in the context of the time though and you can see why people think they were top notch. Ground breaking, original...

That comment aside...the most over-rated band in history are U2.

41 minutes ago, needles said:

Turns out that the most over-rated bands in history are the biggest bands in the genres we personally don't like.

I think Pink Floyd are amazing. Give me a quiet evening, and the chance to skin up on the sleeve of DSotM or The Wall or Animals and I'm in heaven. It last happened about 15 years ago. I can also see why people hate them. Pretentious, self indulgent...

I think the Beatles were OK, great in places, but in the context of their reputation that puts them as over-rated. Put them in the context of the time though and you can see why people think they were top notch. Ground breaking, original...

That comment aside...the most over-rated band in history are U2.

dsotm is a great lp .  I agree U2 have been very one dimensional  since 2000,  but liked the Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum.  War was a fairly good lp as well. Best Beatles stuff was Rubber soul and Revolver, not Sgt Pepper. The white album the worst in my opinion  .

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:57, Rample said:

Coldplay probably the most overrated - modern consumers seem to confuse not disliking something with actually liking it when its a very different thing. In the end mediocrity like Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith etc. shift mass volumes almost out of apathy.

Boy bands are always hype over talent - Westlife the worst of the bunch. 

Hate ABBA - they are nothing more than a symbol of nostalgia for an era. Similarly I love the 80s music I grew up on but innocuous trash like Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, neon and leg warmers are highlighted as the image of a decade for whatever reason. Like ABBA all a tailored image to the hen night crowd. 

Thank god - I loathe Wake Me Up Before You Go Go more than any other song except  Stevie Wonders ' I just called to say I love you .   My older brother played this on loop when he split up with his girlfriend for about a month when I was 11-  I must have heard it 5000 time's .  It still makes me sweat .

Archived