Most Overrated Bands of all Time

Hathersage Ram

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Guns n Roses are overrated. There were two or three good songs on Appetite, but their status has more to do with the paucity of good rock bands at the time. There was nothing original about them and Axl's voice is shrill and grating. I quite like Slash, but there's nothing particularly outstanding about his playing. 

I tend to think the same about Iron Maiden too. They kind of became iconic by default. 

The Beatles?

Just super silly imho, but it shows how subjective this is, I guess .

it almost feels like you're trying to be provocative.

No band has remotely come close to what they achieved and how they changed the rules.

Name me one band that so totally transformed  themselves and still dominated music.

You may not like their music, but to call them overrated is flat out ignorant......at least to me ?

On 15/06/2018 at 09:02, Hathersage Ram said:

Meat Loaf …………… are you kidding me ….. awesome and what a performer. Seen him twice and I repeat Awesome ….. give your head a shake man !!!!

Saw him at the NEC about ten years ago and he was terrible. Out of breath for most of the show, vocally so weak and everything slowed right down. He was pretty much carried by the vocals of the woman with him who managed to blend her voiceless with his to give his songs a bit of umph. Great to see Bat out of Hell performed live though. 

PistoldPete2
On 15 June 2018 at 10:33, eddie said:

Is this the thread where I can like a band that none of you have ever heard of, and cry down anything that everyone ever liked?

I think that's the point for some people. Usually there's a reason no one has heard of a band. Age is one of those reasons.

PistoldPete2
5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

The Beatles?

Just super silly imho, but it shows how subjective this is, I guess .

it almost feels like you're trying to be provocative.

No band has remotely come close to what they achieved and how they changed the rules.

Name me one band that so totally transformed  themselves and still dominated music.

You may not like their music, but to call them overrated is flat out ignorant......at least to me ?

I can get that some people don't like the Beatles ... Preferring something more consistently Rock n roll like the stones or the who, or some thing more modern maybe. 

What I can't get is people likeing oasis but not the Beatles... Smacks of the Alan partridge line that wings were the band the Beatles could have been. Oasis are a pale imitation of the Beatles, like wings. 

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

This is why they are overrated, because people have bought the myth of this unique creative force which transformed popular music. 

They weren't and they didn't, they were just the most visible and popular band at a time when huge social changes were going on all around them. A large part of their success was down to whipping up hysteria in young audiences, hence the boy band tag. 

Elvis was more influential in bringing elements of black music into mainstream rock and roll. Dylan, as well as being a far superior song writer, did the same for folk and country music. The Byrds were a much better band. 

The Beatles, as musicians, ultimately didn't survive a brief period of over hyped success in the 60s. They weren't able to change and adapt, or develop, beyond that. Compare to someone like Neil Young, who has been producing great music for six decades. 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

This is why they are overrated, because people have bought the myth of this unique creative force which transformed popular music. 

They weren't and they didn't, they were just the most visible and popular band at a time when huge social changes were going on all around them. A large part of their success was down to whipping up hysteria in young audiences, hence the boy band tag. 

Elvis was more influential in bringing elements of black music into mainstream rock and roll. Dylan, as well as being a far superior song writer, did the same for folk and country music. The Byrds were a much better band. 

The Beatles, as musicians, ultimately didn't survive a brief period of over hyped success in the 60s. They weren't able to change and adapt, or develop, beyond that. Compare to someone like Neil Young, who has been producing great music for six decades. 

A brief period? You call 8 years a brief period?

And as musicians of course they survived way, way past the band breaking up.

Band on the Run was a brilliant album and Lennon and Harrison did kind of okay, ya know (we can forget Ringo).

All 3 went on to have number 1 singles and number 1 albums not just in the UK but around the world.

Of course Harrison and Lennon did let death get in their way of further success, so that's a black mark on their record.

Lennon and McCartney are the most covered writers in the history of music.

And the Byrds were MASSIVELY influenced by the Beatles even to the point of buying the same instruments that they were using and trying to copy their style.

And of course I don't need to add anything else to kill of your argument, but I will. I present my coup de grâce for your listening pleasure.

7 hours ago, Rample said:

Saw him at the NEC about ten years ago and he was terrible. Out of breath for most of the show, vocally so weak and everything slowed right down. He was pretty much carried by the vocals of the woman with him who managed to blend her voiceless with his to give his songs a bit of umph. Great to see Bat out of Hell performed live though. 

Saw him on Celebrity Apprentice with Trump over here 4 or 5 years ago. He veered between apoplectic rage threatening death to all around him and bursting into tears and apologizing.

Radiohead - Depressing dull guff

Arctic Monkeys - No hate, just don't get the people who love them more over bands like Kasabian.

The Beetles - A band who supposedly had amazing lyrics in their songs also have a song which repeats, "She loves you, yeah yeah yeah"

The Eagles - I've seen local bands play some Eagles tunes better than The Eagles themselves.... weird I know ?

Razorlight - Great songs but absolutely cack live

34 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Saw him on Celebrity Apprentice with Trump over here 4 or 5 years ago. He veered between apoplectic rage threatening death to all around him and bursting into tears and apologizing.

Oh I saw that (the wife loves it) he had a major kick off at Gary Busey because he thought he'd stolen a paintbrush or something, only to find he'd put it down and forgotten it. Busey was mad as a bag of spanners aswell. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

You call 8 years a brief period?

Yes. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

And as musicians of course they survived way, way past the band breaking up.

Nothing of significance produced after 1970. 

Archived