World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

In the end I am glad that France have won the final simply because of Croatia's approach to the England match where they were thugging and cheating all the way through, with a favourable amount of leniency from the match officials. The guys who scored against us shouldn't have been on the pitch by then because they should have both had two yellow cards. And it continued on today with someone in this thread asking if they were immune to yellow cards. Quite.

All sounds like a bag of grapefruits to me.

Incidentally for France's first goal, didn't Pogba compete for the ball with Mandzukic from an offside position? Why didn't VAR intervene?

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Well Platini stated it, and Petit hinted at it. Why would Platini say that about his own countr?. The footballing hierarchy exists. Not saying this is fixed but if I was a Croatian player I’d be really annoyed. The World Cup final shouldn’t be affected by a refereeing decision. This is what he said source:sky news.

”The 62-year-old former France manager was laughing as he confessed: "We did a bit of trickery. When we were organising the schedule.

"We did not spend six years organising the World Cup to not do some little shenanigans. Do you think other World Cup hosts did not?"

Comment est qu'on dit 'shenanigans' en Français?

That’s another World Cup off my list, probably the best one I’ve seen, especially after all the fears before the tournament. France were the deserved winners in the end looking at who they played in the knockout rounds. I don’t know if anyone else feels like this but this World Cup almost feels like a reset button like in the 2006 World Cup where the Ronaldinho/Zidane/Ronaldo Nazario era ended before the Cristiano Ronaldo/Messi era started. This World Cup feels like the end of the Messi/Cristiano era and the start of the Mbappe/Hazard/Neymar(despite him not showing it this World Cup) era, along with other great players like Modric, Ramos, Marcelo, Suarez and Iniesta probably not going to seen again at another World Cup.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and keeping it active as it made for interesting discussion at times. Going to take a break from football before the new season starts to reenergise myself and to keep my passion going.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That’s another World Cup off my list, probably the best one I’ve seen, especially after all the fears before the tournament. France were the deserved winners in the end looking at who they played in the knockout rounds. I don’t know if anyone else feels like this but this World Cup almost feels like a reset button like in the 2006 World Cup where the Ronaldinho/Zidane/Ronaldo Nazario era ended before the Cristiano Ronaldo/Messi era started. This World Cup feels like the end of the Messi/Cristiano era and the start of the Mbappe/Hazard/Neymar(despite him not showing it this World Cup) era, along with other great players like Modric, Ramos, Marcelo, Suarez and Iniesta probably not going to seen again at another World Cup.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and keeping it active as it made for interesting discussion at times. Going to take a break from football before the new season starts to reenergise myself and to keep my passion going.

Nice Touch.

Hazard at 27 is probably at his peak now. That's the thing with wingers, especially ones which possess pace and close ball control, than after 28 or 29 it's all about aapting. Both Messi and Ronaldo have adapted their games.

I guess as pace slows and you can't run around as much, you start to then play inside. It'll be interesting to see how good Mbappe and Hazard become or how influential they are when are forced to adapt.

I think that's the difference between a world class player and an all-time great. Being able to adapt.

Definitely feels like an end of an era, or a beginning of a new one. 

Interesting thinking about Neymar too. Did he arrive at the wrong time? Arrived in an era with Messi and Ronaldo miles ahead, and now you have MBappe coming through. Neymar will be 30 at the next World Cup. 

PistoldPete2
49 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Easy win for France. Definitely penalty. The best team In the competition. 

Haha! Is that a joke? France may have been the best team in the competition but the first two statements are very untrue.

52 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Going to take a break from football before the new season starts to reenergise myself and to keep my passion going.

Think how energised and passionate you could become if you extended your break to the World Cup qualifiers.

Sith Happens
19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Think how energised and passionate you could become if you extended your break to the World Cup qatar.

Ftfy 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

vos compétences de traduction google ne sont pas les meilleurs mon ami ?

La derniére fois que j'ai etudié la langue Française était 1968 á l'école. Ma memoire n'est pas trop mal apres cinquant années hein?

Google n'est que pour les langues que je n'ai jamais appris.

Je ne souviens jamais avoir appris le mot 'manigances'.

Voilà pourquoi il fault porter une dictionnaire, ou bien un iPad!

2 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Haha! Is that a joke? France may have been the best team in the competition but the first two statements are very untrue.

I thought it really was easy for France. 

They kept Modric silent and pretty much cruises to victory. The mistake by Loris (he does one a game) made the score line flatter Croatia. 

PistoldPete2
16 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I thought it really was easy for France. 

They kept Modric silent and pretty much cruises to victory. The mistake by Loris (he does one a game) made the score line flatter Croatia. 

They had two goals in the first half gifted in the first half by refereeing decisions.That made it's easier in the 2nd half when France did actually score legitimate goals.

re the var decision here is the bbc explanation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44841143

so the ref got it right then over ruled himself and got it wrong.

So what did everyone make of the World Cup?

England's run aside I can't say it's one that will live long in my memory. 

Can't really think back to many games that got me on the edge of my seat...maybe Spain v Portugal, France v Argies and Belgium v Japan.

No real standout players.

Very few goals that will be replayed over and over.

VAR pretty much a joke. A good idea in principle but not clearly thought through. Should not be using the World Cup as a guinea pig for a system that's still in its infancy. The fact that it was incorrectly used in the final sums it up.

Only 4 red cards despite most penalty boxes looking more like a wrestling ring than a football pitch at set pieces. 

Strip back the hysteria caused by Englands run and I have to say it was pretty average with most excitement created by run of the mill underdogs upsetting the supposed bigger teams.

Didn't watch a lot of it, but the best team won. 

I love Mbappe. 

Unlike the majority, i was disappointed with England. We didn't have the depth of squad to rotate or change. The blend in midfield was unable to control the game. Grealish instead of Alli would have helped but that won't happen until he's a regular in the Prem. When push came to shove we flopped again. 

Trippier was the star for us. He really emerged. Pickford too. Maguire enhanced his reputation; but we were well short in the end.

All in all. It was a decent world cup.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

So what did everyone make of the World Cup?

England's run aside I can't say it's one that will live long in my memory. 

Can't really think back to many games that got me on the edge of my seat...maybe Spain v Portugal, France v Argies and Belgium v Japan.

No real standout players.

Very few goals that will be replayed over and over.

VAR pretty much a joke. A good idea in principle but not clearly thought through. Should not be using the World Cup as a guinea pig for a system that's still in its infancy. The fact that it was incorrectly used in the final sums it up.

Only 4 red cards despite most penalty boxes looking more like a wrestling ring than a football pitch at set pieces. 

Strip back the hysteria caused by Englands run and I have to say it was pretty average with most excitement created by run of the mill underdogs upsetting the supposed bigger teams.

Really?! Throughout people were saying, ‘this is one for the ages.’ ‘I thought Spain vs Portugal might just be the best match ever, until I saw Belgium vs Japan.’

maybe there was some in the moment hysteria, and in the cold light of say it’s not as exciting as we thought at the time, but there was a very good mix of underdogs doing better than expected, big hitters getting schooled, World Cup firsts and records, the worlds best players turning it on (at least for a few minutes). What’s not to like?

even if you’re disappointed by England and think we were really just a South Korea or a turkey, fluking our way to the semi final, fine. But regardless, we scored 6 in a World Cup game for the first time, we won our first World Cup penalty shoot out, and Harry Kane won the golden boot. They’re some pretty special land marks. Even if we’d have gone out in the quarter final, and before the tournament that’s the boat anyone hoped for, and probably would’ve been the case if we hadn’t got a lucky draw with Sweden, hitting those landmarks would’ve been a good result. 

Archived