World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Are we really surprised at these decisions though? They were wrong in my opinion but Platini admitted that the 1998 draw was fixed to give France the best chance of reaching the final. France are a big nation unlike Croatia so will be naturally favoured. It’s wrong but that’s how the hierarchy works.

I hope Croatia win now because it would be a footballing injustice if France were to go on to win based on those decisions.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think the hand moved towards the ball. Right decision. 

Possibly. Shouldn't take so long though. If its not clear immediately dont give it.

Regardless of whether you think it was deliberate or not, it was in no way clear and obviously an incorrect decision and thus should not have been refererred to VAR. That it has divided us on here and it took the ref a good minute or so of viewing the incident to make up his mind is testament to that.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Possibly. Shouldn't take so long though. If its not clear immediately dont give it.

The problem is in real time it doesn't look like that. You really can't tell for sure. I would rather the ref took his time rather than made the wrong decision. I wouldn't like to call that penno. Still not sure now.

Never a penalty according to Shearer, Klinsmann, Ferdinand, Neville, Keane & Dixon.

Penalty according to Ian Wright only.

Anyone who thinks that's a penalty - just realise for a second that your knowledge of the rules of football is on a par with Ian Wright and think again.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Are we really surprised at these decisions though? They were wrong in my opinion but former Platini admitted that the 1998 draw was fixed to give France the best chance of reaching the final. France are a big nation unlike Croatia so will be naturally favoured. It’s wrong but that’s how the hierarchy works.

I hope Croatia win now because it would be a footballing injustice if France were to go on to win based on those decisions.

You can't fix a World Cup if the draw (route) is already predetermined and based on group placings. It's always been that the reigning champions and host nation will meet in the final if they both win their group. Nothing new there.

3 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Regardless of whether you think it was deliberate or not, it was in no way clear and obviously an incorrect decision and thus should not have been refererred to VAR. That it has divided us on here and it took the ref a good minute or so of viewing the incident to make up his mind is testament to that.

It's also for 'missed' incidents.

Yes it was a penalty. (Glad we didn't have VAR in 1966, wasn't needed with Mary Donna's hand or Neuer's 'save' from Lamps! Ref got those wrong all on his own)

No France's free kick should not have been given after a cheat dived with no contact.

Brilliant Croatian goal!

Come on Croatia!

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

You can't fix a World Cup if the draw (route) is already predetermined and based on group placings. It's always been that the reigning champions and host nation will meet in the final if they both win their group. Nothing new there.

Well Platini stated it, and Petit hinted at it. Why would Platini say that about his own countr?. The footballing hierarchy exists. Not saying this is fixed but if I was a Croatian player I’d be really annoyed. The World Cup final shouldn’t be affected by a refereeing decision. This is what he said source:sky news.

”The 62-year-old former France manager was laughing as he confessed: "We did a bit of trickery. When we were organising the schedule.

"We did not spend six years organising the World Cup to not do some little shenanigans. Do you think other World Cup hosts did not?"

2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think the hand moved towards the ball. Right decision. 

Or, the player was trying to move his hand towards his side to get it out of the way of the ball as it came across.

I have just done some slow motion analysis on this to determine the distances and times relating to the incident. The ball moved around 3 feet from the touch off the French player, and (this bit is a guess) the ball speed was around 60 feet per second based upon the time it took for the corner to reach the six yard box. So the time the ball took to travel from the French player to the Croatian player was approximately 0.05 seconds.

That is HALF THE TIME it takes for a sprinter to be disqualified for a false start (a reaction time of 0.1 seconds after the sound of the gun brings an instant disqualification)

Sorry, that was not deliberate handball (unless my arithmetic is wrong or the Croatian defender was super-human).

24 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

But VAR referred it to him, immediately puts him under pressure to give it.. It was not clear and obvious, so should never have got as far as it did. Could VAR have reversed the free kick decision for the first goal? That was clear and obvious..

No more pressure than being surrounded by 5 players and 50,000 fans. 

He had a chance to look at it 5 or 6 times and made a poor decision. 

Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, Gritters said:

The problem is in real time it doesn't look like that. You really can't tell for sure. I would rather the ref took his time rather than made the wrong decision. I wouldn't like to call that penno. Still not sure now.

He shouldnt take that long, he even made his decision then went back to check again. The game needs to flow still even with VAR.

A handball occurs if any player, other than the team's goalkeeper within his own penalty area, deliberately handles the ball when in play. A ball can be handled with any part of the arm, from the tips of a player's fingers right up to the shoulder.

Fifa Football Rules

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

Or, the player was trying to move his hand towards his side to get it out of the way of the ball as it came across.

I have just done some slow motion analysis on this to determine the distances and times relating to the incident. The ball moved around 3 feet from the touch off the French player, and (this bit is a guess) the ball speed was around 60 feet per second based upon the time it took for the corner to reach the six yard box. So the time the ball took to travel from the French player to the Croatian player was approximately 0.05 seconds.

That is HALF THE TIME it takes for a sprinter to be disqualified for a false start (a reaction time of 0.1 seconds after the sound of the gun brings an instant disqualification)

Sorry, that was not deliberate handball (unless my arithmetic is wrong or the Croatian defender was super-human).

You watch it in slow motion though. It all will be clear. That seems to be what the ref has based his decision on. 

Are you saying we need a team of mathematicians to work out ball speeds and reaction times to work out if it was deliberate. 

Archived