World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Gritters said:

You watch it in slow motion though. It all will be clear. That seems to be what the ref has based his decision on. 

Are you saying we need a team of mathematicians to work out ball speeds and reaction times to work out if it was deliberate. 

No just common sense...if its not obvious after a couple of quick views move along.

15 minutes ago, sage said:

No more pressure than being surrounded by 5 players and 50,000 fans. 

He had a chance to look at it 5 or 6 times and made a poor decision. 

Not denying it’s a bad decision by the ref but he had already made his decision by not giving it originally.. VAR gave him the opportunity he should never have had.

Refs live with pressure from players and fans all the time. Not when half a dozen muppets (who are part of VAR), in a studio rooster it up. He’s probably doubting his own name at that point..

14 minutes ago, Gritters said:

You watch it in slow motion though. It all will be clear. That seems to be what the ref has based his decision on. 

Are you saying we need a team of mathematicians to work out ball speeds and reaction times to work out if it was deliberate. 

No, just a bit of common sense. I can see that you are in the "Croatian superman" camp when presented with proof. I have just watched it again in slow motion - the Croatian defender's arm started to move when the ball hadn't even reached the French player, so at that time he clearly had no idea of where the ball was going to end up.

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

No, just a bit of common sense. I can see that you are in the "Croatian superman" camp when presented with proof. I have just watched it again in slow motion - the Croatian defender's arm started to move when the ball hadn't even reached the French player, so at that time he clearly had no idea of where the ball was going to end up.

I can't say I'm in any camp. I don't know how the ref made his decision it is very open to interpretation. Similar have been given in this world cup though.

40 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I hope Croatia win now because it would be a footballing injustice if France were to go on to win based on those decisions.

It won't. France deserve their lead and take the penalty out, they'd still be ahead. The free-kick that was given wasn't a free-kick, but you see decisions like that given every single game, if the goal hadn't been scored it wouldn't have got a mention. Croatia still had to defend the free-kick. They were too deep, shot themselves in the foot defending that set-piece and not for the first time this campaign.

France have more quality individually and that has shown. If they win the WC in the next seven minutes, it should be looked at more because of the influences of players like Mbappe and Pogba rather than VAR.

24 minutes ago, Gritters said:

No, we just need to use real time replays for VAR reviews rather than slow motion which can often make things look worse than they are.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Carnero said:

No, we just need to use real time replays for VAR reviews rather than slow motion which can often make things look worse than they are.

simple isnt it......totally agree

France could have made that more comfortable, but they were worthy winners. Croatia deserve a lot of credit, but they lost to a better team who looked well organised and had strength all over the park.

Umtiti was fantastic again, as he was all throughout the tournament.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

France could have made that more comfortable, but they were worthy winners. Croatia deserve a lot of credit, but they lost to a better team who looked well organised and had strength all over the park.

Umtiti was fantastic again, as he was all throughout the tournament.

Hehehehe...titi

In the end I am glad that France have won the final simply because of Croatia's approach to the England match where they were thugging and cheating all the way through, with a favourable amount of leniency from the match officials. The guys who scored against us shouldn't have been on the pitch by then because they should have both had two yellow cards. And it continued on today with someone in this thread asking if they were immune to yellow cards. Quite.

Re the penalty - the slow motion gives the game away because you see the arm move towards the ball after it comes over the striker's shoulder and then is flicked away after contact was made. Thankfully the result didn't hinge on that decision.

The turning point was that fabulous through ball to Mbappe by Paul Pogba - very George Thorne. If George doesn't make it, and this is his last "make or break" season, perhaps we should put in a cheeky bid for Pogba. His pass completely changed the play and resulted in his goal, and suddenly France were on the front foot.

The BBC pundits were horrendously biased towards Croatia, and never mentioned the lack of yellow cards for them, but then bias seems to be a pre-requisite for appearance on the BBC (the Biased Broadcasting Corporation). They did mention France's ability at game management, because they seemed to sit back and bide their time, and just up the tempo as and when they needed to.

The only thing wrong is that I had to choose to back the French, but I have a huge distaste for teams that use crude challenges and cheating, especially when it is condoned by the match officials. So well done France.

Archived