World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

8 hours ago, SaintRam said:

We would have also created 4 or 5 other chances as the ball was played to Lingard in the box but for some reason tonight the ball was just bouncing off him.

I agree, harsh on the performance to complain about chances.

Thought our general play was a bit less exhilarating than the Tunisia first half-hour. Don't get me wrong, we weren't dreadful but we seemed to have lost the one touch pass and move.

Plenty in the locker to see off the filthy dirty cheating dago drug fiends though, so all well.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Changes to FIFA World Ranking System...

After the World Cup, FIFA will use a new system for their World Rankings - based on the ELO system.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/fifa-revises-world-ranking-system-to-follow-a-modified-version-of-the-elo-system-now

England currently ranked 8th on the ELO system vs 12 in current FIFA rankings.

Im not sure about this ELO ranking system. I hope it doesn't bring us down.

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I was wondering, how good we’re we in 66. We’re we actually world beaters, one of the favourites, or was it a situation sort of like this, or Leicester winning the premier league, where the stars aligned, and everything went right, and we had a Russian linesman?

Team of the tournament by the Associated Press, so it shouldn't be biased:

Banks

Santos, Schulz, Moore, Marzolini

Beckenbauer, Charlton, Voronin

Bene, Eusebio, Simoes

BBC team of the tournament:

Banks

Sanchis, Schulz, Moore, Marzolini

Beckenbauer, Charlton, Voronin

Bene, Pelé, Eusebio

No real difference, so fair to say we at least had 3 of the best players, nobody else had more than 2. 

Personally I've only seen the final (a couple of times when re-shown on TV in the 80's and 90's) and we deserved the win on the day.

PistoldPete2
9 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Changes to FIFA World Ranking System...

After the World Cup, FIFA will use a new system for their World Rankings - based on the ELO system.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/fifa-revises-world-ranking-system-to-follow-a-modified-version-of-the-elo-system-now

England currently ranked 8th on the ELO system vs 12 in current FIFA rankings.

I'm all in favour of Mr Blue Sky thinking... Bring on the ELO system. 

43 minutes ago, Squid said:

They're worse than Liverpool fans!

ducking hell. You mean the penalty where the player literally made Harry Kane give him a piggy back. Stone wall in any continent. And the disallowed goal where the whistle had gone and the players had stopped a good 10 seconds before it went in the net (should’ve been a yellow card for playing on after the whistle). 

Weighed against the fact they absolutely should have had a player sent off (and probably a few more yellow cards, amounting to maybe one more sending off).

So that’s two correct decisions they’re protesting against, and one incorrect decision they’ve conveniently forgotten about. Let it go you poor, poor losers. You took it to penalties, you played your game well, you had you’re chance to win it, two of your penalty takers ducked it up. End of story.

I’m sure a lot of places had a modicum of respect for Colombia going into this World Cup. Not any more. 

16 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

ducking hell. You mean the penalty where the player literally made Harry Kane give him a piggy back. Stone wall in any continent. And the disallowed goal where the whistle had gone and the players had stopped a good 10 seconds before it went in the net (should’ve been a yellow card for playing on after the whistle). 

Weighed against the fact they absolutely should have had a player sent off (and probably a few more yellow cards, amounting to maybe one more sending off).

So that’s two correct decisions they’re protesting against, and one incorrect decision they’ve conveniently forgotten about. Let it go you poor, poor losers. You took it to penalties, you played your game well, you had you’re chance to win it, two of your penalty takers ducked it up. End of story.

I’m sure a lot of places had a modicum of respect for Colombia going into this World Cup. Not any more. 

I think a certain former manager of DCFC went on a opposite journey, previously dismissing them as a decent technical side lacking the toughness...

Archived