Unpopular opinions: Football but not DCFC

IlsonDerby

11 hours ago, McLovin said:

I Should have worded that better. The main problem in my eyes with the golden generation midfield is that the managers tried to fit them all into the same midfield. This detrimented the team as a whole and we ended up playing Scholes as a left midfielder and led to his retirement. What they should have done is played one of Hargreaves or Carrick as a defensive midfielder to provide a solid base then two of Lampard/Beckham/Scholes/Gerrard ahead of them to provide better balance. It’s not surprising that Gerrard and Lampard “could not play together” when they could not play their natural games as they didn’t know when to defend or attack, whereas Carrick or Hargreaves would have given them the platform to be more attacking.

Completely agreed. I think a big part of the problem was trying to shoe horn them all in combined with frequently  insisting on playing a front 2.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GadFly said:

Agree. 100%. I want to see Pep work with a team where he doesn't have infinitely better resources than the rest of the league he's operating in, or have the best player in the world. 

I never understand this argument. Different managers are good st different things.

Mourinho can create a siege mentality that will initiate a short period of success that may see a team punch above its weight. The problem is that this method has no longevity. He’s a top level Billy Davies. 

Guardiola can go in, build a team, have it playing the best football in the world and set up years of success. 

Both have spent money.

12 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Gazza was probably the best player we had in 25 years.

Here, here - though only up to his knee injury. His time at Newcastle and Spurs he was a class above. Only John Barnes in his first season at Liverpool has come anywhere near close to being able to win a game single handed.

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

There were similar worries ahead of Euro 2012 in Ukraine/Poland and the tournament ran smoothly so hopefully the Russian officials have taken note of what made their tournament successful.

I think the difference is Ukraine & Poland give a toss about how the world perceives them.  Russia could give a flying f...

12 hours ago, McLovin said:

I Should have worded that better. The main problem in my eyes with the golden generation midfield is that the managers tried to fit them all into the same midfield. This detrimented the team as a whole and we ended up playing Scholes as a left midfielder and led to his retirement. What they should have done is played one of Hargreaves or Carrick as a defensive midfielder to provide a solid base then two of Lampard/Beckham/Scholes/Gerrard ahead of them to provide better balance. It’s not surprising that Gerrard and Lampard “could not play together” when they could not play their natural games as they didn’t know when to defend or attack, whereas Carrick or Hargreaves would have given them the platform to be more attacking.

I think the problem was, the golden generation came about maybe 3-4 years to early.  When they were at their peak Sven was still enamored with 4-4-2 and playing  all the stars.  Then Mourinho came along and brought about playing one up top.  Imagine the below at Euro 2004 - 

----------------------James

Neville----------Campbell----Terry-------Cole A

-----------------Scholes----Hargreaves

Cole J---------------Lampard-------------Vassell

---------------------Rooney

That team would've done a lot better.  Sven killed any hope of those squads winning anything due to his devotion to Beckham and a tired system...

16 minutes ago, Spanish said:

not sure whether that is unpopular rather than an opinion that can no longer be articulated

Unfairly perhaps, but the minute the FA relegated Doncaster Belles at the start of a season so Manchester City Ladies could take their place was the minute I was done with it. 

New regulations nearly saw Yeovil Ladies automatically relegated as well but they were reprieved because they proved they were well run enough to be exempt. 

But the funding from the likes of Chelsea and City have already killed the competition off already. Yeovil Ladies were getting the biggest attendances in the WSL and run at a profit yet the disparity is so big already that they were relegated with just two points. 

In attempting to fast track it’s popularity rather than letting it grow organically has killed it for me. It should have been everything the men’s game isn’t. It would have for men’s football had I not been hooked early on.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I never understand this argument. Different managers are good st different things.

Mourinho can create a siege mentality that will initiate a short period of success that may see a team punch above its weight. The problem is that this method has no longevity. He’s a top level Billy Davies. 

Guardiola can go in, build a team, have it playing the best football in the world and set up years of success. 

Both have spent money.

What's not to understand. Anybody can buy 2 world class players in every position and then succeed in a league where you have a markedly better squad than every other club in the league. Pretty simple. 

4 minutes ago, GadFly said:

What's not to understand. Anybody can buy 2 world class players in every position and then succeed in a league where you have a markedly better squad than every other club in the league. Pretty simple. 

Why don’t they then? Why are United still pretty crap? 

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

United have spent gargantuan fees as well and are nowhere near City’s level?

Okay mate the Sheikh has nothing to do with it then.

Put Pep at Huddersfield and they'll win the champions league in no time. Got it. 

Just now, GadFly said:

Okay mate the Sheikh has nothing to do with it then.

Put Pep at Huddersfield and they'll win the champions league in no time. Got it. 

No, I’d expect him to build a side not to dissimilar to the current Fulham side 

39 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Players waving imaginary yellow cards after a foul that warrants it shouldn't upset anyone.

Players waving imaginary yellow cards after successfully duping the referee with a dive should be executed. 

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Women's football is utter tosh

BTW - I'm not saying women shouldn't have the right to play football, aren't able in some way, or that it shouldn't be supported and developed. I am just saying that the quality of football is woefully poor and that it does them no favours to over index it on media channels. The fact that a match which gets only 1,000 people to watch is making it as item four or five on the 5Live sports report is a bit strange.

I'd say the same about women's cricket and darts, though I have watched some excellent games of women's rugby. Similarly, just to be even and fair, men's netball is a shambles. Women's boxing is pretty poor to watch as well, though interestingly women's MMA is great VFM.

So, I stick by the statement - women's football is utter tosh but I add the caveat that as and when it improves to a level worth watching I will happily do so. Especially if the strikers are dead fit (OK, we can hopefully all see that last bit was a joke!)

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Completely agreed. I think a big part of the problem was trying to shoe horn them all in combined with frequently  insisting on playing a front 2.

We still could have fitted them in by playing a diamond, a bit like Real Madrid are currently using.

Robinson

Neville    Rio      Terry   Cole

Carrick/Hargreaves 

Scholes               Lampard

Gerrard

Rooney    Owen

Neville and Cole were fit enough to provide the width as they looked after their bodies. Gerrard was best behind a forward, Lampard said his best position was on the left side of a midfield. Scholes controlling the tempo, whilst having the protection behind them.

The above team would have been my personal team but there was no way that they would have dropped Beckham.

Archived