Official: Jody Morris appointed assistant manager

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m as excited as the next man about all this, but I do have a couple of sobering thoughts to bring it all down to earth (don’t know why I’ve decided to be a killjoy today, but it’s one of those days):

1) this is clearly a stepping stone for frank. So we may be in a no win situation. He does crap, and that’s not good, or he does well, and is instantly poached by a Chelsea. And doing well doesn’t necessarily mean promotion, it could be a narrow miss out through the play offs while playing great football. It would be fantastic for a season, then he’s off to Chelsea and we’re back to square one. 

2) Jody Morris is used to working with world class kids. We were all quite excited by clement, til we realised his tactics only worked in a team that included Bale and Ronaldo. Gove him some slightly above average championship footballers, and those same ideas don’t quite translate as well. 

In fact, speaking of Clement, is this not just an attempt to try the same again, with an untested, but potentially exciting coach.

3) if we do get promoted, do you reckon half our back room staff, and half our team (being Chelsea loanees) will have a clause to not play against Chelsea, like John Terry’s. We’ll end up in a situation where we might as well just forfeit the game, cos no one wants to win against their beloved Chelsea. 

I sincerely hope they bring us great success, and then fall a little bit in love with the club that gave them their first big chance. I hope that they’ll only leave when the England job becomes available, and we’ve got a champions league spot in the bag, and we’ve got world class managers queuing round the block to replace them. But I just have these little niggling concerns. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m as excited as the next man about all this, but I do have a couple of sobering thoughts to bring it all down to earth (don’t know why I’ve decided to be a killjoy today, but it’s one of those days):

1) this is clearly a stepping stone for frank. So we may be in a no win situation. He does crap, and that’s not good, or he does well, and is instantly poached by a Chelsea. And doing well doesn’t necessarily mean promotion, it could be a narrow miss out through the play offs while playing great football. It would be fantastic for a season, then he’s off to Chelsea and we’re back to square one. 

2) Jody Morris is used to working with world class kids. We were all quite excited by clement, til we realised his tactics only worked in a team that included Bale and Ronaldo. Gove him some slightly above average championship footballers, and those same ideas don’t quite translate as well. 

In fact, speaking of Clement, is this not just an attempt to try the same again, with an untested, but potentially exciting coach.

3) if we do get promoted, do you reckon half our back room staff, and half our team (being Chelsea loanees) will have a clause to not play against Chelsea, like John Terry’s. We’ll end up in a situation where we might as well just forfeit the game, cos no one wants to win against their beloved Chelsea. 

I sincerely hope they bring us great success, and then fall a little bit in love with the club that gave them their first big chance. I hope that they’ll only leave when the England job becomes available, and we’ve got a champions league spot in the bag, and we’ve got world class managers queuing round the block to replace them. But I just have these little niggling concerns. 

1) The sort of appointments that Chelsea make means Frank would have needed to win some trophies - so promotion as EFL champions and a sneaky League Cup win in our first season back! Then imagine the compensation money.

2) Jody Morris works with world class kids because he's at Chelsea but he knows our standard of football and what is needed. No worries there. Anyway, some of our youngsters are beating these world class kids at PL2 level these days. 

3) No, as they are signing contracts now when we are less likely to play them. Also, if we do play them and you want Chelsea to notice you, demonstrate you've got the beating of them. 

Hope this cheers you up and you have a better day tomorrow. 

39 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

There's no way Lampard will get the Chelsea job in the next 3 years. His plan has to be getting us up and challenging for the top half of the Premier League before Chelsea come in for him and his team. 

I really do hope that Chelsea get him, Morris and Terry in the next 5 years because their hard work paid off at the Rams.

This feels way too good to be true and even if this doesn't work then Mel has served his supporters something that will be talked about for years to come.

45 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

I am pretty sure this isn’t his Instagram 

Is it even The Neptune?

Terry's on holiday in Mykanos, Lampard's been in court all day supporting his wife and Morris Minor probably signed the contract days ago. Probably not very likely that they've all popped into the Neptune for one before going home.

@TigerTedd 

It's not Chelsea you'd have to worry about if Lampard does well. It's West Ham first. A club at the arse end of the PL sees a former player with strong club connections doing well just a few places below them... 

But this is why it's important that Lampard builds a young hungry fearless team. We need him to follow the vision Mel set out but abandoned for the flirting of Rowett and Pearson. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

@TigerTedd 

It's not Chelsea you'd have to worry about if Lampard does well. It's West Ham first. A club at the arse end of the PL sees a former player with strong club connections doing well just a few places below them... 

But this is why it's important that Lampard builds a young hungry fearless team. We need him to follow the vision Mel set out but abandoned for the flirting of Rowett and Pearson. 

Not that popular down West Ham is he after moving to Chelsea? 

Archived