Shackell or Butterfield?

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Also, fwiw I wouldn't get all "I'm offended" about his style comments, he was trying to ingratiate himself with wendies after I presume he'd been told straightforwardly about how Rowett saw the team. Trying to big himself up a bit "I'm not awful, just Rowett wants the ball forward and I'm allergic, I've a note from my mum"

Wasn’t so much offended, just thought they were silly comments to make when you were still under the employ of the club. Ingratiate yourself to your new fans by saying you’re looking forward to contributing to the teams success and that the way the team plays really suits you, but he seemed determined to get a dig or two in at us to promote himself.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Oh yeah. Meant £30k.

3 year deal = £4.5m. Bloody hell.

Are there others on this bunce?

Didn’t realise Peter Ridsdale was working in our recruitment / HR dept?! 

Nearly as bad Sam "financial fiduciary" Rush 

Most Burnley fans were annoyed about the sale of Shackell at the time because it seemed like Morris believed his wealth could "buy" promotion and destabalise a promotion rival still smarting from relegation. The loss of Ings and Trippier to top PL teams (Liverpool & Spurs) was understandable but it I think Shackell would still have gone to Derby for the money even if we had stayed up.

But subsequent events proved Burnley got the better of the deal as they overtook the Rams in January 2016.

13 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It wasn't just that, it was the way we spent the entire summer acting as if there were no other capable championship center backs in existence. And one who was particularly going to suit Clement. I appreciate we wanted an upgrade on Bucko, but to be that determined about that top end champ lower end pl defender?

Butterfield on the other hand, was the right kind of player, and I think we were initially in for him at £1.5m or so at which it wouldn't have particularly bad business...then Hughes and Bryson went down and Huddersfield knew they had us over a barrel needing midfielders in.

Of the two, I think Shackell was clearly a mistake, butters was an unfortunate one. I still believe he's a talented player but there's just something not quite there with him, and he's had all form and confidence destroyed at two clubs now.

Also, fwiw I wouldn't get all "I'm offended" about his style comments, he was trying to ingratiate himself with wendies after I presume he'd been told straightforwardly about how Rowett saw the team. Trying to big himself up a bit "I'm not awful, just Rowett wants the ball forward and I'm allergic, I've a note from my mum"

That bit in bold was exactly my issue with the Shackell transfer. Are we really suppsosed to believe the only suitable Championship standard centre half was a 32 year old for £3m. There was nobody else out there? Really?

Perhaps it's too late and his time is done but funnily enough the 3-4-2-1 system, playing as one of the 2 advanced midfielders/support attackers, would actually suit the Butterfield we thought we'd signed in 2015...!

PistoldPete2
20 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wouldn't surprise me to see Butterfield end up in the MLS after next season. He's made a fortune from his three years at Derby pocketing a near £30k a week and nobody else in the Championship will touch him when on those sort of wages.

Unless he takes a massive wage drop and play for somebody like Rotherham, I can't see him staying in the Championship and he certainly won't drop down to League One.

MLS is my bet.

If those wages are accurate that is silly ... Would be worth paying him to go away rather than pay his full wages. Mind u we do need a midfield player and he isn't that bad just not that good either. 

On 19/05/2018 at 12:05, Carnero said:

Perhaps it's too late and his time is done but funnily enough the 3-4-2-1 system, playing as one of the 2 advanced midfielders/support attackers, would actually suit the Butterfield we thought we'd signed in 2015...!

Ew no

On 18/05/2018 at 15:51, Mr Giggles said:

Butterfield made some harsh comments toward the club though, surely not the right attitude?

Shackell all the way for me.

How precious haha. He said wendies played football that suited him more, we all knew Carvalhal played t on the floor and we seemed more direct so it wasn’t like he lied...

I remember watching him play in that good spell pre-Christmas under Paul Clement. He was absolute class and I thought he'd end up being our player of the season.

Something went wrong somewhere along the line. I'm not quite sure what it was, but if I had to guess, I'd go for some sort of Nigel Pearson related trauma. Perhaps a game of Russian roulette during a "team-bonding exercise"... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/05/2018 at 12:47, StarterForTen said:

Lots of fans bemoan the business done to bring Jacob Butterfield to the club but it could be argued that bringing Shackell back was even worse.

£3million fee; 50-odd games played in three years; hefty wages and now released. I reckon he cost about £150k per game.

Ouch.

.....and Dyche wanted to keep him (sigh). Keane took Shackell's place and his career has nosedived since joining Everton, Perhaps Tarkowski and Mee should take note.

On 20/05/2018 at 20:40, Nuwtfly said:

I remember watching him play in that good spell pre-Christmas under Paul Clement. He was absolute class and I thought he'd end up being our player of the season.

Something went wrong somewhere along the line. I'm not quite sure what it was, but if I had to guess, I'd go for some sort of Nigel Pearson related trauma. Perhaps a game of Russian roulette during a "team-bonding exercise"... 

Probably Ro Sham Bo training where benevolent Nige did the kicking based on how much he thought they each needed it to toughen up.

I liked shackell. Disappointed when he left. The fee to bring him back was eye-watering but at the time we had started paying silly fees, and so had a lot of other teams. It was strange that we signed Pearce and then shortly after signed Shackell.

I agreed with the signing and even the fee. i agree with @Nuwtfly that the defence suddenly looked solid. The incident at rotherham doesn't bother me; it was a spur of the moment  thing in the heat of battle but it probably finished his career with us. Tbh that probably happens in numerous dressing rooms every year.

Regarding butterfield; when hughes and bryson got injured we had to do something. I was surprised we didn't go for bannan who cost less. We now know that the WMG element was a very significant factor regarding who we signed. I doubt whether there was anything sinister in that. I assume that Sam Rush's connections just meant Butterfield was more gettable than others. He played well in the advanced midfield position. Had great feet, and scored some good goals. The fee was too much but Johnsons fee was even worse. Once bryson and hughes recovered we should really have got rid of the replacemets but presumably there were no offers. The holding role didn't do butters any favours. He became far too risk averse. The backwards and sidewards passing drove everyone nuts, but presumably thats what he was instructed to do. The comments he made when he went out on loan are nothing and aren't worth getting excited about. A move is essential to get his career relaunched and reduce our wage bill. It didn't work out as a move, but thats football.

Should we have signed them?

shackell yes. Butters no.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

I liked shackell. Disappointed when he left. The fee to bring him back was eye-watering but at the time we had started paying silly fees, and so had a lot of other teams. It was strange that we signed Pearce and then shortly after signed Shackell.

The incident at rotherham doesn't bother me; it was a spur of the moment  thing in the heat of battle but it probably finished his career with us. Tbh that probably happens in numerous dressing rooms every year.

I still don't see as to why the Rotherham thing bothers people so much - In my opinion he had every right to get as angry as he did. We were all showing the same frustrations ourselves?

The defence would have been tired at that point in the game, therefore could have used some more reinforcement bu no, Wassall chucks more attackers on and we fluff it up.

21 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

A bit like being asked if you want a punch on the nose or a kick in the nuts.

Nothing against either of them tbh,not their fault they came on big money or high wages,

For personal reasons I’m not allowed to pick Shackell.

This - Can't help thinking the worm has turned though, finally some of these massive earners leaving rather than arriving...

Archived