Retained List Announced.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Indeed not - but hasn't there been occasional rumours of wage spirals as new signings are brought in on higher wages and then contracts for the players who are "flavours of the month" are renegotiated to play catch up?

Our overall wage envelope (quoted on some other thread) seems to have increased by a factor of almost 3 times since the last year of Clough.

Watching Rotherham v Scunny the other night, the match commentator said that the average championship wage bill in 2016/17 was £35m, which happens to be what our wage bill was in that season. Granted Newcastle & Villa will have bumped up that average, but so too would Burton & Rotherham have dragged it down. We're by no means the only over-payers in this crazy division.

1 minute ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Stabana had a trial with palace and there u23’s coach Richard Shaw was impressed, think his head was turned by that so think we’ll see him end up there

I know he had a trial but that'll be after he's been informed he'll be released, similarly we had a lad on trial from Arsenal.

More like the superb Jayden Bogle has leapfrogged Stabana in the pecking order!

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Especially when you consider that nobody sane would want to buy the likes of Butterfield.

Buy???  We'll be lucky give him away!!! Especially if any potential buyers were to visit the Wednesday forums...

13 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Watching Rotherham v Scunny the other night, the match commentator said that the average championship wage bill in 2016/17 was £35m, which happens to be what our wage bill was in that season. Granted Newcastle & Villa will have bumped up that average, but so too would Burton & Rotherham have dragged it down. We're by no means the only over-payers in this crazy division.

You sure he wasn't calling derby average and saying we had that wage bill? ? ?

24 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

There's still a place for Butterfield at Derby. Have you not seen how many they've released from the U23s. 

If he was as good at football as he is at appearing to a miserable, boring, emotionless ****wit, he'd be a world beater.  But he isn't, he's not a very good footballer at all.  I suspect Huddersfield are still laughing at fleecing us out of £4.5m...

3 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

I can’t see us releasing any as that’ll cost more in the outlay. I imagine a bulk will be sold low cost just to get them off the wage bill.  

Ideally Butters will get a loan somewhere that will cover his wages and that's the last we have to see of him.

Wonder the possibility of the loan swap with Winnall being renewed?

Pay off could suit us on players like this just as much as a loan move, us paying a proportion of their contract as severance, if they will take it, is no major difference to them going out on loan and us footing part of that bill. Plus could be mutually beneficial to 3 parties.

Its evident we have too many players - the ideal solution (however unlikely) is something like get rid of Butterfield and Bryson/Johnson/Ledley or whatever your preferred 2 are, bring in 1 quality replacement and bring in/promote 1 youngster to replace the other. Repeat throughout the squad as far as appropriate - doesn't necessarily have to be like for like as the balance will likely change if we intend to switch formations.

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Indeed not - but hasn't there been occasional rumours of wage spirals as new signings are brought in on higher wages and then contracts for the players who are "flavours of the month" are renegotiated to play catch up?

Our overall wage envelope (quoted on some other thread) seems to have increased by a factor of almost 3 times since the last year of Clough.

Rumours are exactly that but no doubt the wage bill has gone up dramatically since the days of Clough jnr but then so has the quality of player

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

So there was never a deal in place for Winnal after all.

Guess he just goes back to Weds to finish his rehab, bit of a bummer considering how much has come out of the club regarding him wanting to stay here.

This is a list of retained players under contract with the club. A deal may have been in place, but this list wouldn’t give any indication of whether there was or not

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

If he was as good at football as he is at appearing to a miserable, boring, emotionless ****wit, he'd be a world beater.  But he isn't, he's not a very good footballer at all.  I suspect Huddersfield are still laughing at fleecing us out of £4.5m...

We pursued him for a while as well. Desperate to get him. And some fans thought it was a coup. I'm not saying "I told you so" - I was just very skeptical about that spending spree we went on. It undid all the good work under Mac.

I've no problem with Chris Baird - done us a good job whenever he's been called on. I just think his wife is a bit of a plonker - she's often called us out on twitter, celebrated Fulham's win against us in the playoffs. Sometimes you need to know when to keep your mouth shut.

Archived