What do you think our Formation will be next season

I have been pondering this for a few weeks now.

Now that we are remaining in the Championship next season what do you think/hope will be our standard formation?

Will we keep the 3-4-2-1 or revert back to 4-2-3-1 or maybe slight variations on these themes?

Obviously incomings and outgoings will determine it to an extent, and probably the most influential being will we keep Vydra or sell him as he doesn't suit the new formation/capitalise on his current high value.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Now that we are remaining in the Championship next season what do you think/hope will be our standard formation?

Will we keep the 3-4-2-1 or revert back to 4-2-3-1 or maybe slight variations on these themes?

Obviously incomings and outgoings will determine it to an extent, and probably the most influential being will we keep Vydra or sell him as he doesn't suit the new formation/capitalise on his current high value.

He's not one for change...I bet he goes back to 4231 with new players.

If Vyds does leave, I think we'd get better effect from Lawrence in that role, so we could continue the 9 + 10 front two in a 4231 or otherwise. If we're going to do that though, we need a couple of genuine wide players - with young Thomas in the mix.

Who knows though? I don't get the impression Rowett is that fussed about formation, so whichever way we go we need square pegs in square holes, unlike this year where, for presumably good reasons, we've always looked a bit cobbled together squad wise.

My prediction and hope is that we get two genuine wide forwards/attacking midfielders in, then we can play 4-3-3 / 4231.

If we dont.... then we should stay with the 3 at the back, and allow wingbacks to provide the width... if this happens, I see Anya getting more game time too.

It probably suits both Fozzy and keogh this system, and allows them to bring the ball out occasionally.

One thing is for sure, Palmer (not that he is staying), and lawrence are not natural wide players!

Our lack of width really hurt us after xmas this season before the switch in formation.

4-3-2-1

Carson

Wisdom   X   Davies   X

X     Huddlestone   X

X                            Lawrence

X

X = position in which we need recruitment

Lawrence and X play closely to the striker there role is of a LF and RF

18 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

4-3-2-1

Carson

Wisdom   X   Davies   X

X     Huddlestone   X

X                            Lawrence

X

X = position in which we need recruitment

Lawrence and X play closely to the striker there role is of a LF and RF

LOL, so you think or is it hope we will have 6 new starters next season?

8 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

In the first place it all depends on the personnel which will be available in the first team.

I'd guess it'll be well-known 4-2-3-1 or either a some sort of modified 3-4-2-1 system. 

No chance for 4-3-3, it's not Gary's style.

I don't think Rowett will ever go 4-3-3 either. I don't think he thinks Huddlestone can do it. The nearest would be a 4-5-1 but that'd be more sacrificing an attacker for a midfielder.

But he's at least pragmatic enough to not try to make unsuitable players a 4-4-2 team because that what he does.

All my optimism is we just get much better at being a Rowett team. Won't be pretty, hopefully be effective. Mel's turning off the tap so we need a shade of realism next season.

I'd like it to change depending on opponent. I've no objection to running a counter attack system against a possession based team, but would like another option we could use against lowly visitors who want to park the bus, and that we could switch to if we fell behind in a game. 

22 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The nearest would be a 4-5-1 but that'd be more sacrificing an attacker for a midfielder.

I was playing a little bit with my PS.

I'd say he could also try this 3-5-2 system, depending on which players will he sell or acquire in the summer.

downloadcccc.jpg

I think he will adopt multiple formations depending on the opposition and have a group of young hungry players to play in those positions.................oh wait, that was last year!!!

Carson

Wisdom       Davies     Souttar

Bogle                  Woods.         Thorne               Knudsen

Dack                      Maddison

Marriott.

elsnick, Thomas, Lawrence, Guy, Hudds, Jerome, Ledley, Pearce/Keogh, Lowe, Fozzy, Johnson in and around the fist team as games suit.

Youth, pace, vision, creativity 

5 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I think Gary will double down on his defensive mindedness and go for a flat back 10.

No idea, we sold Christie who couldn’t defend then sign Wisdom who can only defend then when it comes down to it we are playing wing backs in the money matches with a Wisdom who can’t attack and Christie watching from the opposition bench - you couldn’t make it up 

On 16/05/2018 at 17:55, Sparkle said:

No idea, we sold Christie who couldn’t defend then sign Wisdom who can only defend then when it comes down to it we are playing wing backs in the money matches with a Wisdom who can’t attack and Christie watching from the opposition bench - you couldn’t make it up 

Some of the better opportunities in the Fulham home leg came from Wisdom down the right hand side. The Vydra goal v Cardiff came from Wisdom keeping the Cardiff player under pressure, nicked the ball and passed it.

He's improving going forward. He's no Fredericks, granted, but he can attack.

Archived