Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

4 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

20 zones suck balls . 30 I can deal with...20 is way too slow lol

Grrrr damn you lol

Four years ago II was 'invited' to take part in a speed awareness course. I was in a line of traffic all doing 35 mph so I assume we all got 'done.'

Some on the course had been caught doing 2mph over the 30 mph limit.

A number on a white background in a red circle denotes the fastest legal speed in Miles per Hour. Going ANY faster is an offence under civil law.

(still annoying though!)?

17 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Four years ago II was 'invited' to take part in a speed awareness course. I was in a line of traffic all doing 35 mph so I assume we all got 'done.'

Some on the course had been caught doing 2mph over the 30 mph limit.

A number on a white background in a red circle denotes the fastest legal speed in Miles per Hour. Going ANY faster is an offence under civil law.

(still annoying though!)?

Isn't there a 10 percent grace ?

41 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Isn't there a 10 percent grace ?

Depends. Some forces don't follow that any more.

My understanding is that the 10% thing was to allow for speedometer innacuracy - which is far less of a problem now than it used to be. In fact, most modern speedos over-state your speed. usually when I go through one of those speed check things, my dashboard says 30 and the checker says 27 or 28.

So, if you're actually doing 32, then you should be aware of your speedometer saying 34-35mph.

That's what I've been told, anyway.

6 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

My understanding is that the 10% thing was to allow for speedometer innacuracy - which is far less of a problem now than it used to be. In fact, most modern speedos over-state your speed. usually when I go through one of those speed check things, my dashboard says 30 and the checker says 27 or 28.

So, if you're actually doing 32, then you should be aware of your speedometer saying 34-35mph.

I believe I'm right in saying that it is illegal for any manufacturer to have their speedo's reading low, and they face stringent checks and severe penalties if they do.  Hence them more likely to read high than low (although there are still specific tolerances to work to, of course).

A bit like a bakers dozen of yore!  

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I believe I'm right in saying that it is illegal for any manufacturer to have their speedo's reading low, and they face stringent checks and severe penalties if they do.  Hence them more likely to read high than low (although there are still specific tolerances to work to, of course).

A bit like a bakers dozen of yore!  

Usually my sat nav tells me im doing 2 or 3 mph lower than my car does,  the gap increases the faster im going.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Usually my sat nav tells me im doing 2 or 3 mph lower than my car does,  the gap increases the faster im going.

Yes, mine used to be 2 or 3 mph out too, but can't remember which way now. (My new built in sat nav doesn't show the speed).

Of course, a sat nav won't be calibrated in the same way as the car's speedo, (and won't be covered by the strict laws governing the speedo), so I doubt the law would even acknowledge the speed shown on a sat nav?

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yes, mine used to be 2 or 3 mph out too, but can't remember which way now. (My new built in sat nav doesn't show the speed).

Of course, a sat nav won't be calibrated in the same way as the car's speedo, (and won't be covered by the strict laws governing the speedo), so I doubt the law would even acknowledge the speed shown on a sat nav?

No of course. My inbuilt one doesnt either. But if i plug Waze in it does and thats consistent with my older dashboard mounted sat nav.

Only one way to be sure and thats stick to what the car says.

14 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

That's harsh tbh 

No point having a limit if you can exceed it though without punishment if caught. If you officially allow some leeway do you do it with things like drink driving? Well he was only just a bit over so i'll let him off?

20 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

As i stated in the original rant, they were 3 abreast in certain groups (there were around 20 riders) and their little convoy stretched for around 50 meters, so didn't exactly give much space to overtake on the stretch of Markeaton Lane that runs past Mundy Play Centre car park.  I had to wait for the funkin idiots to pass tight left/right handers just past the garden centre before overtaking their stuck up, inconsiderate little party...

They are encouraged to ride like that rather than in a line, to force motorists to move to the other side of the road to over take. Considerate cyclists, if riding in large groups will leave sufficient space between each 'set' of riders to allow traffic to overtake, many do not though.

22 hours ago, McRamFan said:

You do know that 30 is the limit and not a target speed?  Maybe they are driving at that speed because the area is built up, has cars parked on either side of the road or near a school.

There is something in the highway code also about 'making good progress'. So while it isnt a target no, its also an indicator of the maximum safe speed to drive on that road. If there is a school the speed limit will often be limited to 20. And those parking either side of the road cause more danger than those cars driving along it.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Am I right in thinking those green "20mph zone" signs outside a school are advisory only, and not legally enforceable?
I'm sure I read that somewhere not so long back, but I can't be arsed to Google it!

#lazyjournalism

if they are displayed in a circle with a red border they are mandatory, i think if they are on a board with flashing lights its not mandatory. That said if you exceed the speed in an area where the is an advisory limit and you cause an accident then the charge would be something like careless or dangerous driving.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

There is something in the highway code also about 'making good progress'. So while it isnt a target no, its also an indicator of the maximum safe speed to drive on that road. If there is a school the speed limit will often be limited to 20. And those parking either side of the road cause more danger than those cars driving along it.

No there is not.  It is an expectation of examiners during the driving test.  It is to identify drivers that are not confident too drive with traffic flow.

25 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

No point having a limit if you can exceed it though without punishment if caught. If you officially allow some leeway do you do it with things like drink driving? Well he was only just a bit over so i'll let him off?

Drink driving is more dangerous than going 33 in a 30 zone 

18 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

If you swap for a larger tyre size your true speed will be faster than with the smaller tyres with the same speedometer reading. 

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Am I right in thinking those green "20mph zone" signs outside a school are advisory only, and not legally enforceable?
I'm sure I read that somewhere not so long back, but I can't be arsed to Google it!

#lazyjournalism

My understanding is...

GREEN 20 signs are a suggestion typically for specific times
20 ZONES are supposed to be self enforced, but you can still be penalised for speeding if caught.
20 LIMITS are where there road naturally leads to a low speed anyway. You can also be penalised if caught speeding.

2 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

20 ffs

Soon they will having 10s and 5s 

So slow ffs

20 is only for areas that have a higher risk of injury for pedestrians. If you are near a school and a child runs out and you hit them at 20 they stand a significantly greater chance of surviving or avoiding serious injury than if you hit them at 30